DVI Versus Componet connection

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lsh1885

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
Orlando, Florida
I have a Westinghouse 30" LCD HDTV. I had always heard the DVI connection was a much better connection for HDTV, but because the DVI cables were so expensive, I stuck with Component until now. I was able to find HDMI to DVI cables at a reasonable price, so decided to go ahead and give it a try. After hooking it up contrary to what a lot of people say, the Component seems to have a better picture. THe DVI connection appears much darker and harder to see. The Component appears to have better color definition and a much sharper image. The TV manual discusses hooking a computer to the DVI, but no mention of hooking it up to an HDTV source. I find that to be a little curious. Is there such a thing as a DVI connection that only supports computer resolutions and not HDTV or should I try changing some of the TV settings? Thanks.

Last edited:
Make sure the video settings are the same for each input. Some/most newer TV's allow you to set custom levels for *each* input.

This may be the reason for the difference between Y/Pr/Pb and HDMI/DVI.

To answer the second part.

You can get a VGA to DVI cable or other adapter for hooking up the LCD to your computer.

Check out monoprice.com Their cables are priced right.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=VGA+DVI

I really have no interest in hooking up my computer to a TV, but if I did the TV has both a DVI & VGA connection. Iam using a HDMI to DVI, because the Dish Network Satellite receiver (VIP211) uses a HDMI connection.

It is a common fallacy that DVI/HDMI is automatically a superior picture. Many sets give a better picture with component, 2 identical sets could give different reqsults. Best to try both and go with what YOU prefer.

It looks like in my case that component looks better on my TV. Another thing unusual about my set, even though it is considered a widescreen set, the aspect ratio is 15:9 and not 16:9, I had never heard of that before. Thanks to everyone for their input!

I have an old Voom box connected to my 720P projector via DVI and the picture is not better than what I get from Component. I think the component has a richer color pallette compared to the DVI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)