DVR via app

The DVR via app function only works with Genies since it needs the ability to stream the content from your DVR.

At this point, I don't think it streams much of anything from the actual DVR. If it's streamable, it's coming from DTV servers. I can stream stuff that has been deleted from the HS17 but still shows in the app as it doesn't get removed immediately there. It's the same local broadcast but definitely not coming from my DVR.

Maybe there is some one off channel that they don't have the correct rights.

Reactions: Tom Speer
At this point, I don't think it streams much of anything from the actual DVR. If it's streamable, it's coming from DTV servers. I can stream stuff that has been deleted from the HS17 but still shows in the app as it doesn't get removed immediately there. It's the same local broadcast but definitely not coming from my DVR.

Maybe there is some one off channel that they don't have the correct rights.
I think this is right. I've got recordings that, when I request to play from the app, it definitely pulls from on-demand vs my actual recording. In fact, I think it ONLY lets me play back recorded content if it's 1:1 match for an existing on-demand show. I don't use this feature often, so it never really bugs me.

Reactions: Tom Speer
There's a line in the following DirecTV help page that says:
Heads up: It may take several minutes for a recording to appear in the DIRECTV App. DVR recordings in the DIRECTV App expire after 90 days while recordings on your set-top box receiver(s) do not expire.
https://www.directv.com/support/article/000084350
That led me to believe that DVR programs aren't actually streamed from the Genies but are mirrored cloud DVR recordings, only satellite customers only get 90 days instead of 9 months. To test this, I unplugged my Genie 2 and was still able to watch recently recorded DVR programs (not on-demand duplicates).

Rest assured that your Genie 2 isn't uploading recordings to the cloud.
That's not what I was saying. When you set a recording on your Genie or on the app it records BOTH to your DVR (where it stays) and cloud DVR where it's available for playback in the app for 90 days. That explains why when the feature was first rolled out only new recordings set after the feature was rolled out would be available to stream in the app.

i encountered that last week. I tried to schedule a recording from my loacal station,wen I was outside my home DMA. I wanted to watch it when I got home. Didn't work.
Wow what a setback. You are away from home, remotely set up a recording and unless its national, it won't keep it on the local Genie for local viewing? Seems odd that this cannot be done.

Wow, DishAnywhere kicks Directv's butt in this area. DA remotely connects to the Hopper3 and can be played in any place.

I may have been affected by something else. Here is the whole scenario. On Sunday April 14th CBS broadcast a Billy Joel Concert. It was delayed by other live programming running long, then the prime time shows shifted later. I extended the recording time of Ttracker and the Billy Joel Concert to accomodate that. They cut off the concert before the end to go to local news in all markets, during the performance of His iconic "Piano Man". Outrage erupted all over the country. They scheduled another broadcast of the show. I was out of town when I learned of that, and tried to schedule a recording of the rerun, but I already had an incomplete version on my Genie. The app said it would schedule the recording from Channel 390, which I am not authorized for. I did not succeed in getting the recording of the second braodcast.

Next month I will have an opportunity to try scheduling more recordings of local channels from out of market.