DVR Fees ? I don't get it. Answer please

People keep forgetting about the ViP612 which actually went down in price... 622/722/722k aren't the only DVR options... Don't see many (if any) cable boxes that can handle more than one TV at a time... I'd say the ViP612 is closer in equivalence to cable boxes than the 622/722/722k...

The 211 in the DVR mode is missing a bunch of features that you get with the real DVRs.....

What features are missing?

Whatever they are, I don't miss 'em. My 211k w/EHD does everything I could ever want it to do. Hey, if it'll record Gunsmoke at 11:00am... that's good enough for me, lol. BTW, once I activated the EHD, my guide went from 2 days to 8 (or 9). With the ATSC tuner activated, I can record an OTA local & from sat at the same time... and even watch an existing recording while doing it. Not bad for a single tuner "non-DVR".

It doesn't feel like it's missing any features.

I own my equipment. My Dish Net bill is so simple. I like simple.

Cheers

yeah, like what ?

Ya know, I did some research and my original thought seems to be incorrect. It seems to have all the same features as its big brother. One thing though, you can't move the EHD between the 211 and it big brothers.

You are correct, they are fairy tale charges made up this year.

The people that got hurt are those in a 2 year contract that was in effect before the price hike. I would be pretty upset if it happened just after I signed up.

If you are signing up now you have to look at the total cost. Cable companies tend to charge $15-$20/month for their DVR boxes, and now Dish is right up there with them.

You have to figure out a multi year cost, but you can never tell when any provider will raise prices or fees.
It kinda happened to me. Paid up front for the year in Dec last year. Was told DVR fees were free with AE. That changed in Feb so they started charging me the extra $16/month. I said I paid for a year, if you want to start charging me for this then do it when I renew. They didn't agree with that.

I hope you are just ill informed and not trolling.

The 211 is identical in nearly all its functions to my 722 except of course it only has one SAT tuner.

It cannot do PIP (neither can the 612) but it can record 2 programs while you watch a third pre-recorded program.

The 211 with EHD is essentially a 722 without the second SAT tuner.

The only other thing missing on the 211 is VOD, but who cares?

Oh, and it has no DVR fees.

Ya know, I did some research and my original thought seems to be incorrect. It seems to have all the same features as its big brother. One thing though, you can't move the EHD between the 211 and it big brothers.

The 211 is identical in nearly all its functions to my 722 except of course it only has one SAT tuner.

It cannot do PIP (neither can the 612) but it can record 2 programs while you watch a third pre-recorded program.

If you are aiming that at me, I am not a troll, I have been on the site since day one and I can't stand trolls.....

I second that...

Whatever they are, I don't miss 'em. My 211k w/EHD does everything I could ever want it to do. Hey, if it'll record Gunsmoke at 11:00am... that's good enough for me, lol. BTW, once I activated the EHD, my guide went from 2 days to 8 (or 9). With the ATSC tuner activated, I can record an OTA local & from sat at the same time... and even watch an existing recording while doing it. Not bad for a single tuner "non-DVR".

It doesn't feel like it's missing any features.

I own my equipment. My Dish Net bill is so simple. I like simple.

Cheers

I could not agree with Anony55 more. This is the best part of Dish in my opinion. $40 one time "DVR" fee for all the receivers currently on my account or any more which I may add in the future.

The only company who has a better DVR deal is Bell TV which does not charge anything to connect a USB hard drive to their Echostar HD MPEG4 receiver.

I currently have two 211's with 1 TB hard drives (which I picked up for $55 each) and utilize the ATSC tuner. Perfect!

This is the best kept secret of Dish in my opinion. When I talk to family and friends about my 211 setup they always ask me how they can do the same.

Hopefully Dish keeps this deal as is...

Hman

I could not agree with Anony55 more. This is the best part of Dish in my opinion. $40 one time "DVR" fee for all the receivers currently on my account or any more which I may add in the future.

The only company who has a better DVR deal is Bell TV which does not charge anything to connect a USB hard drive to their Echostar HD MPEG4 receiver.

I currently have two 211's with 1 TB hard drives (which I picked up for $55 each) and utilize the ATSC tuner. Perfect!

This is the best kept secret of Dish in my opinion. When I talk to family and friends about my 211 setup they always ask me how they can do the same.

Hopefully Dish keeps this deal as is...

Hman
Well I have a 211 as well so it looks like that will be my next move.

Also no remote access.

It's amazing that they let us turn the 211's into DVr's with a onetime fee of $40, and no monthly fee's after that. I wonder how much longer they will allow that to happen?

Price increases are coming:(

At the time of fee jacking we had 4 dual DVRs with AEP. I forget how much the price increase was like 30 bucks???

no company should attempt any price increase over 10% since businesses know it typically losses customers.

We had 2 722s on the primary tv both locked in single mode, a 522 for my shop & kitchen , and a 625 used by frequent house guests.

at 5 or 7 bucks per extra box i didnt care, and it was convenient. after all i owned my boxes and kept them plugged into the phone line.

so this increase for me was far more than 4 bucks......

and for those who werent concerned last time, your time is coming.....

maybe 20 bucks per extra 722?

I bought a tivo got lifetime, and pay under 4 bucks a month for the cable card

the best parts.

my tivo is rock solid no flakey troubles its only spazed once in 6 months, and no snow clearance from dishes..

comcast triple play bundle with national geo internet and a phone line for my fax costs less than than E did before the fee jacking.......

charlie thanks you saved me big bucks

I just ordered DishNet and they gave me for 2 TVs : 1 receiver 222 at no monthly fee; but when I changed that to 2 : "211 HD Solo receivers", they charged a $7 monthly fee! How come?

Hi. This is Phillip Chang with DISH Network. I have read all your posts and want you to know that we really appreciate your feed back; also props for everyone's great advice. Just to add to this, in order to enjoy DVR functionality, which includes being able to watch and record two separate programs at the same time, and video on demand, an account must have a DVR Service fee.The DVR Service Fee is now an account level fee. In other words, no matter the number of active DVR receivers you currently have on your account, there would just be one account level fee of $6 for the DVR service, with the exception of our VIP922 models, which would be $10.

Hi. This is Phillip Chang with DISH Network. I have read all your posts and want you to know that we really appreciate your feed back; also props for everyone's great advice. Just to add to this, in order to enjoy DVR functionality, which includes being able to watch and record two separate programs at the same time, and video on demand, an account must have a DVR Service fee.The DVR Service Fee is now an account level fee. In other words, no matter the number of active DVR receivers you currently have on your account, there would just be one account level fee of $6 for the DVR service, with the exception of our VIP922 models, which would be $10.

I don't really see any advantage of Dish TV over Cable... Dish may starts at 39.95 after the Promo and when you add a receiver or 2 with DVR Fees, and a "Service Plan" which Cable does not have ... one ends up with a bill much higher than cable... not counting the Service Calls!!

PS. I made a mistake it is not 39.95... it is 39.99 !

Last edited:
Not so fast Phillip Chang. Yes, there is just one $6 DVR account level fee, but there is also a $3 DVR fee for every DVR receiver after the first. Can you say double dipping......?

Not so fast Phillip Chang. Yes, there is just one $6 DVR account level fee, but there is also a $3 DVR fee for every DVR receiver after the first. Can you say double dipping......?

I do not see this $3 fee you speak of. I have 2 722k's.

The DVR Service Fee is now an account level fee. In other words, no matter the number of active DVR receivers you currently have on your account, there would just be one account level fee of $6 for the DVR service, with the exception of our VIP922 models, which would be $10.

Riiiiiiiiiiiight..... if this was really the case, then there would be a fixed price for each additional receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts