DVR Scheduling from smartphone question.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Polarys425

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Grottoes, VA.
I just had Direct installed last Saturday, and so far enjoy it quite well. I was playing around with the DVR scheduling from my smartphone, and initiated recording while i was sitting in front of it, so I know it will work. So, I powered the DVR off, and scheduled a recording via smartphone app, and it didn't record. Does the DVR have to be left on? Or is something else a miss? I haven't found much of anything that covers all the basics on using this feature.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

I just had Direct installed last Saturday, and so far enjoy it quite well. I was playing around with the DVR scheduling from my smartphone, and initiated recording while i was sitting in front of it, so I know it will work. So, I powered the DVR off, and scheduled a recording via smartphone app, and it didn't record. Does the DVR have to be left on? Or is something else a miss? I haven't found much of anything that covers all the basics on using this feature.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

It's not going to Record instantly, you need to give it enough time, D* will send you an email verifying it as well.

Why it didn't record, I don't know , unless like I said, you didn't give it enough time.

The DVR never really goes off, so don't worry about that, the front panel goes out, but the rest is still working.

When i powered it off, i scheduled a recording that would start till the beginning of the next 1/2 hour. It was 1:02am, and scheduled to record at 1:30am.

Hmmm, never got any emails from the D either, even for the one that did record.

When i powered it off, i scheduled a recording that would start till the beginning of the next 1/2 hour. It was 1:02am, and scheduled to record at 1:30am.

Hmmm, never got any emails from the D either, even for the one that did record.

Are you signed up to recve email fro them ?

Jimbo said:
It's not going to Record instantly, you need to give it enough time, D* will send you an email verifying it as well.

Why it didn't record, I don't know , unless like I said, you didn't give it enough time.

The DVR never really goes off, so don't worry about that, the front panel goes out, but the rest is still working.

I can record from my phone and I receive D emails but I've never received one about recording. Is it a specific kind of email I need to subscribe to?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm subscribed to all the emails but I've never received that notification. I have no problems setting recordings from my iPhone though.

Kevin,
Your recording should have started within a few seconds of your smartphone request. I did most of my testing with the Guide on the D* website. When I schedule a recording in the guide it starts within a couple of seconds if I pick a program in progress. Others start when scheduled and I get an email notifying me that I requested the recording. (I always figured this was a security feature to insure that I would know if my account was hacked and someone else was scheduling programs on my account.) Since I do not get cell service at my home I cannot test this feature with my smartphone. But, when I am away from home and want to schedule a program I just bring up the app, find the program I want, select it, pick which DVR to record it on and press select. I do not get an email for these recordings, but they do start when the program is scheduled. I would think your results should be the same.

As noted above it does not matter whether your DVR is on or off. In reality it is always on.
Bob

Last edited:
Kevin,
Your recording should have started within a few seconds of your smartphone request. I did most of my testing with the Guide on the D* website. When I schedule a recording in the guide it starts within a couple of seconds if I pick a program in progress. Others start when scheduled and I get an email notifying me that I requested the recording. (I always figured this was a security feature to insure that I would know if my account was hacked and someone else was scheduling programs on my account.) Since I do not get cell service at my home I cannot test this feature with my smartphone. But, when I am away from home and want to schedule a program I just bring up the app, find the program I want, select it, pick which DVR to record it on and press select. I do not get an email for these recordings, but they do start when the program is scheduled. I would think your results should be the same.

As noted above it does not matter whether your DVR is on or off. In reality it is always on.
Bob

Bob, I got to thinking about his, maybe the email only comes from one you place on the computer itself and not from a Smart Phone request, don't know for sure... but it could be .

You may be onto something here Jimbo. I scheduled a recording from my phone. It worked but I got no email notification.

Ok Chip, I just set something to Record from my computer to start at 3:15... well see what happens ...

edit:
Ok, the Recording is Recording as expected.
I also got this email from D*

DIRECTV®
YOUR RECORDING CONFIRMATION
MY ACCOUNT PAY BILL NOW WHAT'S ON TV DIRECTV CINEMA™ HIGH DEF

We have received your request to record:
Record Date: Sunday, Dec 11
Time: 3:15 PM EST
Program Title: 1,000 Ways to Die
Channel:
241 SpikeHD

Enjoy your recorded program. If you'd like to schedule additional recordings, see what's playing on The Guide.

For your security

Account Number:
xxxxxxxxxxxx
Last Name:
Me
Update Account >>

For your security
Keep watching while you browse & discover with the new DIRECTV® iPad App. LEARN MORE

ONLINE HELP DEMOS ANSWER CENTER TV LISTINGS NEW RELEASES

Last edited:
Ok, at 4:00 pm I have something set to record that I set with the Smart Phone, I'll know shortly if I get an email.

Edit:

Ok, when I scheduled the recording with the Smart Phone, I did NOT get an email sent.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up. I never get the email and wondered why.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)