DVR playback "skips/drop-outs"?

retiredTech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Missouri
I had a 721 and loved it, but because of new smartcard compatibilty, it was replaced by a 625.
While some features on the 625 are welcome addtions, it's playback quality seem nowhere near my old 721.

Let me try to describe the quirks.
1) while playing a recording *sometimes*, it "skips" (jumps over a "1/2-1 second or so) of picture & sound. But if you rewind and play that section again it plays ok.
This can happen serval times during some recording playbacks and not at all during others.

2) while playing a recording,*sometimes* when you press "skip back" the picture and sound breaks-up (like it would if there was low or intermittent signal *missing pixels & missing/chirp-ing sound*)
But if you rewind and play that section again it plays ok.

3) The over-all picture quality seems lower then my old 721. This is not for certain, but seems like the bit-rate is less on the 625.

My questions:
1) anyone having these issues with the 625 (or other receivers)?
2) is this just quirks of the new receivers/software?
3) or is this a defect in my 625?

These are annoying quirks and shouldn't be there,
but also don't always happen.
If it is par then I will live with it,
but if there is something wrong with my 625, I should get a replacement.

WOW!!! I am glad I am not the only one having this issue... My wife noticed it the other evening while watching a movie she recorded on the hard drive... I will take it one step further on my 625 even when we are watching live TV the pic will break up, but the sound does not drop out or miss a beat... I am getting good signal strength on both 119 and 110 so I don't know what is going on... I was considering even calling dish, but know they would want me to unplug it or something crazy... I am sure it is something with the software on the 625 because my trusty old 510 never skips a beat... CC

i have a 612 and mine skips as well. Not so much on Satellite recordings but mostly on over the air stuff. Mine also seems to have a knack for knowing just when a punchline is about to be uttered and then it starts. i can always rewind and all is well but it still kinda ruins the moment. i hope Dish is able to get this fixed soon.

Okay, I'm having the same problem, and it's happening more frequently.

Tonight, I recorded Survivor, which is an hour long program. The dvr shows that the entire hour recorded, but when I playback the program, it shuts off about 43 minutes in. The final 17 minutes of the program are there, but I'm not able to view them. Every time I go back and try to re-watch, it cuts off at the 43 min mark.

This happens with about 10% of my recordings. Any suggestions?

We have the same issues with ours as well. One of these days when we get caught up on viewing the recordings or the thing completely bites it we're calling in for a replacement. This is the second unit (625) we've had and the problems started about 4 weeks after the replacement was put in. I'm anything but impressed with this model. I fear though we will only get another half junked model that was most likely replaced for the same reason. They seem to have a habit of recycling returns until they are burned to toast.