DVR625 questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
OK my dad finally is coming into the present age and is getting a DVR...found a new 625 online so just waiting on it. But I had some questions in regards to the recording/viewing. Read the manual online but still have some questions.
(now my dad isnt tech savvy...he wants this mainly to record shows while he is at work) ;)

1. In the single mode it pretty much would work like my Directv DVR's do where one tuner is to watch or record and the 2nd is to record only right?
(most of the time it will be set in this mode anyways)
2. If we switch it to dual mode when you set something to record does it always use tuner 2? Thats OK if it does as when its in dual mode that would really only be in the summer when the "party garage" is being used too (we dont use it when it gets cold out) ;)
3. Does the 625 have NBR (series record) where it will record all the new shows of say 2 1/2 men if you tell it to?

This one is just a precaution because I hope this doesnt happen ;)

What happens when you have back to back recordings on the same channel and want to record something else. Will it work? Here is what I mean. If we set a recording to record the first 4 shows Monday's on CBS the timers would be set for
7:00, 7:30, 8:00, 8:31 (separate shows) with a 1 minute start early/end late option. So for 2 minutes (7:29-7:31) 2 shows on the same channel are recording. If another timer is set during that time (7-8:00) will it record too? Reason I ask is on my Directv DVR's the R22 is smart enough to see "oh same channel so no issues" and for 2 minutes it actually records 3 shows but the R15 is dumb and thinks that 2 minute overlap is 2 different shows then I can't record another show.

On a side note I called Dish to see what they could offer. First they told me we had to switch to EA because Minneapolis is now an EA city.....its actually dual arc and he doesnt have HD so why switch?
Then they said they had to send a tech out to install it for $95 or more (they didnt know) because the dish couldnt support all the receivers. Um yeah it can ;)
DP quad into a DP44+ switch...3 311's and a 322 with separator...we'll replace a 311 with the 625 so we can still use one line with the separator.
I forget the price they gave me too but it sounded crazy.

Oh and just to verify to go from 3 311's/322 to a 625/322/2 311's it will be $13 more per month
old
322 included + 7 + 7 + 7 = 21

new
625 included + 14 (322) +7 +7 + 6 for DVR = $34

thanks guys!

What happens when you have back to back recordings on the same channel and want to record something else. Will it work? Here is what I mean. If we set a recording to record the first 4 shows Monday's on CBS the timers would be set for
7:00, 7:30, 8:00, 8:31 (separate shows) with a 1 minute start early/end late option. So for 2 minutes (7:29-7:31) 2 shows on the same channel are recording. If another timer is set during that time (7-8:00) will it record too? Reason I ask is on my Directv DVR's the R22 is smart enough to see "oh same channel so no issues" and for 2 minutes it actually records 3 shows but the R15 is dumb and thinks that 2 minute overlap is 2 different shows then I can't record another show.
The DISH DVR will automatically drop the before and/or after padding (if left at the default 1 min early 3 min late setting) on back to back recordings. So if they are on the same channel you may find the end of a show at the beginning of the next, if they are on different channels you may lose the final few seconds (whatever amount the show goes over).

Been a while since I had a 625, but here I go. The software appears very similar to the vip 622/722 series, so if you ever saw that in action, it gives you a good idea of what to expect.

1. In the single mode it pretty much would work like my Directv DVR's do where one tuner is to watch or record and the 2nd is to record only right?
(most of the time it will be set in this mode anyways)

Yes. But don't forget you have the ability to use both live with PiP and swap. So the second tuner can primarily be for recording, but not exclusively.

2. If we switch it to dual mode when you set something to record does it always use tuner 2? Thats OK if it does as when its in dual mode that would really only be in the summer when the "party garage" is being used too (we dont use it when it gets cold out) ;)

It defaults to TV2, but you can change it to default to TV1. However, you cannot pick and choose what it uses, only what tuner it tries first.

However, if both won't be used at the same time, you should be able to leave it on single, as the agile output will just send out TV1

3. Does the 625 have NBR (series record) where it will record all the new shows of say 2 1/2 men if you tell it to?

Yes. Sometime it will record repeats if the guide data is screwed up, figuring better safe than sorry. But it works most of the time.

Yes, it just eliminates the overlap, so sometimes the last 30 seconds is on the next recording. One of my long feature request has been to have a shared portion of recording, so each can have padding, but Dish has never delivered.

I'm no expert on switches and fees, so someone else can comment on the rest.

The DISH DVR will automatically drop the before and/or after padding (if left at the default 1 min early 3 min late setting) on back to back recordings. So if they are on the same channel you may find the end of a show at the beginning of the next, if they are on different channels you may lose the final few seconds (whatever amount the show goes over).

ok good to know. This would really only happen on Monday's when he has the back to back to back stuff on CBS ;)

Yes. But don't forget you have the ability to use both live with PiP and swap. So the second tuner can primarily be for recording, but not exclusively.
oh I know but we're talking simplicity here with my dad. ;) He has a hard enough time figuring out what channel to leave the TV on for the 322 TV2 ;)

It defaults to TV2, but you can change it to default to TV1. However, you cannot pick and choose what it uses, only what tuner it tries first.

