Nightshift service for slow internet connects (Netflix)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Read an article on this about two weeks ago, and while I have decent ADSL it still has it's issues and it is pretty irritating sitting down to stream something and only getting 384 or 480 from Netflix on a big screen. The concept was actually designed for satellite internet users so they could download at off peak times, but I think it has to have benefits for more users and is perfectly "legal" according to Netflix (prefetching). Hopefully they will get involved with services like Vudu, etc...

Here are a couple my posts from elsewhere:

1)Got the Nightshift kit setup, was pretty easy. You just connect the Asus to your modem via eth cable, and then connect your Netflix devices to the Asus over wifi.

It gives you several usage stats on your account page on their site:

So far this month you have watched n/a of Netflix which is roughly 0.0 hours of standard definition or 0.0 hours of high definition content. Last month you watched n/a of Netflix.

Also offers graphs, etc, about shifted and unshifted usage. Account has a link for you to click to verify what shows are on your Asus USB drive pre fetched. I went and got it going on 4 different shows I am watching now, one was the first episode others I have already viewed a few so we will see how well it starts in the middle. I watched the first 20 secs of my next episode for each particular show, and it should fetch 3-4 episodes of each for now. Nightly download time setup for midnight to 05:00.

2) Got a lot done last night in 5 hours, checked from work when I got in this morning.

I will watch a few of these when I get home today.

6a386e4d-0b6e-4f1c-a4de-abb18c97676a_zpsfzyqtccg.png

Reactions: T134
Promotional subscription is $6.99/month (reg. $9.99). Nightshift kit is $99. Kit has Asus router as indicated above by gadgtfreek.

DRCars

FYI - PlayLater can basically do they exact same thing, without the need for a subscription service or additional hardware. You end up with an MP4 file that you can play anywhere.

So if it is on your pc, how do you go about watching it on the big screen? Does playlater keep your shows updated for you (auto download them) and allow for download window settings and allow you to block Netflix access at other times?

I assume since it downloads as well it is the full quality 1080p Netflix stream?

So if it is on your pc, how do you go about watching it on the big screen?

That would depend on your clients. I'm fairly certain all of your clients can play an MP4. I have a NAS that it gets copied to and then watch it via Plex or Emby.

Does playlater keep your shows updated for you (auto download them) and allow for download window settings and allow you to block Netflix access at other times?

I don't believe there is an automatic function. you open the app, search for what you want, and then click "record".

No, it certainly would not block Netflix access.

OK, sounds like a good "free" option. I gather what you pay for with nightshift is more control and "set it and forget it". With playon Id assume Id download the netflix episodes manually to my laptop and then play them from my roku. Where as once I trigger one episode by starting and stopping it with the Roku, Nightshift always stays 4 episodes ahead by itself. Nightshift allows you to set a download range for auto downloads AND you can choose to block Netflix any time out of that window. I assume this is handy for satellite users or people with peak time and off peak time for usage. This way you arent up late downloading/fetching episodes it just does it for you.

OK, sounds like a good "free" option. I gather what you pay for with nightshift is more control and "set it and forget it". With playon Id assume Id download the netflix episodes manually to my laptop and then play them from my roku. Where as once I trigger one episode by starting and stopping it with the Roku, Nightshift always stays 4 episodes ahead by itself. Nightshift allows you to set a download range for auto downloads AND you can choose to block Netflix any time out of that window. I assume this is handy for satellite users or people with peak time and off peak time for usage. This way you arent up late downloading/fetching episodes it just does it for you.

PlayLater is not free! But you dont have to buy additional hardware, and you dont have to pay a monthly subscription.

I can certainly see how Nightshift would be useful for someone with a limited internet connection (like satellite).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)