DVR to IPOD

Only way it can be done is to capture it on your PC via a video capture card and then send it over to the iPod. You cannot directly transfer to any portable device other than the Pocket Dish.

This is why I now use a TIVO Series2 instead of my 522's DVR function. I was never a big fan of Tivo. But this they have right. The TIVO records a program, my desktop computer (which was put back together just for this purpose) sits there and downloads what the TIVO records, then converts it into a "portable" format. I have it convert it to work on my Treo650....

hobojoe said:
can you use the usb connection to transfer to the pc? or does the usb connection do anthing other than the pocket connection?

The USB connections only work with he Pocket Dish for video and some cameras for pictures.

I wish I could do that with the Dish receivers like one can with the Tivo. That is why I thought about getting a Tivo but I like Dish Network's setup and used to it and its cheaper.

If one didnt have to pay the monthly fee or the high lifetime subscrption for the Tivo more would get it. How does the monthly subscription work? Does it shut off the features if you do not pay the bill or does it not get the hit to shut htem off if you unhook the phoneline or do you get limited ability to do certain things without the subscription? I figure that without the phoneline/ethernet connection it does not get the EPG in which is needed to get your programs to record the name based recording/season pass.

I know that there are other DVR's than just the Tivo's out there too that can do similar things. Ain't there some out there that do this without the need of a subscription?

Stargazer said:
I wish I could do that with the Dish receivers like one can with the Tivo. That is why I thought about getting a Tivo but I like Dish Network's setup and used to it and its cheaper.

If one didnt have to pay the monthly fee or the high lifetime subscrption for the Tivo more would get it. How does the monthly subscription work? Does it shut off the features if you do not pay the bill or does it not get the hit to shut htem off if you unhook the phoneline or do you get limited ability to do certain things without the subscription? I figure that without the phoneline/ethernet connection it does not get the EPG in which is needed to get your programs to record the name based recording/season pass.

I know that there are other DVR's than just the Tivo's out there too that can do similar things. Ain't there some out there that do this without the need of a subscription?

you could build yourself a MythTV box.....that's free

birddoggy said:
you could build yourself a MythTV box.....that's free

Anyone hooked up a Myth box to a 622? I've had a MythTV box for a few years now and had it hooked to my 811 (via S-video) and it worked great. Not HD of course, but it's better than nothing! I haven't tried hooking it up that way to the 622 yet but I'm assuming I could?

Any ideas if/when the enthernet port will be activated? And what capability is envisioned for it ... ?

I have an old PIII computer with an AVer TV capture card. I use it with a 301 and set a timer on both the 301 and the PC when I want to record something. When the recording is finished I can convert manually using Quicktime Pro. It is a little cumbersome but works pretty good, and is very cheap. I am sure there are some programs out there that will record directly to MPEG4 for the iPod but I haven't really explored that very much.

Usually I just save recordings to MPEG1 format using the recording software that came with the tuner card then save recordings to my notebook PC for travel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)