Shop in Los Angeles?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kewltea

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
I'm new to all this and been reading this forum to get info. It is all very confusing!! My main goal is to recieve chinese stations. I know I need a 30in dish, motor, reciever and a KU LNBF (single, dual, quad???). I would like to buy this stuff locally in Los Angeles if possible. Can anyone recommend a shop? I found this one on craigslist http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ele/254593173.html Anyone have experience with them?

have no dealings with the mentioned but i can reccomend the sponsors listed above. Satellite AV & Sadoun are both active here on the boards and will help you with any information you might need. I would consider the follow-up support the most important..... anyone can sell it to you but will they help you with it???
a lot of the guys here will tell you they will follow up with the support.

good luck

I'm new to all this and been reading this forum to get info. It is all very confusing!! My main goal is to recieve chinese stations. I know I need a 30in dish, motor, reciever and a KU LNBF (single, dual, quad???). I would like to buy this stuff locally in Los Angeles if possible. Can anyone recommend a shop? I found this one on craigslist http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ele/254593173.html Anyone have experience with them?

I have deal with them since they are local to me. An ex-boss of mine (before I was self employed) needed a setup for Iranian channels. So I got all requiered hardware (30" Fortec Dish and Fortec LNBF) for $45.

The best thing is that there is no need for shipping expenses and waiting for the items to arrive.

I found them on google and they were actually good people.
Of course, the choice is yours. If you need to talk to me re: this, shoot me a PM with your email address so I can email you my cell #

BTW: I just checked at http://www.fortecstar.com/distributor/ShowDistributors.asp?CCode=USA and they are one of Fortec's Los Angeles area distributors.

Last edited:
You may already have found a satisfactory answer, but let me say...

I've bought from several of this site's sponsors including Sadoun for FTA equipment and been very pleased.

As for local, I ran across DishExperts in the Valley (just north of LA) when searching for west coast dealers.
They also have a Canadian address.
Just haven't done any business with them.

edit: just checked the Craig's List link... DishExperts... :rolleyes:

I've bought from Dish Experts, which is located in an industrial section of Glendale. They don't have a store per se. It's more of an office with a warehouse in the back. What's great about them is they're open on Saturdays until around 2 PM (but call them first). They also offer a cash and carry discount from what you see on their website.

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from them, and the quality of the their goods and service have been very good.

...just thinkin' out loud...

BTW: I just checked ... and they are one of Fortec's Los Angeles area distributors.
Makes that 180cm Fortec Star dish sound even better: no shipping.
Or their 120cm , which costs even more to ship...
clayface1000 said:
They also offer a cash and carry discount from what you see on their website.
...but they might have to special-order a 4' of 6' dish for ya...
Should we see about getting these guys to advertize on SatelliteGuys??

I've bought from Dish Experts, which is located in an industrial section of Glendale. They don't have a store per se. It's more of an office with a warehouse in the back. What's great about them is they're open on Saturdays until around 2 PM (but call them first). They also offer a cash and carry discount from what you see on their website.

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from them, and the quality of the their goods and service have been very good.

Hey clay... how is going? I do remember me sending you to that place for your 36" dish last year.

I did not know they open on saturdays.. that is great.

Hey Pro! Yes, I owe this contact to you -- credit should go where it's deserved! :)

Yes, they (me) all lived happily ever after with the 90cm dish -- until Expressvu moved their 82 degree beam away from me, thus rendering the purchase a waste of money. It's still sitting up on my roof collecting grime and soot.

Their Saturday hours are a major plus, as I can't get there on weekdays. Plus they have a nice selection of FTA accessories. My favorite bargain of their's is a $10.00 signal meter which works great for setting up DBS. I can't believe I used to haul my receivers up to the roof to peak the signals.

The largest dish I recall seeing there is a 1.2 meter job. Perhaps they can special order...

Hey Pro! Yes, I owe this contact to you -- credit should go where it's deserved! :)

Yes, they (me) all lived happily ever after with the 90cm dish -- until Expressvu moved their 82 degree beam away from me, thus rendering the purchase a waste of money. It's still sitting up on my roof collecting grime and soot.

