DVD upconverting?

Stalker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Kentucky
I seen a DVD player advertised that said it could upconvert DVD's to HD content as in to 1080i...Does this just really mean its going to stretch it for viewing on HDTV's or is it really going to be HD quality?

Also is the 1080i only with the DVI connection...what format would it be with the RGB connection input...720?

Such a DVD player contains a scaler, which up-converts the 480i DVD content to one of the HD resolutions (i.e., either 720p or 1080i). Depending on your DVD player and its setup, your monitor and its setup, and the connection type between your DVD player and the monitor, it may or may not affect the Aspect Ratio (i.e., 4X3 versus 16X9). Upscaling resolution and changing Aspect Ratio are somewhat independent functions.

The DVD Players with scalers that I know of require a DVI or HDMI connector to utilize the upscaling feature, but there may be some that can do it with other connections.

"...is it really going to be HD quality?", well not quite. If properly set up with a fixed pixel monitor and a DVI or HDMI connection, the PQ will be better than any other DVD PQ currently available, but it isn't true HD. All you have to do is watch HDNET or DISHD and the difference is rather obvious.

The bottom line is you need to read the manuals for the DVD player in which you are interested and for your monitor. Those will give you the setup requirements and the limitations by setup that apply.

What about componet?

Thanks for that info!! One more question. I currently have a dvd player that has componet connections vs just the standard RCA connections, and my question is does the dvd players with the dvi output only upconvert thru that connection or will it also upconvert using the componet connections it has also?? In other words will it provide a better HD picture than my current sd dvd player using those connections?

Some of them will convert only over DVI and some will do it over both component and DVI. The thing is, the DVD 480i image is deinterlaced and scaled, then has to be converted to analog to go over component. That usually results in a bit of picture degradation (that conversion or the subsequent one back to digital on some tvs).

That's why with these players, the best benefit is achieved when keeping the signal all digital (DVI or HDMI connection).

I just purchased one of the new Zenith DVB-318.....
The reviews are rave.

The difference is night and day, I was shocked as in the past I had somewhat blown off any possible benefits from scale'n DVD to HDTV.

The player seems at it's best out the component video at 1080i......

What Am I Doing Wrong..?

Just bought an upconverting DVD player (Denon 1920) for my 60" Hitachi HD RPLCD. The connection is through HDMI. Whether I choose 480, 720, or 1080i, the picture seems about the same and no better than my ancient Panasonic A110 and nowhere near the HD quality I'm getting from my true HD channels (I expected it to at least be in the ballpark).

I recorded Troy off of HBO-HD as a control for the DVD version on the Denon. The DVD picture is as comparable to the HBO-HD as VHS is to DVD.

Any suggestions as to where I might be going wrong..?

QuiGonFishing said:
Just bought an upconverting DVD player (Denon 1920) for my 60" Hitachi HD RPLCD. The connection is through HDMI. Whether I choose 480, 720, or 1080i, the picture seems about the same and no better than my ancient Panasonic A110 and nowhere near the HD quality I'm getting from my true HD channels (I expected it to at least be in the ballpark).

I recorded Troy off of HBO-HD as a control for the DVD version on the Denon. The DVD picture is as comparable to the HBO-HD as VHS is to DVD.

Any suggestions as to where I might be going wrong..?
you may not have activated the upconversion?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts