DVR SWM upgrade possible?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

neale

Original poster
May 1, 2008
Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could ask for your opinion regarding a potential upgrade to an HD-DVR. Here is my existing setup:

1. Slimline 5-LNB dish.
2. Zinwell WB68 Multiswitch, mounted by cable drop outside.
3. 2 H21-100 Receivers.
4. 1 Standard-def D11-500 Receiver.

When this was installed (April 2008), the installers told me that the only way to install a DVR was to run two cable drops for each tuner, but they told me that if I wait for a year, the single wire multiswitch will become available, allowing me to use my existing wiring.

I am currently planning to upgrade my HT setup, and I am considering an upgrade to HD-DVR as well. Here is what I would like to know:

1. Is SWM widely available now? If so, what would I need to do in order to upgrade my setup? Could D* install it for me?

2. I understand that the SWM needs a separate power source; does this mean that it needs to be installed indoors? Is it possible to replace the WB68 mounted outside with the SWM?

3. Does the SWM place any additional restrictions on signal strength vs. cable length? All of my HD receivers already work great, although one is located further away from the switch than the others; would this present a potential difficulty?

4. Would I have to buy the switch separately or would it be covered by the installation fee that accompanies the DVR upgrade?

I've read about the SWM switch from various technical websites, but I'm not a satellite expert and would appreciate it if someone could explain it to me. Thanks.

The presence of the D11 complicates things. You'll either need to upgrade/replace it with a SWM compatible receiver (any HR2*/H2*/D12 will do) or get a SWM8 module that will allow "legacy" equipment to operate with SWM equipment. The former, IMHO, is the better way to go; think "future proofing"

Thanks for your response. What about the power issue? Will the SWM have to be mounted indoors, or can I place it in the WB68's current location?

DirecTV won't install a SWM setup on an upgrade. You will have to buy the SWM-8 yourself. Ebay is a good choice. Solid Signal is another.

The power inserter goes inside. The SWM8 could go outside, but I would put it out of the weather as much as possible. The unused ports must be capped.

All you ever wanted to know about the SWM-8 can be found here:

DirecTV SWM 8 and SWM 5 Multiswitch Information

DirecTV won't install a SWM setup on an upgrade. You will have to buy the SWM-8 yourself. Ebay is a good choice. Solid Signal is another.

The power inserter goes inside. The SWM8 could go outside, but I would put it out of the weather as much as possible. The unused ports must be capped.

All you ever wanted to know about the SWM-8 can be found here:

DirecTV SWM 8 and SWM 5 Multiswitch Information

The WB68 is currently mounted underneath my front porch, in an area that tends to stay dry; the only concern might be temperature, but the coldest it gets is 20F, which is rare.

How hard would it be to mount the switch? If I requested installation on the DVR, could I ask an installer to do it for me (if I buy the SWM-8)?

Last edited:
The WB68 is currently mounted underneath my front porch, in an area that tends to stay dry; the only concern might be temperature, but the coldest it gets is 20F, which is rare.

How hard would it be to mount the switch? If I requested installation on the DVR, could I ask an installer to do it for me (if I buy the SWM-8)?

I bet an installer would do it for you, but remember, the SWM-8 is not normally for residential use. Many installers will never have seen one. You could easily switch it out yourself. The four inputs on the WB68 will match the four inputs on the SWM-8, match wire for wire. Run a SWM slitter of one of the two outputs, hook up your receivers and your are done. Just make sure to put the caps on all the unused ports....That website I linked earlier will give you all the specific wiring details. Oh....one more thing, the D11 is not SWM compatible. You will need to connect it to one of the legacy ports on the SWM8.

That sounds doable; only one concern, though. The WB68 is currently mounted on a brick wall. Are the SWM8's dimensions comparable enough to use the same mounting holes? I don't have a drill bit that can drill into brick.

I bet an installer would do it for you, but remember, the SWM-8 is not normally for residential use. Many installers will never have seen one. You could easily switch it out yourself. The four inputs on the WB68 will match the four inputs on the SWM-8, match wire for wire. Run a SWM slitter of one of the two outputs, hook up your receivers and your are done. Just make sure to put the caps on all the unused ports....That website I linked earlier will give you all the specific wiring details. Oh....one more thing, the D11 is not SWM compatible. You will need to connect it to one of the legacy ports on the SWM8.

wait.... isnt a lnb have 4 cables while a SWM lnb has 1, how is ur 4 for 4 same hook up?

depending where u r, not all locations have swm8 legacys.. our only uses splitters.. nothing else

mayb i got the only SWM lnb that only has one cable, n i have not yet done a legacy installs. or nor will we ever get legacys.. our warehouse only take 4 & 8 splitter, n a single wire lnbs

Last edited:
wait.... isnt a lnb have 4 cables while a SWM lnb has 1, how is ur 4 for 4 same hook up?

depending where u r, not all locations have swm8 legacys.. our only uses splitters.. nothing else

mayb i got the only SWM lnb that only has one cable, n i have not yet done a legacy installs. or nor will we ever get legacys.. our warehouse only take 4 & 8 splitter, n a single wire lnbs

Previous poster was correct. Just connect the 4 wires coming from the LNB, and directly swap out the 6x8 for the SWM8.

With regards to the mounting, I would imagine the dimensions are going to be different and as such, at least one more hole will be drilled into the masonry (plastic mollies or small tapcons are best to secure to the wall)

That sounds doable; only one concern, though. The WB68 is currently mounted on a brick wall. Are the SWM8's dimensions comparable enough to use the same mounting holes? I don't have a drill bit that can drill into brick.

The size will be slightly different. I measured it the other day to put one in my media panel. it's more square than rectangular. Here is a suggestion. Get a piece of plywood and cut it so it is about an inch bigger than the SWM-8. Use the WB68 as a template to mark the holes. Drill the board and mount in using the original holes. I would suggest priming and painting it first so it doesn't rot. Then mount the SWM-8 to that board.

Your other option would be to buy a weatherproof box with a lid, mount it using the original holes and put the SWM8 inside it....

Or, you could go buy a masonry bit for $5.00........

You are right, but we are talking about the SWM8 multiswitch. You use the regular slimline LNB, four outputs go to the SWM-8 which has two ports that can be split for a total of 8 tuners (like the LNB). There are also three legacy ports for older receivers.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts