DVR program sorting-checking for repeats

dntc0x

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
My kids like to record certain cartoons, and on a couple of them I think that there are 50-60+ shows recorded. Their mother set the dvr to record every instance, so I don't doubt that some of the shows are 'repeats', 'dupes', etc.

Is there a way to more easily sort the 'dupes' so that I can delete them? It would be extremely tedious to write (type) down each of the episode names and their order.

I have a 211 with an EHD.

Thanks!

You can got to EDIT from the main My Recording screen. Just make sure you highlight what you want to delete as opposed to "delete all" which will wipe you out completely.

To actually answer the question you asked, there is no way to sort the duplicates so your only option is to manually look at each recording info/title and very carefully choose(write down) the ones you want/need to delete.

To actually answer the question you asked, there is no way to sort the duplicates so your only option is to manually look at each recording info/title and very carefully choose(write down) the ones you want/need to delete.

I was afraid of that! I'll check back in a day or so to see if anyone else has a suggestion, but since you are a founder, you should know as much as anyone.

DN96? If so, thanks from EM97

If they have episode numbers it is not too hard to write down.
Sorry, I wish you (and I) could sort by episode numbers, making the testing easier.
Sorting by episode (sub)titles would also work, but alas. I have a pile of Futuramas that need either.
The worst case is when they all have generic info and only by viewing can then be told apart.
In that case you might edit the title of each to the episode number or title. I have a pile of such Monty Pythons.
Title editing forces the initial letter to be capital and the rest lower case.
It is limited to 14 letters or so with no undo.
Beforehand place them in a group--a lot less messy.
Groups do not work on an EHD. So unless the titles are the same on the EHD they are not grouped.
-Ken

Its odd ... in the past (625's and now 722k's) the only time I have recordings from the "all" is when they don't exist already in the DVR ...

Now for the EXCITING news.. Try going into your DVR remotely through dishonline.com ... NOT.. I repeat **NOT** through Dish Remote Access.

In DishOnline.com ... they've updated the "View DVR" page ... before ... it was one *long* page with the event TIMERS as well as any event recordings in one long list....

NOW ... it shows TWO seperate tabs.. one for recordings ... one for timers..

Go into the Recordings tab ... scroll down to your kid's show... it will show you how many episodes are recorded... and when you click to go INTO that group .. it will list each one.. hopefully like for regular shows.. with the Episode Title and if in it, an episode number.. etc..

See the attached screenshot for a sample of the new interface..

Do take note though.. I'm on a 722k so it may be different for other receivers... ie YMMV

Attachments

• dishonline-new.jpg
    dishonline-new.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 168
Groups do not work on an EHD. So unless the titles are the same on the EHD they are not grouped.
-Ken

That's funny, they do group on my ehd. Once you select Sort/Alpha/Numeric on the My Recordings screen of the DVR menu, they sorted on my ehd. The sort doesn't work until you have at least 2 episodes of the same show on the internal dvr, then they will also show up on the ehd as grouped. I know this because I replaced my 722 in Feb. due to over heating issues. After being unplugged for a couple of hours, it would take over a hour to lock up again. I was able to move everything to my ehd. After installing the new 722 and attaching the ehd, nothing was grouped. However as soon as I had 2 episodes of the same program on the internal hd, everything on the ehd was grouped again.

I was referring to user-created groups, not those formed by having the same titles.
These are shown as single items on the EHD instead of in their designated "My Groups."
As there is no user-editable fields except the title (and the protect bit), I had to use the title for the absent descriptions and missing episode numbers for a large set of recordings--Monty Python, yet to be seen.
Most shows had the episode name in the first slate or CC text.
These go into a gray, not white, folder on the internal drive.
Since each title is different to indicates the episode sequence they do not sort together on the EHD.
I can see where the group names might only be available on the DVR and not carried to the EHD.
Still would be nice to sort by episode number and to set it when lacking.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts