Status
Please reply by conversation.

KCK_Halo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Gentlemen,

I have a DVR - R15-500 and for over a year now I have had an irritating problem. At least once a week one of my channels will be pixilated and unviewable. It is usually one of my MLB EI channels or one of my two local FSN channels (692 or 694).

Initially, if I rebooted the problem would be corrected. However, now (thru a tip by a DTV tech rep a while back) I must swap my two lines coming into the box. While this does work...1.) It is a pain in the ass to have to keep doing...2.) I am certain that after awhile all of that unscrewing and rescrewing will take its toll on the connectors...and 3.) I am paying for the service and it should be corrected permanently.

However, every time I call the tech reps, they make me go thru the reboot thing and then swap the cables and it is fixed and that's it and they won't even consider replacing the DVR.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I thank you in advance. ;)

However, every time I call the tech reps, they make me go thru the reboot thing and then swap the cables and it is fixed and that's it and they won't even consider replacing the DVR.
Outside of lying and telling them that the cable swap doesn't fix the problem, I'm at a loss.

You might try rearranging the connections at the multiswitch or LNB so that the R15 is not on output 1.

Outside of lying and telling them that the cable swap doesn't fix the problem, I'm at a loss.

You might try rearranging the connections at the multiswitch or LNB so that the R15 is not on output 1.

ya do try that... it might help..

do you have another other recievers in the house that is doing the same? if you do, LNB is a possiblity.

first off, i should ask, what kind of dish you got? how many lines? do you get a second dish for locals at all?

ya do try that... it might help..

do you have another other recievers in the house that is doing the same? if you do, LNB is a possiblity.

first off, i should ask, what kind of dish you got? how many lines? do you get a second dish for locals at all?

I have another receiver (non DVR) which works perfectly and have only one dish...kind unknown (sorry I am at work and not near it).

I have another receiver (non DVR) which works perfectly and have only one dish...kind unknown (sorry I am at work and not near it).

wait a minute..... did you say your DVR is a R15-500? I was thinking HR21 bc i dont deal with standards as they dont exist anymore in my part of the midwest

does your receiver look like this?

13970034_1.jpg

or does it look like this"

S6300644.jpg

I do know that R15-500 are pain in the ass. if youre stubborn with the DTV and keep telling them you want a replacement and please mail it to me. they will eventually give in and send it to you. Im surprised that youre still using the R15-500 bc they then would replace that with a HR 21 or HR22 for the standard DVRs which means an upgrade to a Slimline dish.

Ive had 3 in my house and the last DVR gave out, i just upgraded to a HDDVR but however they will automatic renew your contract to 2 year when you install a new reciever in HD.

sddtvtech, my DVR is like the first photo you posted. I have no knowledge of how out-of-date it is. It was installed in Feb, 2007.

Perhaps I should just be more firm and demand a replacement. Thanks.

sddtvtech, my DVR is like the first photo you posted. I have no knowledge of how out-of-date it is. It was installed in Feb, 2007.

Perhaps I should just be more firm and demand a replacement. Thanks.

i dont kid when someone wants something and directv says no.. lets fix this first.. what would happen then would a tech come out... fix it and does actually replace it.. they just charged you for a tech to come out where you can just get a reciever in the mail and do the step by step to activate it and that then doesnt make them a profit for techs nor directv.

be firm!

i dont kid when someone wants something and directv says no.. lets fix this first.. what would happen then would a tech come out... fix it and does actually replace it.. they just charged you for a tech to come out where you can just get a reciever in the mail and do the step by step to activate it and that then doesnt make them a profit for techs nor directv.
be firm!

Well, lo and behold! I did call and the first rep I got was quite sensitive to the issue and said since it was over 2 years I was eligible for a replacement or upgrade as I have the protection insurance. She also gave me a $200 credit just in case they did not decide the replacement was warranted (?????).

The rep she passed me off to was going down the path of "if you aren't experiencing the problem currently I can't send out a tech or mail a replacement" until I stopped her and got rather firm that I wanted a replacement as this had to stop. She immediately changed her tune and I have a tech coming out Sunday morning!

Let's pray he is a REAL DTV person and not a contractor!!!!:eek:

I thank you for your guidance with this problem.

Well, lo and behold! I did call and the first rep I got was quite sensitive to the issue and said since it was over 2 years I was eligible for a replacement or upgrade as I have the protection insurance. She also gave me a $200 credit just in case they did not decide the replacement was warranted (?????).

The rep she passed me off to was going down the path of "if you aren't experiencing the problem currently I can't send out a tech or mail a replacement" until I stopped her and got rather firm that I wanted a replacement as this had to stop. She immediately changed her tune and I have a tech coming out Sunday morning!

