DVR Fee?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

banoonish

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 28, 2004
Fort Payne, AL
Do all of Directv DVR's have the $4.99 DVR Fee? My HDTV Tivo will not record an off air show without paying this fee. :(

You can't complain much about this $5 a month fee. Well okay you can, why not? ;) I just switched from Dish and they charged an extra $5 for EVERY DVR. Let me tell you this is no real Tivo service either! I could go on and on about all the troubles I had with Dish but let me just tell you you're lucky your worst problem is a $5 a month DVR fee.

I think maybe mine was waved (possibly just for a short time) because of subscribing to the premier package. I also hot the HD version. Would that make a difference?

warkovision said:
I think maybe mine was waved (possibly just for a short time) because of subscribing to the premier package. I also hot the HD version. Would that make a difference?

Yes, Premier subs have the DVR fee waived.
The HD has nothing to do with having/not having a DVR fee.

The nice thing is that one fee covers all DVRs on the account. I also have the premier package and two DirecTiVo units, so for 9.95/mo I get 6 tuners, plus the two "recorded" feeds and I never have to watch live TV. If it were with TiVo it would require 13.95/mo per box plus my DirecTV sub and I would only have two tuners and no HD. All I am saying it that DVRs with D* are a fairly good value.

It's actually a GREAT value for me, as I DON'T pay any DVR fee, regardless of pkg or how many DVR's I have on my account. (grandfathered on the lifetime fee) :D :D

bleodler said:
there is only one 4.99 charge that covers all the dvrs on the account

i have 1 dvr now,are you saying i can have 2 or more for the same 4.99/mo?

Elstevo said:
You can have 2, 3, 5, 10, 20, etc. A single 4.99 is all you'll pay for the DVR fee.
That's all you pay for the dvr fee but you do have to pay $4.95 for each receiver you have.

The cable company here (Cox) charges $9.95 on top of the box rental fee of $4.95.

Just remember when the NDS boxes come out for D*, there should be no DVR fee because there is no royaltly payment (which is awesome in my opinion, so put that in your pipe and smoke it ERGEN! you greedy bast*rd!). I think the NDS boxes will be comparable to tivo. So I would just sit tight for a while. The great trade out is about to begin.

ocnier said:
Just remember when the NDS boxes come out for D*, there should be no DVR fee because there is no royaltly payment (which is awesome in my opinion, so put that in your pipe and smoke it ERGEN! you greedy bast*rd!). I think the NDS boxes will be comparable to tivo. So I would just sit tight for a while. The great trade out is about to begin.

That's one of the main things I hate about E*. That and all of the other hidden fees they have, such as charging $5 to downgrade programming, an extra $5 PER EACH DVR, etc.

[kbohip]...That's one of the main things I hate about E*. That and all of the other hidden fees they have, such as charging $5 to downgrade programming, an extra $5 PER EACH DVR, etc.
...I just switched from Dish and they charged an extra $5 for EVERY DVR. Let me tell you this is no real Tivo service either!
[ocnier]...so put that in your pipe and smoke it ERGEN! you greedy bast*rd!

I think us E* converts all feel the same way about Ergen and his "services". I for one am very happy that I'm over here at D* and wonder why I wasted my time with E* at all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)