DVR service fee

21st Hermit

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 26, 2005
Colorado
What are the current options to get rid of the dvr service fee? I'm a light TV user with the $20 Welcome Pak and a old DVR that I own.

Tried to search on "dvr service fee" in titles, two different errors and I quit.

Thanks

Buy a 211K, pay a one-time $40 fee to turn it into a DVR using your own External Hard Drive.

So, cost of 211K ($90) + DVR activation ($40) + EHD ($70) = roughly $200 up front cost to remove the DVR fee.
also, you can find new 211's for a little less on Ebay ($79 new w/free shipping) if you're "squeezing"...

Little harder to go tivo now that they jacked up the lifetime service price. I was going to go welcome pack, but for the nearly same $25, Cox gave me advanced basic and cable card for my Tivo to go with my 100mb internet. Dish is on pause for now.

Buy a 211K, pay a one-time $40 fee to turn it into a DVR using your own External Hard Drive.

So, cost of 211K ($90) + DVR activation ($40) + EHD ($70) = roughly $200 up front cost to remove the DVR fee.
Well, that plan would take a year and half to work off the upfront costs. Assuming the TS has a 622/722, he would be giving up a second tuner. So,the ultimate benefit, being a relatively long way off, and the loss of a second tuner, makes it, IMO, a no brainier to NOT do it.

Reactions: the mack
I'm sure he can make that decision for himself. I gave him the information he asked for and didn't try to convince him one way or another.
Well, aren't we here to help him/her see all sides of the coin?

Is it bad I feel like I am cheating on SG because I am working again and spending more time with my kids?

That's fine... I'll be a fly by poster now... I just don't have the time to check the threads so much now. Now I scroll and disappear. Maybe 20 minutes a day on SG. Especially after the H3 came out, it was madness.

That's fine... I'll be a fly by poster now... I just don't have the time to check the threads so much now. Now I scroll and disappear. Maybe 20 minutes a day on SG. Especially after the H3 came out, it was madness.

Good to see you Chad. Hope all is well with you and the family. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Well, that plan would take a year and half to work off the upfront costs. Assuming the TS has a 622/722, he would be giving up a second tuner. So,the ultimate benefit, being a relatively long way off, and the loss of a second tuner, makes it, IMO, a no brainier to NOT do it.
If the TS keeps the deactivated DVR hooked up to the satellites, it may still work for free preview channels and/or OTA channels. This can help offset the loss of the second tuner. I set up my sister with a system like this, switching her activated receiver from a 512 to a ViP211k with external hard drive, to eliminate the monthly DVR fee. The 512 still works for free preview channels.

If the TS keeps the deactivated DVR hooked up to the satellites, it may still work for free preview channels and/or OTA channels. This can help offset the loss of the second tuner. I set up my sister with a system like this, switching her activated receiver from a 512 to a ViP211k with external hard drive, to eliminate the monthly DVR fee. The 512 still works for free preview channels.
It's been repeatedly reported the deactivated receiver will go "dark" in about 30 days.

Counting on a deactivated receiver still functioning after the fact is not something I would bank on. If it works for you, cool, but I wouldn't expect it for everyone. And the pause part I know is going to affect some and not others.

It's been repeatedly reported the deactivated receiver will go "dark" in about 30 days.
And I have repeatedly reported that my deactivated receivers have continued to work much longer than that, some of them for several years. Maybe it varies by receiver model. I have had success with a 501, multiple 512's, multiple ViP722k's, and multiple receivers in the ViP211 family. (All of my ViP211's are non-DVRs, but still work for OTA and free preview channels.)

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts