DVI question

prince123

Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
OK my first post and first question. I have a Samsung DLP and using the DVI connection. On the voom box, the tech and people at voom say to set the box (little red button) to native resolution, when all lights flash, this way the signal that is broadcast is unchanged. I do that and all is fine on the HD channels (digital) until I go to a SD channel. The channel looks off-center. also when I go back to the menu guide it is shaking and blurry after I look at a SD channel. I end up having to leave the box set to 1080i. everything looks great this way. I guess my question is, I know some HD broadcasts are in 720p. Is it wrong to have it upconverted to 1080i by the voom box? I can't tell that it looks any different. why does SD look good on a 1080i default but not native resolution? also, it seems the problem is that the DVI cable voom supplies is not a DVI-I cable. I understand these handle digital and analog signals, rather you get a DVI-D which is only digital. I don't think I can try a DVI-I cause the connectors are different sizes than what is on the Voom Satellite Box. I really don't want to run a separate cable just for SD channels either, I would have to change the output device on my samsung everytime.. any help would be appreciated.

prince123,

welcome. I also have a Samsung DLP. My first box I set to 1080i through DVI. My second box (swapped), I have not being able to set through DVI. I tried to set it to 720p but it will not work. Others had been successful but I have not. The native resolution on the Samsung DLP I have not tried. To me it looks ok on 1080i without introducing artifacts or anything that degrades the signal.

Hey Sean thanks for the response. So how do you have it set up now? Why did you swap Voom Boxes? Are you still using DVI? are you saying the new Voom Box does not allow you to set the resoultion? also did you experience what I experience with the SD channels? lots of questions I know. Thanks in advance

prince

prince123 said:
Hey Sean thanks for the response. So how do you have it set up now? Why did you swap Voom Boxes? Are you still using DVI? are you saying the new Voom Box does not allow you to set the resoultion? also did you experience what I experience with the SD channels? lots of questions I know. Thanks in advance

prince

-Right now 1080i through component.
-Every early adopter had their boxes swapped by VOOM.
-No. The last time I tried to use DVI, it was given me problems and I did not have a lot of time to play with it.
-No. The older box that I had also was having the same problem but I figured it out by switching between DVI/Component input on the Samsung DLP. This time I did not do this yet and have to go back and look at it again.
-SD channnels: I can't tell you. Hardly watch them unless a problem is reported here. I will try to do so.

Prince-

I have the Hitachi LCD projection and am running DVI. I have the box set to switch automatically and have had no issues so far. I did however swap out the cable Voom provided for a Monster Cable DVI cable. So far, the only thing I did notice is that it is harder to surf without using the guide. The changing of resolutions can confuse the tv and create some glitches. The other issue I noticed was that the Voom box seemed to create some interference in the picture using DVI. It looked like a power issue, but I have a power isolator and filter hooked up and none of the other sources I am using have the interference. I haven't seen it over the last couple of days, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Sean, did you notice the interference when you used the DVI? Looks like rolling power lines towards the top of the screen.

Thanks,

Seth

bestbuyguy said:
Prince-

Sean, did you notice the interference when you used the DVI? Looks like rolling power lines towards the top of the screen.

Thanks,

Seth

No, I have not. I my Sony GWII connected through DVI and it has worked perfectly. Is it possible to take a picture of this?

It is faint and only noticable in certain lighting. I haven't seen it happen in the last couple of days. If I see it again, I will see if a picture will show it. Will let you know.

Thanks,

Seth

My cable box is connected to the tv via Monster RGB component cables & my voom box is connected via Monster DVI cable. I used the Discovery channel to compare PQ on each piece of equipement. I have good signal strength satellite, but the picture looks alot better on the cable system. Satellite has a good picture, but it looks tinted. The colors on satellite are not as vibrant as they are on cable. I'm still keeping the service though.

Peace- R

I have my Voom STB running through DVI via the supplied cable straight into my projector's DVI port and my Dish 6000 running into my projector via Component. Doing an instant A/B comparison, I find the Dish signal to be a bit sharper and more saturated colors but the Voom via DVI seems to have more natural looking colors so I prefer it to the Dish signal. It's a tough call though and really not much of a difference. OTA on the Voom looks better than the Dish 6000. I leave my Voom STB on Auto and it seems to do a better job of handling SD material that way.

Rich,
I don't know what your display device is, but many devices allow for different calibration values on different inputs. If yours does, that might explain the color difference.

Lob

My TV's a Sony KV-34XBR910
I pulled out the RGB cables out of the cable box & plugged it into the satellite reciever. The PQ improved slightly, but PQ on cable box looks better. It's all good though I enjoy Vooms service.

I have a Sony kp46wt500. Anytime I use the dvi connection from my receiver i get faint blue horizontal lines throught the picture. Sometime it displays a scrambled picture. The only time it doesn't (with dvi) is when I'm in 480i or 480p mode on the box. Component works great. I even tried swapping the tv and the voom receiver for new ones with the same result. Any Ideas???

check the other active thread onthis, sounds like VOOM knows the DVI only works on certain sets

I just got off the phone with them again and they keep scheduling me tech service calls. They don't seem to have a clue...

adis452 said:
I have a Sony kp46wt500. Anytime I use the dvi connection from my receiver i get faint blue horizontal lines throught the picture. Sometime it displays a scrambled picture. The only time it doesn't (with dvi) is when I'm in 480i or 480p mode on the box. Component works great. I even tried swapping the tv and the voom receiver for new ones with the same result. Any Ideas???

Did you swap out the cable?