DVB-S2 capable receivers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would doubt that they would have the licensing for for their programs in Canada, but their satellite and OTA signals are spilling over into Canada. Many of the newer OTA transmission towers near the boarder are having directional antennas to focus their signals to their respective countries. See this link for the towers near the Toronto area and see what I am talking about. (The circles under the power level)
Toronto, Ontario & Buffalo, New York HDTV Channel Map

But one thing everyone forgets is that equity is purchasing distribution rights to programming content from Viacom (all those old CBS shows). So the question is what are the terms and conditions of Equity's contract with them with regard to how the cost is calculated with respect to their number of viewers and markets that equity distributes this content to and how do FTA viewers fit into this equation? My guess is they don't fit into the equation as there would be no way to gauge the total number of FTA viewers and there's probably no way that would be acceptable to both equity and viacom to fit them into the equation. If Viacom became aware of the fact that the programming equity was purchasing from them was being view by a significant number of "unauthorized" (in their mind) viewers what do you think they might do? If anyone recalls Equity has already in the past encrypted some stations. They didn't do so because they themselves wanted to encrypt those stations. They did so because the network they were purchasing programming rights from (Fox) demanded it. This demonstrates why there might be a need for discretion with regard to FTA channels like this even though the people who are actually uplinking the signals might not care. Yes, FTA signals come and go and we'll probably lose these channels anyway someday. But why run the risk of hastening the arrival of that day by being reckless and careless and posting information all over the internet where search engine can easily find it. Don't you think it would be better to err on the side of caution and exercise a little bit of good judgment by using a little discretion?

If anyone recalls Equity has already in the past encrypted some stations. They didn't do so because they themselves wanted to encrypt those stations. They did so because the network they were purchasing programming rights from (Fox) demanded it.
correct. They also did it with the Anchorage channels on AMC7 C-Band but it was due to an idiot. Mike Kohl posted it a while back
mike kohl said:
The reason that the Anchorage channels were encrypted was because some idiot in Arizona called up their local Fox affiliate and bragged that he could get out of market football from the Anchorage Fox station KTBY.
That's just pure stupidity right there.

Iceberg, I didn't know that about the Alaskan mux. This example just proves that those of us who object to the open discussion of feeds are not paranoid, but rather are concerned (with good reason) about that information becoming common knowledge.

This is getting off topic. Back to... What receivers are there out there now that will receive the (RTN) DVB-S2 signals? (C-band for now) A list of those that the members have had success with and those that they have tried and can not receive the programming would be a great reference.

I have the Diamond 9000 HD, and it does receive RTN DVB-S2. I also tested the DVBWorld DVB-S2 PCI card and it too reveived RTN DVB-S2.

Pansat 9200

I thought the pansat 9200 had a pvr with it. I guess not. What are the only receiver with both pvr and dvb-s2? Diamond 9000 and Coolsat 8100 hd. Is that it? Dennis

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)