ONKYO Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program for US and Canada customers

StevenD

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2003
n
I'm getting my three year old TX-NR609 repaired for free under this program. Kudos to Onkyo for backing up their product!

http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/service_info.php

08/19/2014 Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program

As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip.

We deeply regret any frustration or inconvenience this situation may have caused.

To address the problem and help people who may have an impacted receiver, Onkyo is launching a special Customer Care Program to remedy this issue for those receivers that may be affected by this loss of audio/network connection issue. This program has three steps:

1. Verify if your Onkyo receiver is impacted

2. Decide how you prefer to address the issue

3. Send us your receiver in a prepaid box and label that we will provide at no cost to you

As part of this program we are also extending our standard limited warranty period to cover this issue for affected receivers through December 31, 2018. All other terms, conditions and limitations of the original limited warranty shall continue to apply for the duration of the original standard limited warranty.

Importantly, please note that the loss of audio/network connection issue will not result in harm to any connected components or speakers since the issue is contained to a single element within the affected receivers.

To determine if your receiver is eligible under this Customer Care Program please click here

Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program for US and Canada customers

We thank you for your loyalty!

Onkyo again apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause and will provide this repair as expeditiously as possible.

Reactions: HiDefRev
Thank you for this. My TX-NR609 crapped out two months ago. I will be sending in a claim.

I also had the exact same problem with the exact same Onkyo model a couple months ago. This official repair program hadn't started yet and I was outside of my warranty but I called anyways.

In my case they offered to do a 1 time warranty repair at a service shop in my area. They didn't offer a return box or free shipping so I was going to have to pay to ship it to the repair center. When they told me the location I saw that it was about a half hour away so I just dropped it off myself.

This was a small audio/TV repair shop, not a Onkyo specific place. Unfortunately it took about 5 weeks for the repair ship to get the replacement part they needed. They were very nice and kept calling me every few days to give me an update. Once it was fixed they overnighted it back to me. The whole process took a while but it ended up being free of charge except for my half hour trip out there to drop it off.

Reactions: HiDefRev
It took me 6 days to receive my box. It went out FedEx yesterday. I will report back when I have my repaired receiver back in my hands.

I also had the exact same problem with the exact same Onkyo model a couple months ago. This official repair program hadn't started yet and I was outside of my warranty but I called anyways.

In my case they offered to do a 1 time warranty repair at a service shop in my area. They didn't offer a return box or free shipping so I was going to have to pay to ship it to the repair center. When they told me the location I saw that it was about a half hour away so I just dropped it off myself.

This was a small audio/TV repair shop, not a Onkyo specific place. Unfortunately it took about 5 weeks for the repair ship to get the replacement part they needed. They were very nice and kept calling me every few days to give me an update. Once it was fixed they overnighted it back to me. The whole process took a while but it ended up being free of charge except for my half hour trip out there to drop it off.

That's exactly the process I had to do on a warranty repair on another receiver a few years back. What really pissed me off is they didn't fix it properly the first time and I had to take it all the way back and wait on a second repair. In fact, I ended up buying the 609 while waiting on that one to be repaired.

I'm VERY glad that Onkyo chose to ship these back to their repair depot. They even included a roll of tape in the return box!

That's exactly the process I had to do on a warranty repair on another receiver a few years back. What really pissed me off is they didn't fix it properly the first time and I had to take it all the way back and wait on a second repair. In fact, I ended up buying the 609 while waiting on that one to be repaired.

I'm VERY glad that Onkyo chose to ship these back to their repair depot. They even included a roll of tape in the return box!

Yeah, it would have been nice if my 609 would have held out a little longer for the official program to start. I've been using it again for a few months though and everything seems perfect so far. Outside of the waiting, the worse part was getting all my speakers and components disconnected and then connecting them again when I got it back. It's a pain to get at the rear of those boxes in an entertainment center when you have about a million wires to mess with.

Edit: using my TV speakers for 5 weeks was pretty bad too. Plus my TV doesn't have as many HDMI inputs as the Onkyo so I couldn't use everything.

Edit: using my TV speakers for 5 weeks was pretty bad too. Plus my TV doesn't have as many HDMI inputs as the Onkyo so I couldn't use everything.

Fortunately, I had a couple of spares. If I didn't, I probably would have bought a new 636 or 737, which was my plan if I couldn't get the 609 fixed..

Wow! The turnaround was much faster than I expected. I should receive it back tomorrow.

Status Modification Complete, Shipped to Customer
Return Box Tracking 00615xxxxxx780
Return Box Ship Date 09/04/14
Incoming Unit Tracking 961201xxxxxxxxxxx143859
Incoming Unit Receive Date 09/13/14
Repaired Unit Tracking 61xxxxxxxx011
Repaired Unit Ship Date 09/15/14

Wow! The turnaround was much faster than I expected. I should receive it back tomorrow.

Status Modification Complete, Shipped to Customer
Return Box Tracking 00615xxxxxx780
Return Box Ship Date 09/04/14
Incoming Unit Tracking961201xxxxxxxxxxx143859
Incoming Unit Receive Date09/13/14
Repaired Unit Tracking61xxxxxxxx011
Repaired Unit Ship Date09/15/14

Nice! Like I said, mine took 5 weeks just for the repair shop to get the replacement part. That is much better than my experience.

Just fyi... mine came "direct signature required." so be prepared to wait around for fedex on your delivery day.

Ah Ok I was just wondering if it was something intermittent but apparently not.

Mine was at first. The sound would be gone but turning the Onkyo off and then back on would sometimes fix this. After a couple days I would sometimes have to turn it on and off 5 or 6 times before I would get sound. Then after about a week it quit working completely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My repair is complete also. Might have it by tomorrow.

StatusModification Complete, Shipped to Customer
Return Box Tracking0061XXXXXX270
Return Box Ship Date09/09/14
Incoming Unit Tracking96XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX57948
Incoming Unit Receive Date09/16/14
Repaired Unit Tracking61XXXXXXX893
Repaired Unit Ship Date09/18/14

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)