Let's pray he is a REAL DTV person and not a contractor!!!!:eek:

I thank you for your guidance with this problem.

good deal. i used to start off as a contractor but i was good at it bc just gotta pay attention in class training.

like i said. it sounds like a DVR reciever problem.

if youre firm, you'll get what you want except prices for programming.. cant win that battle.

Just to follow-up and bring closure and a few chuckles...

Scheduled appointment was yesterday 8A-12P. No show.

I got a call from a rep @ 12:15P saying he'd be there by 1P. No show. I call @ 1:15P and ask where he is and rep said she'd have "local office" call me ASAP.

I call @ 2:15P and ask where he is and rep said she'd contact rep personally and have him call me.

I call @ 3:15P and ask what the f%$k is going on:rant: and I get a $50 "late arrival credit" and the promise of another phone call. I ask for a supervisor who sends two "urgent" messages to "local office" to have someone contact me ASAP. In the meantime he gets a response that the rep would not get here till 5:30P (approx. 2 hrs later) . I thank the supervisor for all of his help and the credit and hang up.

At 3:40P the service tech is at my door!!!! I ask him why he was so late and he said he just got the call and was "picking up someone else's slack". He was an actual DTV employee who was pleasant and courteous. He went over my entire set up and replaced some connections on both units, tweeked my dish and upgraded me to the newer model (black-faced) R16-300 DVR. Over in less tha 1/2 hr.

So, overall, the end result was pleasant and I could not have asked for more. BUT what I had to go thru to finally get it done was a real headache!!!

Thanks again for the tips and advise.

just a tip... there are no technicians that work directly for Directv. We all work for some type of contractor for Directv. Glad to see you were taken care of!

just a tip... there are no technicians that work directly for Directv. We all work for some type of contractor for Directv. Glad to see you were taken care of!

OOPS! Sorry. I didn't know that. I just assumed since he drove up in a nice and shiny DirecTV truck and wore a shirt bearing the name that he was employed by them.

He sure beat out the obvious contractor I was given to do my install back in 2/07. He was a real trip!

Thanks again.

OOPS! Sorry. I didn't know that. I just assumed since he drove up in a nice and shiny DirecTV truck and wore a shirt bearing the name that he was employed by them.

He sure beat out the obvious contractor I was given to do my install back in 2/07. He was a real trip!

Thanks again.
some are just better than others. like the company I work for, a large corporation, that strives to care of thier customer(DIRECTV) and its customers!:cool:

uh i dont... i work directly with Directv... I used to be a HSP tech for Premier Communications in Oklahoma City, OK til the filed bankruptcy, now i work for Directv and everything i get is paid for, including cables, fittings, gas, and i mean EVERYTHING, except pants and boots.

i dont know where you get your source saying there is no tech that works directly for directv. who do you think does commerical installs? some HSP can do it but direct usually sends a tech from th closes directv office but however in our case now, we can do them and contractors are strictly home installs around here.

this is how you can tell:

if the van has a "Contractor with xx company" under the directv on the doors (mainly the front driver and passenger) would say.

when i was employed for Preimier Comm, it was printed with Premier Communication sticker with a Directv Loga above it, now mine doesnt say anything now and its a 2009 Chevy van.

:shrugs:

dont believe me, call my office and ask if they are contractors...

btw thetech2009, it looks like you got letters under your driver side door and probably says sub-contract of MasTec or whatever, mine used to say sub-contract Premier Comm if i remember correct.

[edit] Heres a pic of my van...

S6300648-1.jpg

[/edit]

Last edited:
uh i dont... i work directly with Directv... I used to be a tech for HSP for Premier Communications in Oklahoma city til the filed bankruptcy, now i work for Directv and everything i get is paid for, including cables, fittings, gas, and i mean EVERYTHING, except pants and boots.

i dont know where you get your source saying there is no tech that works directly for directv. who do you think does commerical installs? (some HSP can do it but directv usually sends a tech from th closes directv office but however in our case now, we dont have a contract job.

this is how you can tell:

if the can has a "Contractor with xx company" under the directv on the doors (mainly the front driver and passenger) would say.

when i was employed for Preimier Comm, it was printed with Premier Communication sticker with a Directv Loga above it, now mine doesnt say anything now and its a 2009 Chevy van.

:shrugs:

dont believe me, call my office and ask if they are contractors...

btw thetech2009, it looks like you got letters under your driver side door and probably says sub-contract of MasTec or whatever, mine used to say sub-contract Premier Comm if i remember correct.

[edit] Heres a pic of my van...

S6300648-1.jpg

[/edit]
so your paycheck comes from DirecTv???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)