DVR SWM 1 Tuner Working only?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dziegiel

Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
CA
Hello,

I have a DVR - R22-100 that I moved from one room to another room (bought an HD DVR for the 1st room). The DVR worked perfectly in the first but in the second I only have one tuner working, so I cannot record something and then watch something else. I called Directv and they say I need to run a second line to the room even though I have a SWM system and in the room next door I did not need it. Does anyone out there have any ideas on things I can look into vs running a second line?

Jason

Double check that you have both tuners enabled in the setup.

With an SWM setup, running a second line won't do any good unless you remove the SWM and revert to a regular setup.

BTW, which SWM do you have?

I did some experimenting/checking and I have a theory on the problem. If I unplug one of my other receivers this one works again (both tuners with a single line). So I believe I am over the limit of receivers the SWM can support possibly.

I currently have 4 DVRS and 1 standard receiver connected to a SWS-8 switch in the cable box. It appears I can only have 8 "tuners" available no matter how many cables are connected. Is that correct, is it a logical switch and if more than one tuner is needed on a single line it still counts against the 8? Or am I pushing against some other limit?

Assuming my theory holds, what are my options?

FYI I am not sure how to tell which SWM I have but it says is a slimline 3 dish.

Jason

yup, 8 tuners is all can do on 1 swm unless you put up a second dish. There are other ways to expand it but it will involve alot of wiring and switches plus modules.

Exactly, SWM can do 8 tuners. Choose one of the DVRs to run in one tuner mode, or ditch the standalone receiver (unless you want a second dish or some tougher wiring / parts setups).

Or just refused swm from the get go. I still take legacy setup over swm, allows me to still keep a tivo unit around and Multiswitches are cheap and can expand quite a bit.

Or just refused swm from the get go. I still take legacy setup over swm, allows me to still keep a tivo unit around and Multiswitches are cheap and can expand quite a bit.

Using the SWM8 you get 3 legacy ports to use, in addtion to being able to support 8 tuners on the two SWM ports, best of both worlds.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)