DVR for free to air

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm using a Sony DHG-HDD250. It records high definition ATSC, and Clear QAM or encrypted QAM via Cable Card. The recorder has separate Cable and Antenna inputs. This is a 2005 vintage machine that was only sold for a few months before they were apparently sued by TiVO. However, used and occasionally new old stock can be found on Ebay. The only problem with the Sony DVR is that there is no access to the recorded files.

I also have an ATSC/QAM tuner installed in my AZBox and can make recordings with direct access to the recorded files. This would be a great DVR solution if they ever get their software cleaned up.

nah....if they still use the system they did when I was there it was AS400 ;) (ancient system)

Albeit the name AS400 is no longer used anymore, I like to think the system still developed and manufactured here in Rochester MN is far from ancient :D. Even those of us still developing the system have a hard time keeping up with the proper name to call it (iSeries, System i, IBM i).

not really a pvr but it works.... hauppauge pvr 150.... records like a dumb vcr... ice have i seen u at the tivo site b4.... homebrew tivo that is?

I have an older Philips/Magnavox unit like the ones above. I only use it for OTA and not for cable. It works great. As pointed out it is only SD resolution, but does upconvert to HD. You will have to get used to setting timers by time and channel, as you probably will not have a program guide loaded into the recorder. What I think is a better solution, is to get a used Series 2 TiVo with a lifetime subscription. They can be bought fairly cheap on EBAY, and are much more user friendly. Now both these solutions will work fine for SD cable and a 4x3 tv. (provided the cable as stated is analog cable) The TiVo will require connection to a phone line or preferable a high speed internet connection. With the TiVo if you want to make a DVD of a recording, then you will need a networked computer to transfer the shows off of the TiVo (provided they are not marked a copy protected) to your computer and then DVD authoring software to make a DVD out of the transfered file. (or some other way of playing a mpeg file)
The lack of a program guide on the Magnavox makes the PVR cumbersom. The TiVo is a real plus with its automatic recordings of shows that have like interestes. You build up a history of interests by using a thumbs up and thubs down button rateing the shows. Over time it can automatically record shows that you will like. Another plus is the ability to set timers over the internet.

I thought I read somewhere that the series TWO units did not have an OTA connection. Cable card only????

I thought I read somewhere that the series TWO units did not have an OTA connection. Cable card only????

The first post says he is looking for a unit for analog cable (cable without a box). The TiVo Series 2 units have a RF input for cable, as well as a S-Video and composite video in. (at least the model 649080 does) This model does not have an ATSC tuner that would be required for a digital OTA antenna. This model also does not have a cable card slot.
The dual tuner in this model is that you can use the RF input and the Composite or S-Video input at the same time. It does not have two RF inputs. It does not have two S-Video or Composite inputs. You can not use the Composite and S-Video inputs at the same time, only one or the other. You can only use RF input and the S-Video or Composite input at the same time.

I also have an ATSC/QAM tuner installed in my AZBox and can make recordings with direct access to the recorded files. This would be a great DVR solution if they ever get their software cleaned up.

Just out of curiosity, are you doing time-based recording or is the OTA guide available? Another possible option that I used with my MythTV box was Schedules Direct guide service.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts