DVB-S or DVB-S2, SDTV or HDTV receiver which type to choose?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mattwj2005

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
Hi Guys,

I am looking at receivers and I am wondering if I should spend extra money and get an HDTV and a DVB-S2 receiver. What do you guys think? Is there that much content out there that would make it worth it?

Thanks.

Matt

They have receivers that do both (Coolsat 8000 being one). It does HD & DVB-S2 out of the box. Only drawback is no blind scan

I use a Coolsat 5000 to blind scan then load the HD stuff into the 8000

I appreciate all of the great advice. This will be my first satellite system of any kind and definitely my first FTA setup. Here are a few systems I have been looking at:

Motorized Free To Air Satellite system will allow you to move the dish to several satellites to watch more channels.  A powerful solution if your favorite channels are available over several satellites. The receiver's remote control will actually con

Either one of these system with the link above. I definitely think I want to go motorized.

Here are some other systems that have caught my interest:

GOsatellite.com - FTA Receiver - Viewsat Ultra

GOsatellite.com - FTA Receiver - Captiveworks CW-800S

GOsatellite.com - FTA Receiver - Viewsat Max

I guess the main reason that I started this thread was because I wanted to know how much HD and DVB-S2 content was out there and if it was worth the extra investment.

If you look at my previous threads you'll see that I don't have the best view of the sky, but I would definitely like to get this try and see what I can pick up.

So please let me know what you guys think.

Matt

There's very little full-time HD on Ku-Band (PBS is about it), but there are plenty of feeds that come and go all the time. There aren't a whole lot of DVB-S2 channels either, but that is likely to change in the future (as is the lack of full-time HD).

Are there any DVB-S2 and HDTV systems that have blind scan?

Thanks for all of the help!

Matt

The Pansat 9200 has blind scan, can receive HD, and can receive DVB-S2 with an optional add-on card... BUT... The 9200 will NOT blind scan DVB-S2. The PVR function of this receiver is buggy, and it uses a non-standard file system for recording. Therefore, I don't recommend it. The Coolsat 8100 does everything you ask EXCEPT blind scan. You can use a standard definition receiver to blind scan the satellites, then take the info from the blind scan and manually add it to the HD receiver.

The Coolsat 8100 does everything you ask EXCEPT blind scan. You can use a standard definition receiver to blind scan the satellites, then take the info from the blind scan and manually add it to the HD receiver.

I have the 8000 and use my Coolsat 5000 to blind scan then load the HD channels into the 8000

Here are some other systems that have caught my interest:
Viewsats and Captiveworks are on my $^&*% list, so if there's a good one in the bunch, I wouldn't know.
Search this site for the names of the particular models, and see if there are favorable comments or not.
I can't say one way or the other.

Viewsat max (vsmaxhd)

I just received a Viewsat max today and was severely disappointed that it wouldn't blind scan well at all ! Now I'm trying to find out what the problem is, looks like I'm not alone on this matter. As Ice had pointed out, I was expecting to blind scan w/Pansat 2700a and transfer data to vsmax. Yea, I'm bummed out about it. The Vsmax does have a nice picture. The menu texted is small, hard to read, jumbo-tron needed ! best wishes

Many of the new HD services are using 4:2:2 video. None of the receivers mentioned (Viewsat, Coolsat, Pansat) will demodulate this format. They will only decode 4:2:0 video.

The Quali receiver will decode 4:2:2 video, but it does not accommodate mpeg4.

I haven't seen any good solutions for this dilema.

Bottom line is that there is no one box does it all solution currenty.:( I think it's a conspiracy to keep us buying different things.

The closest you would probably ever get to an everything box that doesn't blindscan is a DVB-S2 card for your (high powered) computer. That way you get 4:2:0, 4:2:2, SD, HD, and DVR capabilities.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)