DVR-tivo D** question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

loudo

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
I am a D** subscriber and i want to get a DVR receiver, however i am "moved" and live in green bay WI, but i get Chicago local stations.

From what i understand i need a phone line to work a DVR receiver, so my question is can i do this or as soon as i plug my phone line in will they be able to tell that i am not in the place that my service is charged to?

Want to get TIVO but dont want to get "busted"

Please help!!

Thanks

Well, you really only need the phoneline for the initital set-up. After that, you can leave it unplugged like the other receivers. Whether or not they will "bust you" on that one call, I don't know. Personally, I doubt it.

so what you are saying is that Tivo receivers dont require a phone line to record programs?

that would be wonderful

No, they will nag you about it, but it won't prevent normal operation. But you can't even complete the initial setup without a call.

That (the initial setup) and maybe to initiate a software update (actual update binaries are known to come from the satellites).

Hong.

It is simply DirecTV policy that all receivers are to be connected to a land based phone line. Technically they can make you carry a subscription package for each receiver that is not connected. I have NEVER heard of this actually happening though.

Also there are legal ways to avoid the nag screens if you look for them.

If they were to ever enforce the "phone line has to be plugged in rule) they need to also have each box be able to hook up via IP.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)