DVD Recording issues with New HD Guide

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ETS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Port Ewen, NY
I have a Samsung LCD HDTV that is 1080p with 240 Hertz. DirecTV HR24 and a Toshiba Multiformat DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW Recorder(Model DR430) which has 1080p resolution.

I have a HDMI cable going from my HDTV to my HR24 which is HDMI #1. I have a Red, White, & Yellow cable going from my HR24 to my DVD Recorder and the DVD recorder has a HDMI cable going to my HDTV which is HDMI #2.

Ever since I got the new HD Guide, HDMI #1 still works fine but when I am looking on HDMI #2 any time I hit the buttons for the guide, menu or pause/fast forward/rewind a popup screen comes up blocking 85% of the screen saying "YOUR HDTV OR CABLES ARE NOT HD!" and below that it says "On your remote control, press and hold down the EXIT key until you see a confirmation that our receiver has been set for standard definition." You can't get the popoff off the screen until 20 seconds has passed. But any time you hit one of the buttons I mentioned above the popup will come back.

I called DirecTV and they said the new HD Guide makes it that you can only hook up your DirecTV box to one source. They said for the popup to go away I should unplug my DVD Recorder. :)rolleyes:)

Does anyone know any way to go around this? Is there any device out there that you can plug two HDMI's into the back of the HR24? Or is there any way to hook up my DVD recorder and HR24 to the HDTV that goes not have the popup come up?

The only ways I have found around it is to make my HR24 480P then the popup goes away but the picture quality is not HD on HDMI #1. The other way is to wait until the popup goes away to record on my DVD recorder and to wait after I fast forward and pause. But every 5 minutes the popup comes back for 20 seconds :(

I could because I have Whole Home-DVR I could buy another DirecTV box that supports Whole Home DVR and use a tiny old SDTV and put my DVD recorder to that. And then have my HDTV and the SDTV going at the same time with the same show on lol.

You need to use hd compatible cables. Can you use component from the HR24 to the dvd recorder? That would work.

You need to use hd compatible cables. Can you use component from the HR24 to the dvd recorder? That would work.

I don't think the Toshiba Multiformat DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW Recorder(Model DR430) has Component(which is red, green, blue right?) cables that are "Input" only "Output". Unless I did something wrong.

Does anyone know if this Rocketfish thing would work? http://www.amazon.com/Rocketfish-2-Way-HDMI-Splitter-Rf-g1182/dp/B004HVGTA8 If I connec it to my HR24 can it then connect to my DVD Recoreder & my HDTV?

I don't think the Toshiba Multiformat DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW Recorder(Model DR430) has Component(which is red, green, blue right?) cables that are "Input" only "Output". Unless I did something wrong.

Does anyone know if this Rocketfish thing would work? Amazon.com: Rocketfish - 2-Way HDMI Splitter Rf-g1182: Electronics If I connec it to my HR24 can it then connect to my DVD Recoreder & my HDTV?

Splitters sometimes work, more likely if they are powered. They can have issues with allowing the signals to properly pass without causing handshake issues.

You need a component-to-composite device. Monoprice.com has a model for about $40, if I recall correctly...

EDIT

Here you go:

For only $37.80 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Component (YpbPr) to Composite Converter | Analog Video Converters

I used this for similar reasons (HDMI FROM HR24 to TV and Component from same HR24 to For only $37.80 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Component (YpbPr) to Composite Converter | Analog Video Converters to my SlingBox Solo). It works great. If your DVD Recorder has an HDMI input and output, I'd try one of their HDMI splitters first though, you'd eliminate some cable clutter and likely get a better picture on your burned DVD's. Good luck!

I could not get the Popup to go away using the spittler I mentioned above. My DVD Recorder does not have an HDMI input only output. Has anyone been able to get the component-to-composite device to work?

Right now I think my best option is buying a R22 online(since I already have whole home dvr) and hooking that up to a old SDTV and attacing my Toshiba DVD Recorder to that. And put that TV right next to my HDTV so then I can watch my HR24 on 1080i on my HDTV. And then record the show I am watching by watching it on the R22 on 480i and recording it on the the DVD Recorder connected to the SDTV lol atleast it will work that way.

What HD inputs areavailable on the back of your Toshiba recorder ?
How can it have a 1080p output if it doesn't have any way to Input HD ?

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

DVD recorders only output 1080p as an upscaling feature to DVDs. None of the new DVD recorders offer inputs better than s-video. I'd love a Blu-Ray recorder with component inputs and a built in hard drive but these don't exist in North America. The market for standalone recorders isn't huge but with the MPAA spooking companies I don't think we will see any legitimate standalone HD recorders/burners in the US.

Just like the HR24 it only has a source for one HDMI output, Toshiba tech support says the 1080P is only for movie DVDs but when have the DVD recorder connected to my HDTV my DVD recorder shows 1080p even tho the quality is down.

I'm just really disapointed, I love DirecTV we have the Premier package with two HR24s and three R22s and we spend $1300 a year just on PPVs(13 WWE's, 12 TNA's and one racing PPV, I just wish there was around this new guide :(

Buy a large external hard drive, connect it to your DVR and store your programming there. At least then it will be HD. Your DVD recorder is 480P at best (probably 480i) for recording. Unless you have component inputs you cannot record HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)