DVD Recorders to use with VOOM?

Acerone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2003
Long Island
Now that I have Voom I think it's time for a DVD recorder. Which one do you guys recommend? Also would it also record and play back in HD.

Chris,

there is no dvd-hd recorder in the market. There is a dvd-sd recorder but not hd. This is why firewire output is very important so that we can archieve to tape using one those jvc units the hd content.

Sean,
Does Voom's receiver have a firewire output that the JVC D-VHS recorder would need to record satellite channels in High Def??? I hope I understand that correctly? Thanks, Harry

DVD Recorder

I also have a similar interest in DVD Recording or High Def recording with D-VHS. My voom Installation is scheduled for Wednesday January 7th and I'm very excited! Right now Tivo doesn't have Voom support, so I am keeping Comcast basic cable on my SD-TV (temporarily). I am hoping that TIVO will have a standalone HD model soon with Voom support or either a DVD+r/rw model this year. Pioneer's Tivo-DVD recording models are DVD-r/rw, and I prefer the DVD+ media. How do you like your Voom service? I'm really looking forward to the Monster channel, as I'm a kid that never grew up at heart...Harry

Harry,

the Voom receiver does not currently have firewire. It has been speculated that there might be a free upgrade available. Firewire will provide the only way to record from the High Definition channels of VOOM.

I like VOOM as you may have read from othe posts I have made. It gives you the flexibility of watching ONLY HD channels all the time. As more programming becomes available, it can only get better. More HD channels will make it even better. Let us know all the details of your January 7th installation (whether good or bad). As you know, VOOM does look at this forum (and others) and our negative or positive feedback helps them to know how customers feel about the product. So don't hesitate to ask or to post your comments.

Yes, you can still record downconvert to 480p which is very good. All output on Voom box are active simultaneously. This is what I do to record shows on my HS2 dvd recorder.

Sean,
If I understand correctly, you are able to convert the DVD signal to 480? Is this done in the HS2's setup? Also, can you time record all of HD channels by downconverting in this way? Are there other models of DVD recorders that have DVI or Y PB PR inputs that will accomplish the same thing. Thanks so very much for your input. I wish there was some way to downconvert the HD signals to my Tivo. Tivo has a Press conference scheduled Jan 8th and I'm hoping there might be some mention of future Voom support. So for at least a few months I'll be keeping my basic cable service as well until Voom either offers its own PVR, enables firewire support, or integrates somehow with Tivo. Hopefully if Voom management sees how many of us want recording capabilites, they will make it a priority. Thanks, Harry

Sorry, for the mistake, I should have said 480i. The Voom box downconverts to 480p but the HS2 does not have component input only composite or s-video. So it is only 480i recording.

Thanks Sean.
480i is for S-Video or composite, Got it! I'm going to surf the net today to see if there are any upcoming DVD Recorders that have the Y PB PR or DVI INPUT for 480p downconversion. If I am understanding correctly, You need one of those 2 inputs for the Voom to output in 480p (Is that right?) That should apply to all Voom HD channels hopefully? Thanks, Harry

And you can record dvd to it, the macrovision will not kick in unless you try to record it to a vcr or dvd recorder. I have had it 3 weeks but its only in the last few days I have really got to play with it. Its not the 921 but better pq than sd.

Wonder if you could stream a 15 or 20 second video for us? Put it in a streamable file. Is this possible to post so that people watch it from the site?

Actually what I was thinking was that if you could create the file in a playable format like windows media player and then we'll give you a site where to upload the file and we'll do the rest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)