LG versus Samsung

If you get a 4k TV, are you going to get 4K joey ?

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
I have one 4k Vizio now in my garage that is on a Joey 1. I need to correct previous post, I have 1 Joey 1, not a Joey 2. I am not going to get any 4k Joeys until the new switch is available. When it does I am going to get 2 Hopper 3s, 2 4k Joeys, and keep my 2 WJs.

Reactions: Troch77
Yep, I hear ya. Too bad LG will be the only keeper of OLED TVs. Need competition to help drive the prices down.

I figure 2018, or more likely, 2019, and Samsung will be back in the OLED game. I figure eventually most TVs will be OLED.

Remember, turkeys were once expensive.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I figure 2018, or more likely, 2019, and Samsung will be back in the OLED game.
Samsung is decidedly in the "Just Say No" camp when it comes to Dolby Vision.

I figure LCD will be around at least until all of the Plasma weenies with their burning desire to sear their retinas with over-saturated contrast die off (or have gone blind).

Samsung is decidedly in the "Just Say No" camp when it comes to Dolby Vision.

I figure LCD will be around at least until all of the Plasma weenies with their burning desire to sear their retinas with over-saturated contrast die off (or have gone blind).

Wow, that's harsh, even for someone with your screen name. I don't consider myself a fanboy or a weenie. My plasma is still going strong, but I do not believe I have an "oversaturated contrast", just a well adjusted picture that gives a wide dynamic range and a pleasant picture. I will likely not switch until OLED comes way down in price.

I don't consider myself a fanboy or a weenie.
Then I wasn't referring to you. A majority of the Plasma installs I have seen are running in carbon arc mode for both brightness and color and it gives me a headache.
My plasma is still going strong, but I do not believe I have an "oversaturated contrast", just a well adjusted picture that gives a wide dynamic range and a pleasant picture.
That's why I limited my comments to plasma weenies as opposed to the somewhat larger class of plasma users.

Then I wasn't referring to you. A majority of the Plasma installs I have seen are running in carbon arc mode for both brightness and color and it gives me a headache.

But why pick on plasma then. The vast majority of EVERY recent TV I have seen for the last ten years has been in torch mode. That's how they come out of the box, and people don't change it. The result is torch mode LCDs, LEDs and yes OLEDs as well as plasma.

Frankly, those are not our users at Satguys, so understand why I took offense at the way you phrased your remark. I still believe it was formatted to generate a reaction.

Garsh-dang it! With my son off to college, the Sammy 55" in the family room is mine! So, I'm playing around with the new Hooper 3 firmware that downloaded earlier in the week and I notice a line going through some of the Hopper's GUI. Long story short, this line is on all inputs, and the Sammy has a self-diagnostics section of the TV's menu which proves the problem is with the Sammy, not the Hopper. So this theoretical "What Should I Buy" moves from wishful thinking to "Dang it, I wanted to wait for OLEDs to drop further in Price".

The best I can tell, this line is 1/8 of the screen from the bottom, and seems to repeat the row of pixels 4-8 pixels above it. Vertical patterns are not a problem, but this is right about the sweet spot for lower-thirds and it smears part of the text. And it's one of those things that once I have seen it, I can't un-see it.

Research time!

I was looking at the latest batch of 60" UHD TVs from LG and Samsung, but both of these are a fraction over 53" in width (plus the manufactures want a 4" or so of free air around their sets) so I'm going to need to budget for a router in addition to the TV. I like that the Samsung has an outboard switcher for the HDMI inputs (I can live without the analog inputs) as that reduces the cables being run to the mounted TV to Power, Network, and custom I/O cable. That's a lot easier to manage than running four HDMIs plus Coax to the TV (it's mounted on a set of drawer glides for easy access).

Like I said, and extra inch rabbit on either side of my opening, maybe two or three inches deep...

Reactions: charlesrshell
I was looking at the latest batch of 60" UHD TVs from LG and Samsung, but both of these are a fraction over 53" in width (plus the manufactures want a 4" or so of free air around their sets) so I'm going to need to budget for a router in addition to the TV.
When you say "router" are you talking the networking tool or the woodworking tool?

The new 900 series Samsung is looking good to me if I had to replace my TV today as it has some manner of One Connect box versus the 9000. Unfortunately for you, they only make the 900 series models in the 65" and 75" denominations. Looking at the other Samsung SUHD TVs, most of them skip from 55" to 65".

I'm committed to not letting my furniture drive what TV I purchase. That said, I wish the manufacturers didn't seem to like the feet at opposite ends so much.

When you say "router" are you talking the networking tool or the woodworking tool?
Woodworking tool. The lip around the sides of my entertainment center are about 4" deep, so a 2" deep by 1" wide rabbit down each side would be possible, It would make a mess, though, removing the much wood.

I also saw a 58" Vizio that just might squeeze in to the 52" width. But something tells me that 55" is going to be my practical limit on screen size. 57" or 56" would be possible, too, but as you observed, it's pretty much x5" diagonal screens once you're past the 40s.

I was looking at the latest batch of 60" UHD TVs from LG and Samsung, but both of these are a fraction over 53" in width (plus the manufactures want a 4" or so of free air around their sets) so I'm going to need to budget for a router in addition to the TV. I like that the Samsung has an outboard switcher for the HDMI inputs (I can live without the analog inputs) as that reduces the cables being run to the mounted TV to Power, Network, and custom I/O cable. That's a lot easier to manage than running four HDMIs plus Coax to the TV (it's mounted on a set of drawer glides for easy access).

Like I said, and extra inch rabbit on either side of my opening, maybe two or three inches deep...
I never worry about the the side clearance or my TVs. I have had three of them now that didn't have the manufactures recommended side clearance. To me, as long as the front and back of the TV is wide open I don't worry about the side clearance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts