Dying HWS

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

david_jr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 7, 2007
Hancock, MA - The Berkshires
This has been going on since the fall. Family Room HWS loses DVR functionality and warning saying hard drive services are unavailable. Sometimes a hard reboot by pulling the plug for a minute gets it back so you can watch live TV and sometimes the DVR even comes back and it is fine for weeks. Think we are about tired of dealing with it at this point as it keeps getting worse. Will DISH still mail a replacement or are they insisting on a truck roll? Right now I would think that is there preferred response during the pandemic. Anyone do a swap recently?

I had a HWS replaced in December, but I was having connectivity issues with wireless joey's. The sent a tech to check everything out and he ended up replacing the HWS. When I first moved to our new house in May of 2017 they did send me a replacement HWS without a tech, as a software update got corrupted on the original, so it may be possible.

Reactions: charlesrshell
This has been going on since the fall. Family Room HWS loses DVR functionality and warning saying hard drive services are unavailable. Sometimes a hard reboot by pulling the plug for a minute gets it back so you can watch live TV and sometimes the DVR even comes back and it is fine for weeks. Think we are about tired of dealing with it at this point as it keeps getting worse. Will DISH still mail a replacement or are they insisting on a truck roll? Right now I would think that is there preferred response during the pandemic. Anyone do a swap recently?
The first time you saw Hard Drive errors, you should have had it replaced. Crazy as it may seem, hard drive error warnings actually DO mean the Hard Drive is failing..... Hard Reboots are a placebo. An issue is an issue

The first time you saw Hard Drive errors, you should have had it replaced. Crazy as it may seem, hard drive error warnings actually DO mean the Hard Drive is failing..... Hard Reboots are a placebo. An issue is an issue

Had a feeling that was the case. Thanks for the input. Not sure if the H3 leap is in the cards right now. Will see what Mama thinks.

I replaced my HWS early last month due to a failed phone (rj11) circuit. At the time I just didn't want to commit to a 2 year contract. And I have no need for 16 tuners.

Reactions: joewhite57
I replaced my HWS early last month due to a failed phone (rj11) circuit. At the time I just didn't want to commit to a 2 year contract. And I have no need for 16 tuners.
Do you ever find yourself doing schedule maneuvers because you only have 3 tuners or overlap in programming?. I know I did with my Hopper 2000. So, once I got a Hopper 3 all of that thinking was gone. Do I need 16 tuners, no. But I often find myself record 5 or 6 things at any particular moment. Do you really think you might go another direction for your viewing needs in the next 2 years? I'd bit the bullet and go for the upgrade.

Do you ever find yourself doing schedule maneuvers because you only have 3 tuners or overlap in programming?. I know I did with my Hopper 2000. So, once I got a Hopper 3 all of that thinking was gone. Do I need 16 tuners, no. But I often find myself record 5 or 6 things at any particular moment. Do you really think you might go another direction for your viewing needs in the next 2 years? I'd bit the bullet and go for the upgrade.

Yes I do with my HWS, especially since I have 3 tv's connected (2 wireless Joeys), sometimes I have to tell it to skip a prime time recording for a later showing to not tie up all three timers at the same time, wife and stepson might not appreciate that. I have thought about stepping up to a H3 but do not want to pay extra for the upgrade.

Are the fees more on a Hopper 3 than HWS? I am paying $36 in fees now (HWS $15, and 3 WJ at $7 a pop). Don't they usually charge money to step up to H3 ($100 and up)? I know when I moved almost 2 years ago and went from my old 722 they wanted $150 more for the H3.

Are the fees more on a Hopper 3 than HWS? I am paying $36 in fees now (HWS $15, and 3 WJ at $7 a pop). Don't they usually charge money to step up to H3 ($100 and up)? I know when I moved almost 2 years ago and went from my old 722 they wanted $150 more for the H3.
The price is the same for either on a monthly basis. With 3 Joeys Hopper 3 would be standard. I’d give them a call to see if they would waive an upgrade charge. You could be surprised.

My viewpoint is it’s better to have 16 tuners and not need them than not have them...oh wait I was thinking of something else. Still like having 16 tuners.

Just thinking out loud here. So just checked my bill from Dish and I'm paying $31 a month for 2 HWS and 1 sloJoey 12+12+7. Thinking H3 + 2 4K Joeys would be $29 a month 15+7+7. Do you still have to pay $50 up front for 4K Joeys? Seems like a lot. Currently 1 4K TV in house, will add a second within the next year in MBR. I like 2 HWS because I can use PIP & SWAP either in FR or MBR. With H3 I could only use at 1 location. Swap still doesn't work on 4K Joey last I heard. Would really miss it. We also have 2 Firesticks we use occasionally in 2 rooms. Still aggravated at choppy trick play DVR on HWS especially from a Joey since the Carbon downgrade. I know I'm rambling. I'll have to think about it some more. And of course discuss with the boss:). A lot of uncertainty surrounds everything right now too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)