DVI problem

jcato

Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
Hi,

I just got Voom Monday and it's great. I've been watching through component on my Samsung DLP. I tried switching to DVI tonight since it should give an even better picture, but I've run into a problem.

If I try the different output resolutions by pressing the red button, only 480p gives a watchable picture. 1080i, 720p, and 480i give really messed up pictures. I tried rebooting and I also tried unplugging the receiver. Neither helped.

Any thoughts on the problem?

Thanks

jcato said:
Hi,

I just got Voom Monday and it's great. I've been watching through component on my Samsung DLP. I tried switching to DVI tonight since it should give an even better picture, but I've run into a problem.

If I try the different output resolutions by pressing the red button, only 480p gives a watchable picture. 1080i, 720p, and 480i give really messed up pictures. I tried rebooting and I also tried unplugging the receiver. Neither helped.

Any thoughts on the problem?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum! I also have a DLP and had a few problems connecting the DVI. What did it for me was the following: I left the component connected and put the resolution at 720p on the receiver. With the Samsung DLP remote go to the component input of the TV after seeing a picture go back to the DVI input of tve (with the Samsung remote). You might want to try to turn off/on the DLP. I had to do a few things and I think I got to work after a while.

Thanks, Sean. I couldn't get 720 to work, but using your technique, I got 1080i to work. I guess that's just as good, or maybe even better, if the TV is better at converting to 720p than the receiver is.

BTW, do you have a computer hooked to your DLP using the VGA input? I was using DVI, but wanted to try Voom's DVI. Now I have an image problem with the computer where text just to the right of center appears to be bold.

If I can't solve this problem, I'll go back to Voom on components and HTPC on DVI. I don't see a big difference between DVI and component anyway.

Good that it worked for 1080i! Yes, I had an htpc connected through DVI but I have put it to rest until I decide to buy a DVI switch. Regarding the VGA, I never used it but my guess is that it has to do with the resolution on your PC. Try rez on your PC since VGA will not resolute to 720p or will it?

I too have a DLP and I am running via DVI for VOOM and have a mac connected to the vga port. I did not have as much of a problem as it seems you guys had, but I did need to power cycle the TV for it to really figure out what was going on on the DVI port. I also had the VOOM box in Auto. I get strange PIP kind of things on my one OTA station that comes and goes. When I change the channel this goes away.

I do not have any problem with the Mac on the VGA, but when I tried to put my Windooooz laptop on it I ended up having to have to reinstall the video driver with it connected for it to work right. I work on computers all day and argued with the tech that told me to do that, but when I eventually did it, the problems went away...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)