Their Saturday hours are a major plus, as I can't get there on weekdays. Plus they have a nice selection of FTA accessories. My favorite bargain of their's is a $10.00 signal meter which works great for setting up DBS. I can't believe I used to haul my receivers up to the roof to peak the signals.

The largest dish I recall seeing there is a 1.2 meter job. Perhaps they can special order...

Yeah I hear ya on Bell's 82w problems here in Socal. I sold my 6100 last June for the same reason.

It is great having a local place for FTA needs w/o the shipping headaches. Good to hear from you again.

Ok, I am going to go check this place out tomorrow. Probably gonna get their dish and lnb combo deal. My main goal is to get the chinese stations. Should I get the 30in or 36 in dish? Also they say it comes with a "standard" lnb. Is this ok or should I upgrade it? thanks.

Funny, under Dishes, their site only lists 80 and 90 cm Fortec Star dishes.
Aren't those 30 and 36 inch?
Under Dish+LNB, they also list some other brand of 33 inch dishes.

Guess it comes down to whether you are going to go signal-hunting, or just turn it over to the family to -watch-.
And will you run one receiver or two - if 2 you might want to get a dual output LNB.
I don't know the signal level of the channels you'll be watching, but if they are moderately strong, the bigger dish and better LNB might not be warranted.
When was the last time you saw long-term heavy rains or bad weather in the area? ;)

Then again, I was always a sucker for having maximum safety margin.

Ask at the dealer for a recommendation. They know their equipment and the satellites.

Also they say it comes with a "standard" lnb. Is this ok or should I upgrade it? thanks.

By standard, they mean as opposed to a universal. In the United States, a universal is not really needed (only one satellite has only one channel that requires a universal). A standard should work well for you.

Advantage of a standard is that you can use 22k switching with them. They are also more sat-meter friendly :)

Kewltea, are you interested in buying my 36 inch dish? As I said, it's still sitting on my roof and I will probably never use it again. I also have a nearly new Invacom LNB that was only exposed to the elements for a couple of weeks before I took it off because I could no longer receive the Expressvu signals. If you're interested, please PM me!

Hi Clay

I just picked up the 31in dish this morning!! I'm gonna mess with that one first. It'll be for my parents, but if I decide to get one for myself, I'll give you a hollar.

Where are you located in LA specifically?

Kewltea, are you interested in buying my 36 inch dish? As I said, it's still sitting on my roof and I will probably never use it again. I also have a nearly new Invacom LNB that was only exposed to the elements for a couple of weeks before I took it off because I could no longer receive the Expressvu signals. If you're interested, please PM me!

Thanks, Kewltea. I'm glad you got what you needed! No worries on the dish. I'm just in spring cleaning mode and trying to get rid of unneeded stuff that's been accumulating. FYI, I'm in Playa del Rey...

Thanks, Kewltea. I'm glad you got what you needed! No worries on the dish. I'm just in spring cleaning mode and trying to get rid of unneeded stuff that's been accumulating. FYI, I'm in Playa del Rey...

Man, I wish you said somethign earlier. Im in Culver City!!! Much closer than Glendale. (altought I got friend to pick it up for me :))

Might be interested in the LNB though. The one I wasn't a fortec like I had expected. It's made my Microelectronics Technology. Is that any good?

Hi Clay

I just picked up the 31in dish this morning!! I'm gonna mess with that one first. It'll be for my parents, but if I decide to get one for myself, I'll give you a hollar.

Where are you located in LA specifically?

Hey Kewltea, did they hook you up with a Fortec 31" and Fortec LNB for $50 OTD like I say they would?

Kewltea, please PM if you're interested in the LNB. I also have a three LNB offset bracket (never used), plus a couple of no-name circular polarization LNBs -- all purchased from Dish Experts.

I'm not an FTA maven by any means, so I'm not able to address how good the Microelectronics Technology LNB is...

kewltea, let me know how your setup goes. I'm trying to do the same thing as you; get the chinese channels for my parents. I'm a total newb with this FTA stuff and just started doing some research on it. I'm local to the LA area as well, so any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. GL thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)