DVR Folder question

nuttz565

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
colorado
So Ive been back with *E and Im still figuring everything out. One thing I REALLY like is the option to create folders and have specific programing automatically go into a desired folder. One thing I noticed is when you go into a custom folder to view the programming it shows every episode of a series and does not combing them into one single folder like it does on the main DVR page. Is there any way to view series in a custom folder like on the main DVR page? I hope my question makes sense! Thanks guys

Been talked about so many times and is something customers have wanted for a long time. Not happening. At least any time soon. Their response would be if you want to view it that way then do not use my folders.

Dish won't invest the time to build a friendlier "my folders" area. And be careful with my folders. Dish has no way to delete or rename them. And there is also a problem (for some people) where at certain screens the first and second folders are swapped and the second folder name is always blank. Either this is just an issue for 10 or 11 customers, of which I'm one, and they are not going to invest time to fix a rare issue or Dish truly does not care to fix it, as this has been noted and told "we're working on it" on this forum as well as their own "support" forum. Over 15 months now.

See this post: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/saving-to-wrong-folder.309613/#post-3152744

Well that puts a damper on the folder usefulness but nether the less it's still a very cool feature I didn't get with *D

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I totally agree. I use it exclusively as a way where I do not have to be subjected to long lists of (grrr!) icons from the entire family that I do not want to wade through and want all mine in one neat folder. And it would be nice in my folders to see the one icon for a series with the number of recordings and then open the folder and see a 'list' of the recordings and not more icons. The programming already exists so there is practically ZERO effort in making it work in my folders, aside from some code copying and testing.

Like Dish management gets the football to the opponent's 5 yard line then walks off the field thinking good enough, their job is done.

Last thing. I promise! ;)

If you have a Hopper with PTAT enabled and you have the issue with my folders where you have the missing folder issue, I think it will mess up your 'save series' recordings. I have a Hopper w/Sling and a regular Hopper. BOTH have that d@mn missing folder issue so it's not related to only one device. The regular Hopper has PTAT enabled and the Sling does not. I have a few shows on the PTAT enabled Hopper where I save the series to a folder I created on that Hopper. And it NEVER saves to the folder. ALWAYS saves to the no folder folder.

I believe it is because of the screwed up folders issue that the software barfs when trying to automatically move the saved recording to the folder I specified. I always have to go to the no folder folder then manually move each one to the folder I want. Tried deleting the timer and creating again multiple times thinking it was maybe a corrupt timer. But it happens to every timer I have set to save.

For my situation, the regular Hopper is mainly the one where my wife stores all her recordings so I want to keep the few prime time shows I like in my folder where I again, don't have to sift through all her girly show recordings to pick out mine! And keep the Sling as the Hopper with three tuners.

As of right now I don't have the missing folder issue you have(and hopefully don't get it!)
The main reason I set up the folder option was to eliminate the Sponge Bob and other kid recordings I have to sift through while trying to find my programming. I imagine the request I had earlier about recordings not going into folders inside of custom folders isn't a really big request. From what I have seen at most large companies they address only the most complained about issues and small ones like these get pit aside until more people bring them up.
Either way I'm really enjoying all of these cool features that *D didn't have.
On a side note I would also LOVE the option to view my recordings as text based like on *D as opposed to viewing pages of icons.

Can I ask where is the setting for list view? I don't see it on my DVR settings

On a side note I would also LOVE the option to view my recordings as text based like on *D as opposed to viewing pages of icons.

They kinda do. In Folders by Title IF there are multiple recordings they show as a list. Again, the programming already exists to display lists instead of icons so they could easily port it over to other areas. As an option for those that want to enable that way of experiencing the Hopper.

I work for a very large global company that has faaar more red tape than Dish will ever experience and manage application development and deployment. Nothing different than what Dish does. And we always find time to fit in those nasty little bug updates, simple user requests or make the user experience better. Dish has the time. They just choose to not improve what they feel is fine for users. They don't get that 5% of the people who are vocal about something (many times) really represents a much larger percentage of people who never speak up or feel the same way. So they assume is no big deal.

Can I ask where is the setting for list view? I don't see it on my DVR settings
Sorry, my bad. I've been clamoring for a text based list instead of icons for a long while, it is one of the many things keeping me from upgrading.

It's just my schtick to mention it any chance I get. :D

Reactions: Tron2012
Dish count me as wanting the option for list based recordings like the 722K and other dvrs have. I do not have an Iphone, so why would I want Icons. Please give us the option to change to list based recordings.

It was mentioned earlier that you cannot rename or delete custom folders. Just to correct that, yes you can. You cannot rename or delete the predesignated ones delivered by dish.
DVr>My Folder>Edit>(select the folder you want to edit or delete, so it has a check mark)>Edit Action(green button)>select the option you wanna perform.

It was mentioned earlier that you cannot rename or delete custom folders. Just to correct that, yes you can. You cannot rename or delete the predesignated ones delivered by dish.
DVr>My Folder>Edit>(select the folder you want to edit or delete, so it has a check mark)>Edit Action(green button)>select the option you wanna perform.

Correct. I renamed my Custom Folders just 2 nights ago. I too want folders withing custom folders just like I had with the ViP's. Considering the ViP's have had it for a very long time, it really chaps my hide Dish can't figure out how to make it work for the Hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)