Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Dolby Announce Collaboration on Dolby Vision 4K Ultra HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Dolby Laboratories, Inc. (NYSE: DLB) and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) today announced plans to use the new Dolby Vision™ mastering process for the release of 4K Ultra HD titles by a variety of home entertainment distribution partners, delivering high-dynamic-range (HDR) imaging with a wider range of contrast and more vibrant colors. The availability of SPHE titles in Dolby Vision for home entertainment platforms marks a revolutionary step forward for enthusiasts and content channels worldwide.

http://investor.dolby.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=931037

S~

Not sure exactly what that means but it sounds good from the description. I wonder if this means that Sony will go back to using Dolby TrueHD on their blu-ray discs.

Not that it actually makes a difference in sound quality but I went a loooong time without seeing the Dolby TrueHD lights pop on my AVR before watching Mad Max: Fury Road. It seemed that everyone had abandoned Dolby for DTS-HD Master Audio. I suppose that will start to swing back as more movies are released with Dolby Atmos support.

It's video not audio. It's basically HDR.

S~

Yeah, I understood that much. I just thought that if they were partnering on video they would be more likely to partner on audio too. Why go through two companies when you can get everything through one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts