DVR auto deleting records??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gdodd12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
I have a 722 and a 6-something and both have auto deleted older items without notifying me. Is this purposeful behavior from dish?

There is a setting for how many episodes of a particular event you have set to record. If you go beyond that setting the DVR will delete the oldest one at a time.

There is a setting for how many episodes of a particular event you have set to record...
Yeap and I believe that number is indicated on the "Create Timer" screen. No idea how high it is by default but it must be fairly high (I've seen 15-20 recordings of a show that my wife records but rarely gets the chance to watch).

IIRC the default is 20. Recordings will also auto delete when the disk gets very close to full.

From my 612 I believe it is 20 recordings. You also have an option to protect the recording. It is on the DVR event screen

If you want to retain more than 20 episodes of a show, your best bet is to move them to an ehd. There is no limit there. I have 70+ episodes of Globe Trekker from PBS on a ehd.

There is a setting for how many episodes of a particular event you have set to record. If you go beyond that setting the DVR will delete the oldest one at a time.

It deleted movies, not tv shows.

a warning would be nice though, I noticed a recording or two missing from the bottom of my list when the capacity was less than 2 hours.
the episode limit does not seem to be a factor on my 722k as it is set at 20 and yet I have over 20 episodes of Dexter and SOA on there.

a warning would be nice though...
When would it warn you ? Does it pop-up during that 1:30 (I think) countdown timer telling you an event is scheduled ? If it did, but got no response from the user (i.e. a timer fires when no one is home or watching TV), what does it default to ? If it deletes an older recording, people might complain that it deleted something (important). If it doesn't delete, that means the recording scheduled won't have room, so it skips the timer ? People might complain...

I was wondering about that. So if I set a movie or tv shot to Protected, it won't get deleted?
Correct. It will delete something else though in order to make room. If a protected event is the oldest and would normally be the item to delete, it just has to move to the next oldest. Imagine that you want to record a 2-1/2 hour event and the now oldest items are 1/2 hour shows. It might clear out multiple ones !

Not sure if Protected would bypass the 20 episode limit. The best way to avoid a deletion is to use an ehd. Move anything you want to save to the ehd. No limit there. I have 70 episodes of one series stored on one of my ehd's.

There is no 20-episode limit, unless you specify it in the timer. You can edit the timer and change the limit to unlimited. Change it to "#" on the older receivers or "ALL Events" on Hopper.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)