However, if both won't be used at the same time, you should be able to leave it on single, as the agile output will just send out TV1
ok good to know

Yes, it just eliminates the overlap, so sometimes the last 30 seconds is on the next recording. One of my long feature request has been to have a shared portion of recording, so each can have padding, but Dish has never delivered.

see thats what my R22 does. If I record back to back on the same channel it will get the overlap on both so you'll have (as example)
show 1 from 7:59 to 8:31
show 2 from 8:29 to 9:01

To change the record default you have to be in Dual Mode,then Menu,Preferences-8,Record Plus-5,then you can select which tuner to record default to.;)

Let me be the first to Welcome your Dad to the wonderful world of the 625,and the wonderful world of the 2 hour pause and 2-120 minute live buffers!.:D

To change the record default you have to be in Dual Mode,then Menu,Preferences-8,Record Plus-5,then you can select which tuner to record default to.;)
good to know. After talking with him today on the 2 1/2 hour drive to the cabin the receiver will be in single mode. He doesnt plan on sitting in the garage watching TV like he does in the summer for a while (we gonna have frost tonight) :eek:

Let me be the first to Welcome your Dad to the wonderful world of the 625,and the wonderful world of the 2 hour pause and 2-120 minute live buffers!.:D

Let me get him acquainted on how to use the DVR after he records something first before I teach him the other stuff ;)
He already said "ya better write down how to watch something so I dont have to call you while you're working" ;)

OK got the 625 set up for him and activated through Dish chat (damn chat is soooo much easier than calling in)

Made sure it was set to tuner 2 to record and was setting up some timers for him. Then ran into a issue that I want to make sure its right.

One of the shows he records is 2 1/2 men. So I went to Monday to CBS and selected it. It gave me the options to record once, all or new. Here is where I got worried. I understand if I select all it records all episodes on CBS. But its also on another station (my29) from 6-7 each day. If I select all does it only record the episodes on my local CBS (WCCO 4) or does it record ALL episodes from ALL channels that he subs to (I think its on TBS or FX too).

Also if he is watching a program on TV1 and wants to record it now when you hit record it defaults to tuner 1...can you change it to tuner 2 or does that only work in single mode?

OK got the 625 set up for him and activated through Dish chat (damn chat is soooo much easier than calling in)

Made sure it was set to tuner 2 to record and was setting up some timers for him. Then ran into a issue that I want to make sure its right.

One of the shows he records is 2 1/2 men. So I went to Monday to CBS and selected it. It gave me the options to record once, all or new. Here is where I got worried. I understand if I select all it records all episodes on CBS. But its also on another station (my29) from 6-7 each day. If I select all does it only record the episodes on my local CBS (WCCO 4) or does it record ALL episodes from ALL channels that he subs to (I think its on TBS or FX too).

Also if he is watching a program on TV1 and wants to record it now when you hit record it defaults to tuner 1...can you change it to tuner 2 or does that only work in single mode?

It will record from all the channels he subscribes to if you select"ALL".

Did you go into Dual Mode and set the default to Tuner 2?.It should always go to Tuner 2 if you have it set that way through Record Plus.It will select Tuner 1 if something else has been scheduled to record at that time.

You can also do a Dish Pass.you can also select the channel when you press the DVR button twice,select schedule,timers,manual timer.

Another little trick I have found with the 625,if for any reason the Info button doesn't show the right information(when your in the guide), cancel out of the guide and press the Live TV button then when you go back into the guide and press Info the information displayed will be correct.

If you get a chance press the "position" button on the remote control,then you can see what's on tuner 1 and tuner 2 at the same time.Don't you wish the R15 and R22 could do that?.;):D

Last edited:
a timer set from the guide - all will record all showings only on that channel. If you want to record all showing on all channels you would use Dishpass for that.

Did you go into Dual Mode and set the default to Tuner 2?.It should always go to Tuner 2 if you have it set that way through Record Plus.It will select Tuner 1 if something else has been scheduled to record at that time.

default says tuner 2. When I set up the timers tonight in the guide it shows a "2" by the record part. But in dual mode I was on TV1 and hit record (I needed to record something to show my dad how to use the DVR) it recorded on tuner 1..tuner 2 was off

if you are setting a timer on CBS all is all on you CBS channel.
only a DISHPASS timer will/can record on multiple channels with a single timer.

so if I was in single mode and I did that (hit record on a program that was on right now) would it default to tuner 2?

default says tuner 2. When I set up the timers tonight in the guide it shows a "2" by the record part. But in dual mode I was on TV1 and hit record (I needed to record something to show my dad how to use the DVR) it recorded on tuner 1..tuner 2 was off
If you want to record a live program a banner appears and you can choose in which tuner to record. This is a little tricky if you are watching a program and want to record the rest of the show you can select either tuner to record, but if you rewind the program to recorded from the start you have to use the tuner you are actually watching, if you use the other tuner you will miss the rewinded part. I hope you understand what Im trying to say.

yep I understand.

I guess we'll just play with it and see how many days before he blows it up.

I told my dad "This button (watch TV) gets you out of pretty much anything you screw up" :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts