DVR recorder programs without sat signal?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ezrydr

Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
NW Iowa
Hi, new to the forum.
We just did the usual '2year-switheroo' and went from Direct TV to Dish so we could take advantage of the 'new customer' premiums that Dish offered.
Why these sat companies cannot figure out that maybe they could keep a customer for longer than 2 years if they just made it easy for their long time cusotmers to get the same deals they offer new is beyond me. But that's a whole nother story.

My question is this - my wife wants to watch some of the recorded programs that are still on the Direct TV DVR even though the DVR is no longer connected to sat signal. Of course the box just keeps looking for sat signal when we turn it on and so far I can find no way to get it past that so we can just use the DVR to watch and maybe dump to tape some of the stuff she has recorded.

Is there any way at all to do this? Or are we SOL?

Thanks,
Steve

Smart people do that before cancelling service, besides that is a leased DVR you should be getting a return kit to return D* property.

You don't mention what receiver you are using. I know with the HD-Tivo I could get to recorded programs on a de-activated receiver - I believe by pushing the 'Tivo' button. I've never tried with my HR-XX receivers though. I know the question has come up before.

You should be able to hit your list button on your remote and then the list of recorded programs that you have should come up. I've did this many of times when we loose sat. picture due to weather.

Actually, I know exactly how to do it - but since you are one of the bi-annual switchers that game the systems and make it more expensive for everyone else, I chose not to disclose.

Enjoy your deal.

You should be able to hit your list button on your remote and then the list of recorded programs that you have should come up. I've did this many of times when we loose sat. picture due to weather.

Actually, I know exactly how to do it - but since you are one of the bi-annual switchers that game the systems and make it more expensive for everyone else, I chose not to disclose.

Enjoy your deal.
Well seeing that poster is not the only one interested in hearing an answer, please pass the word around so the rest of the users on this site can do it.

Thank you

Jimbo

Last edited:

Enjoy your deal.

How exactly is he "gaming" the system?

Nothing wrong with finishing a contract and going where the deals are, especially given how much monthly service CAN run.

I agree with the OP but I understand that companies often give better deals to new customers to get them in the contract. Then they hope when the time comes that people will find it easier to just keep with their current provider rather then going through the process of making a switch.

Bill

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)