DVR SWM 1 Tuner Working only?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dziegiel

Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
CA
Hello,

I have a DVR - R22-100 that I moved from one room to another room (bought an HD DVR for the 1st room). The DVR worked perfectly in the first but in the second I only have one tuner working, so I cannot record something and then watch something else. I called Directv and they say I need to run a second line to the room even though I have a SWM system and in the room next door I did not need it. Does anyone out there have any ideas on things I can look into vs running a second line?

Jason

Double check that you have both tuners enabled in the setup.

With an SWM setup, running a second line won't do any good unless you remove the SWM and revert to a regular setup.

BTW, which SWM do you have?

I did some experimenting/checking and I have a theory on the problem. If I unplug one of my other receivers this one works again (both tuners with a single line). So I believe I am over the limit of receivers the SWM can support possibly.

I currently have 4 DVRS and 1 standard receiver connected to a SWS-8 switch in the cable box. It appears I can only have 8 "tuners" available no matter how many cables are connected. Is that correct, is it a logical switch and if more than one tuner is needed on a single line it still counts against the 8? Or am I pushing against some other limit?

Assuming my theory holds, what are my options?

FYI I am not sure how to tell which SWM I have but it says is a slimline 3 dish.

Jason

yup, 8 tuners is all can do on 1 swm unless you put up a second dish. There are other ways to expand it but it will involve alot of wiring and switches plus modules.

Exactly, SWM can do 8 tuners. Choose one of the DVRs to run in one tuner mode, or ditch the standalone receiver (unless you want a second dish or some tougher wiring / parts setups).

Or just refused swm from the get go. I still take legacy setup over swm, allows me to still keep a tivo unit around and Multiswitches are cheap and can expand quite a bit.

Or just refused swm from the get go. I still take legacy setup over swm, allows me to still keep a tivo unit around and Multiswitches are cheap and can expand quite a bit.

Using the SWM8 you get 3 legacy ports to use, in addtion to being able to support 8 tuners on the two SWM ports, best of both worlds.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts