DVR Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jmcgann333

Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
I am considering changing to Dish network, considering their promotions regarding a free DVR or HD receiver. I contacted DirecTV, and they have offered to give me a free DVR with a one year additional committment if I stay with them.
The DVR from Dish has a 100 hour capacity, while the DirecTV has only 35.
DirecTV further stated that there is no way of knowing the brand of DVR you will receive, until they arrive to install it.

Do any of you have a 35 hour model, and are you content with it's reliability and functionality?

Should I continue my DirecTV patronage and accept the free* DVR and commit to another year or give Dish a try?

* Requires one year commitment

- Jake

Additional Info...

I wanted to add that Dish requires a two year committment, at which time you actually own the hardware. Do you own the Directv DVR or is it the same logic?

You own it. Also, the Directv DVR has 2 tuners

It's also a Tivo!! Dish DVR's work like a VCR.

You can also upgrade the hard drive to any size you want.

silversurfer01973 said:
Someone correct me if I am wrong but the biggest drive you can put in a Directivo is 2 120 gig drives.
:) From what I have read over at the Tivo Community Forums, the largest useable space on a drive is 137 gigs. (It's a limitation of the Linux kernel.) You can use a larger hard drive but you will only use 137 gigs of the available space. Sooooo, if you see a really great deal on a 160 gig drive, grab it! :yes

Jake: Just curious, how long have you been subscribed to DirecTV? I'm curious because I also recently talked to DirecTV about cancelling because of DISH Network's free DVR offer. But the best deal that DirecTV offered was not as good as what you got. I didn't push to hard though.

What I was trying to say was that you can get more than 100 hours out of a Tivo compared to Dish pvr's.

Take the Directivo! you can upgrade it and it has 2 tuners. you can't beat 2 tuners! It has the Tivo operating system, which is way better then Dish's DVR.

So in order to have 200+ hours recording capacity on the DirecTivo I would have to purchase 2 120 or 2 160 gig (though I know it only gives you 137 gigs useable), correct? I currently have DISH and the 510, and the one thing I would really want is a season pass type thing, and the 2 tuners. I have been looking strongly at D*. The wife is looking at it too thanks to the whole Viacom/DISH issue.

I Switched and Came Back

I switched to Dish from Direct mainly to get the 921 receiver. Dual tuner recording functions are important to me. HD is also important to me. I was unhappy with some functionality features of the 921 as well as some customer service issues. I switched back to Direct and have the HD-DVR250 on order. In the meantime, I have one of Direct's 35 hour DVR's. I did commit to a one year agreement with Direct wich is usually standard. I had also commited to a one year with Dish, even though I left them after 3 weeks. The 35 hour DVR works fine and is a nice receiver for the price. (all manufacturer's models are very similar I am told). If I were you, I would not switch to Dish.

John

jmcgann333 said:
I am considering changing to Dish network, considering their promotions regarding a free DVR or HD receiver. I contacted DirecTV, and they have offered to give me a free DVR with a one year additional committment if I stay with them.
DirecTV further stated that there is no way of knowing the brand of DVR you will receive, until they arrive to install it.

Do any of you have a 35 hour model, and are you content with it's reliability and functionality?

Should I continue my DirecTV patronage and accept the free* DVR and commit to another year or give Dish a try?

* Requires one year commitment

- Jake

One 120 gig drive gives you 107 hours on a DirecTivo so two 120 gig drives would be plenty to give you 200+ hours. I just switched to DirecTV five weeks ago and have upgraded two of my DVR's to 120 gig and left my third at 40 gig. Takes a little while to get used to the DTivo's but they work great and now I just need the HD DTivo and I will be a happy camper.

MikeHDTulsa said:
One 120 gig drive gives you 107 hours on a DirecTivo so two 120 gig drives would be plenty to give you 200+ hours. I just switched to DirecTV five weeks ago and have upgraded two of my DVR's to 120 gig and left my third at 40 gig. Takes a little while to get used to the DTivo's but they work great and now I just need the HD DTivo and I will be a happy camper.
Hey, would you mind telling me how you upgraded. I am thinking of getting DTivo for my mother but she wants more hours for when she is visiting family and needs to record a lot.

I found out how to upgrade over at the Tivocommunity.com forum site they have all the info you need if you do not mind tinkering around inside your computer swapping hard drives and they have the software you need to backup and expand your hard drive to a larger one. There are several companies that sell upgrade kits that all you have to do is put a new drive in the DirecTivo which is the best way if you think the instructions from the other forum look a little confusing. I did the upgrade myself and bought one 120 gig drive for $60 and the other one for $50 when they had rebates from Maxtor. Just remember when you tinker around in the DTivo's you do void the warranty but at $99 a piece price for them I figured what the heck might as well have some fun.

Status
Please reply by conversation.