DVR Fees ? I don't get it. Answer please

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bigbuckchuck

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
earth
I called Dish up to ask them about DVR fees. I told them I purchased my own equipment and own it outright. I asked why they were charging me a fee for something the machine does on it's own. ( It's kinda like Chevrolet charging you extra every month for your widshield wipers) He told me that a different signal is being sent to my receiver so the PVR can function. Is this true? (I don't believe him) If not then why do they charge for DVR's?

even though you may own the receiver if its a DVR and not the older model (501 or 508) you are charged a DVR fee. You are also charged a extra receiver fee if you have more than 1 receiver

actually the DVR fee makes the DVR functions work :)

Actually the DVR fee (like most of the others) is nothing more than a "because we can charge it" fee.

huh interesting
I know when I set up a 2nd DVR on my Directv account before I called it in I got a few freebie channels but when I tried to use the DVR it said "the DVR functions are not activated"

huh interesting
I know when I set up a 2nd DVR on my Directv account before I called it in I got a few freebie channels but when I tried to use the DVR it said "the DVR functions are not activated"

i thought direct was one fee for the entire house for dvr

Dish raised prices this year by increasing box fees. One box free with your programming. Each extra box (no difference for leased or owned) $17 for duo DVR, $10 Single DVR, $7 non DVR, HD/SD no difference. The DVR fee is whole house and is either $6 or $10 for 922.

It is a trick to have a low price shown for packages but then get extra money below the line where you do not see it up front. It is a practice Dish picked up from such consumer friendly industries like cell phone companies and airlines.

Owning your own equipment:

1. Gets you out of committing to more time on you contract when you get another box
2. Lets you sell your equipment when you are finished instead of having to pay $15 to ship it back to Dish

I figured it was a cash grab. I signed up last Dec and paid up front for the full year. Got 1 month free. Was told no DVR fees with AE package . Both DVR's worked perfectly. Feb comes and I see a new charge for DVR's. I call and ask what's this all about. They explain. My response " I paid up front for a full year and was told no DVR fees with AE". I said I'm granfathered and if you want to charge me DVR fees do it next Dec when I renew. Needless to say they didn't agree.
My 2nd year and I'm not too sure how I feel. First the DVR charade. Then this year I ask for the AE and paid up front for a year again with a free month. Was told they don't do that anymore. I have to get Americas 250 and add HBO etc to get the free month. Last year with AE you got free Regional Sports (all Fox Sports channels) This year that's gone. Now its called Multi Sport Package and it's not include with any package. It's an extra $7/month. Let's see what changes next year.

Last edited:
There is no real reason to own your equipment.

And there is no reason to lease your equipment either. It is an individual decision that everyone must make for himself. I for one have owned all my receivers going back to the when I first started with DISH 1/18/97. I own mine because I have three "moved" DISH accounts. One for my parents, one for my aunt and one for my family , all in my name. I do all the installs, deal with all the billing , and all the hassels so they won't have to. I also have bought all my receivers from an online retailer that allows me to trade them in towards credit towards newer ones, when I want to upgrade. I can also sell them on E-bay if I choose . I don't like to be in commitments with cell phone or satellite companies.

i thought direct was one fee for the entire house for dvr

it is. But I found an old R15 at a goodwill that worked. I wanted to test out the DVR before activating it in case the hard drive was shot. It was a moot point as a month after activating it the DVR died and they sent me a replacement

i hate it. it is a cash grab.

they charge a fee on ALL dvrs now, even the 501 & 508 and they do not waive it with AEP anymore. ***expletive deleted**

This is probably the 1,000th thread on this question.

well it does show irritation if not outrage on the part of subs both current and former.

A few more quarters of sub shrinkage will send E a message, unless D jacks up their fees too.

10 bucks a month DVR fee per account is likely the new price... after all its time to raise prices

we want to charge you fee for the fee that was previously paid because the fee covers all boxes dvr fee but u need a fee to make the normal box work with it if you want more then one dvr fee .

It makes perfect sense to dish network I could not figure any of it out so I hoped over to direct.

With direct if you have DVR’s and you don’t want to pay the real one time monthly fee they they can turn off just the dvr function and your box will work . With dish you need a whole new box

interesting. The 501 & 508 never had fees before regardless of package. When did that change?

I guess I got the wrong info when the new fees went into effect.
dvr.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts