DVB-S2 capable receivers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Bottom line is no one can answer this question yet as they haven't changed it yet and we don't know what the parameters of the new signal will be and what FEC rate they'll be using.
right now they use 3/4 on their C-Band DVB-S2 mux with around 22 channels on it

I will say this, 8psk does definitely tend to need a bigger dish.
I locked KU on AMC2 with a 30" and it was max meter (99) so not necessarily

right now they use 3/4 on their C-Band DVB-S2 mux with around 22 channels on it

Yes, by understanding is that hasn't always been the case. It's possible I could be misinformed but I heard the FEC rate was different at one time. If that's so, then it's conceivable they could change it in the future as they add more channels to the mux to squeeze in more bandwidth.

I locked KU on AMC2 with a 30" and it was max meter (99) so not necessarily

I never said it might not be possible to lock some signals on a smaller dish, but there are many factors that come into play like FEC rates, whether they are other carriers sharing the same transponder, whether there are carriers on the same frequency or overlapping frequencies on an adjacent satellite, etc. I just think people need to be prepared and have realistic expectations and realize that the trend is toward higher order modulation methods and those modulation methods often time need a larger reflector. I think it would be wise from here on out to encourage people to get the largest dish they possibly can.

Yes, by understanding is that hasn't always been the case. It's possible I could be misinformed but I heard the FEC rate was different at one time. If that's so, then it's conceivable they could change it in the future as they add more channels to the mux to squeeze in more bandwidth.
you might be thinking of the mux on G3 C-band which is 7/8 FEC which is hard to lock and keep stable on a smaller dish.

Equity has 3 muxes out there
-G26 DVB-S2 at 3/4 FEC
-G3 C-Band DVB at 7/8 FEC
-3 muxes on G10 KU DVB at 3/4 FEC

Would it be possible to have a DVB-S2 FAQ sticky? Perhaps what receivers currently available. I think this will cut down on asking the same questions as this format becomes more popular among broadcasters.

I try to keep up with new things that interest me.
DVB-S2 is totally out of control.
Iceberg said:
-G26 DVB-S2 at 3/4 FEC
That was one of the most useful and interesting posts I've seen in a while!

I'm still looking for where Gary / GAS posted about 6' dishes for S2 (C-band?)
Hopefully not for Ku! ;)
I've begun to think it was on a link to Equity somewhere, since it doesn't seem to be on SatGuys.

Receiver suport is abysmal at best!
Not being able to blind scan an S2 is awful.
Not being able to input parameters from the front panel is the last straw.
Would it be possible to have a DVB-S2 FAQ sticky? Perhaps what receivers currently available. I think this will cut down on asking the same questions as this format becomes more popular among broadcasters.
I'll second that !

And as much as I hate to suggest another FTA Department, what about it?
Can we drum up an S2-only section embracing Ku, C-band, STBs, and PCi cards?
No, on second thought, let's find a way to not make a new forum department.
Perhaps a locked S2 FAQ, with Iceberg promoting (or copying) useful posts to it, would be more appropriate, and sufficient.

you might be thinking of the mux on G3 C-band which is 7/8 FEC which is hard to lock and keep stable on a smaller dish.

-G26 DVB-S2 at 3/4 FEC

Slightly off topic but I have noticed my G3-C Equity quality has increased lately. It used to be around 76, lately I've seen it hitting as high as 90. Just wondering if something has changed on Equity's end?

I noticed that too tvro.Use to be at 65 or so on the 6 footer and over the weekend it was at 78 or so on the Pansat 1500 :)

nice and stable

:up:D:) Cool! is the FEC still 7/8? My 2700 don't tell me that.

the Visionsat shows it as 7/8 FEC (when you hit info on a channel it shows the fec) but the 1500 is what was using to aim. I was shocked the other day when it was up to 75+ nice and stable :)

Seems to me it would be a good promotional move for Equity to order and sell some of those receivers to folks like us. I know Gary said they had used or seen some of them that work. Guess it's still just too early in the S2 game for any dealer to start worrying over.

. . . a good promotional move for Equity to order and sell some of those receivers . . .
Or what about some co-marketing hype?
I can see it now: "Equity-certified S2 receivers from ______"
Someone is missing a marketing coupe!

Is there enough quantity to attract one of our resident dealers?
There certainly is time to set it all up and get the wheels in motion.

I know Gas is very helpful in keeping us up to date on changes and happenings with Equity's channels, but does Equity really want us watching their programming? If its being distributed by cable or pay satellite, are they not losing out on revenue when we watch it on FTA? Does their license to show the old shows cover anywhere they might be seen, or only a limited market? I'd hate to spoil a good thing by pissing off someone at the top who might think its not in equity's best interests to be seen all over North America on FTA.

They know, I'm sure. And I do not have any hopes that their signals will go on in the clear forever. Everything FTA , I look at as 'temporary'. If they do encrypt (which costs money of course) in the future I do hope they will use a system that FTA receivers with cards could receive. A small fee for the programming wouldn't upset me, even with all the commercials
they have. As long as there is no contract!!!!

I know Gas is very helpful in keeping us up to date on changes and happenings with Equity's channels, but does Equity really want us watching their programming?

He did say when they went to DVB-S2 it would stay free :)

Does their license to show the old shows cover anywhere they might be seen, or only a limited market?
There are some free channels up there that are in the same market. Look at TLN & ION on AMC1 C-band. They have shows that I can see on a different channel locally.

The channels are fine tuned programming wise for the local market that its suppose to be for because some programs are picked up by other chanenls in the market.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)