DVR coming Soon at a reasonable Price?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Sorry if this has been posted before but I saw Robert post on the Yahoo Group list and found the wording interested in the VOOM website regarding their DVR.
Source

HD-DVR (additional charge) will have an additional charge and will be included in the base package (at a reasonable price) and it will also be included in the promotion (at a reasonable price). As to what any of this means, it is anybody's guess? Care to guess?

Available, but at a list price of over $1,000. And with so few HD channels, what good is an HD-DVR anyway?
VOOM statement regarding thier compitition.. This is the exact reason Im with voom

so my statement to VOOM CRAP or get off the pot !! :yikes

if you cannot deliver a HDDVR, cut a deal with TIVO,Bastadize a cable HDDVR box,let another company buy you out, DO something

hopefully VOOM will get on the ball about the STB software. capture all those anoying skeeters.

Im not going too put any weight into this , VOOMs website has talked of a DVR for months
:no :mad: :mad: :mad:

!protest

Hoping their "reasonable price" is less than $10.00/month (wishing for $5.00 per HDDVR) for just the HDDVR without the "whole home" option, or else from a price standpoint they won't be so competitive when it comes to their HDDVR offer.

malexgreen said:
Hoping their "reasonable price" is less than $10.00/month (wishing for $5.00 per HDDVR) for just the HDDVR without the "whole home" option, or else from a price standpoint they won't be so competitive when it comes to their HDDVR offer.
Even if its 10 bucks a mth ...I think a price like that would rasie alot of eyebrows. It would be a great deal ...a hddvr receiver for 10 bucks a mth!!!! SIGN ME ON!!!!

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that something is 'coming soon', I could easily pay vinny07's $10 monthly rental for 3 months. By stating that the DVR is coming soon at a reasonable price, and then slamming D* for the $1000 retail price of the HD-DVR, I think Voom will sell theirs for something less than $1000.

I would be very interested to hear about the installation policy for this piece of equipment. Right now, if you want to add a receiver, there is an additional charge of $199 for an installer to come and install the STB. Do you think it will be any different for the DVR? After all, it is an STB.

VOOM has to know that Cable is offering their HD DVR for (in my case) $7.95 per month. I see the following scenarios:

1. You can purchase your own HD DVR and thin-clients at an affordable price of $449 for the HD DVR and $99 per thin-client. VOOM win's because they get a loyal customer by offering low-cost, state of the art (we hope) equipment that can't be reactivated. Customer wins by having a low-cost, state of the art equipment and an affordable Whole Home entertainment solution by getting rid of those archaic multple mirror fees...just one simple $5 DVR fee to support up to 6 clients.

2. You can rent a DVR for $10 and clients will be provided for no charge or nominal charge based on programming commitment. Get rid of as many hidden charges as possible.

3. A customer may still lease a STBs if they so desire for $5. However, they will eventually be phased-out or perhaps replaced with cheaper, more reliable hardware in 2006.

Actually, the dual tuner HD DVR from Comcast that they just started installing here in Atlanta is $14.99/month. But it is the reason I cancelled Voom last week and am going with Comcast.

Bastadize a cable HDDVR box
PLEASE!!! NO!!! That's what they did with the current box and it sucks. At least the way the EPG operates is just like a cable box, YUCK!!!!!!!!!!

slick1ru2 said:
Actually, the dual tuner HD DVR from Comcast that they just started installing here in Atlanta is $14.99/month. But it is the reason I cancelled Voom last week and am going with Comcast.

Adelphia offers their dual tunner Motorola DVR in my area for $7.95 a month. It's fantastic. Inputs are DVI, Component, and Firewire. Now, if there was only something to record that I would want to watch later :D . Voom will have to compete with Cable's pricing and keep the price at $10.00 or less. To buy one of these units is out of the question. Why would anyone pay $800 to $1,000 for a HD DVR with such limited HD content available (like in DirecTV's case)?

I would sign up at 10 bucks or less. Since we already pay 5 bucks for a reg receiver. Its really not that bad of a price. I could never afford to buy one so the only way would be to lease. $7.95 would be great!!!

keno said:
Adelphia offers their dual tunner Motorola DVR in my area for $7.95 a month. It's fantastic. Inputs are DVI, Component, and Firewire. Now, if there was only something to record that I would want to watch later :D . Voom will have to compete with Cable's pricing and keep the price at $10.00 or less. To buy one of these units is out of the question. Why would anyone pay $800 to $1,000 for a HD DVR with such limited HD content available (like in DirecTV's case)?
...but Adelphia is still Adelphia - there is no way to sugar coat that fact. I recently tried their HD DVR for a couple of months before sending it back. It wasn't a bad little box, but I've have been battling these turds at the County Cable Commission for the past 4+ years and I advise everyone to go DBS and DSL if possible.

The prime reason I returned their box was due to the Firewire and DVI ports not being active...which, by law were supposed to have been active in April and July respectively. You sometimes get what you pay for...and with Adelphia you often get a whole lot less!!!

"reasonable price" depends on "whom" is making the decision or being consulted for it.

If you talk to the common working man... $5-10 extra per HD-DVR STB is reasonable.

If you talk to Sean Mota, and his high-roller lifestyle (what do you got Sean like 8 Plasmas or something? One for every room in the house and an extra one for the poop room? j/k) ... $50-$150 a month is chump change.

However I hope the Voom execs aren't thinking of marketing a DVR with the slogan

"Why pay $1,000 for an HD-DVR with DirectTV when Voom has it for half the price*? Voom, you know you want to"

"*- per month."

I will be looking at the overall value of the package I choose.
Cable companies can almost give away the DVR service and make it up in other areas.

I also fear that the DVR functions and availability will be sharply curtailed in the future due to the lobbing going on in the legislature.

Happy birthday Sean, it is all downhill from here.

Everyone says it is downhill after forty but I feel like I've been walking uphill for the last fourteen years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts