E-10 Info - 49 Spotbeams

rocatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
Dish has filed with the FCC an application to slightly modify the design of E-10. I have not had a chance to read all the documents associated with this filing but at initial glance E-10 will have 49 downlink Spots. If I am interpreting the data properly it appears that E-10 will use 10 TP frequencies for a total of 123 spotbeam TPs. Please post if I am misinterpreting this data.

Below is the FCC website address. Note that you need to select the Attachment Menu from the section titled Document Viewing. I have looked at the last two documents.

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/ib/forms/reports/swr031b.hts?q_set=V_SITE_ANTENNA_FREQ.file_numberC/File+Number/%3D/SATMOD2005112500254&prepare=&column=V_SITE_ANTENNA_FREQ.file_numberC/File+Number

mdonnelly said:
45 CONUS spots, 4 for Alaska/Hawaii.

The last attachment is the most interesting to me.

Actually there is only one each for Alaska and Hawaii. The other two are for Puerto Rico and Cuba.

Interesting info in the question 36 PDF.. In April 2004 E* was denied a request to operate satellites at 83, 105, 113, 121. Not sure if that means new satellites or what. They are currently leasing the space at 105 and 121 I believe.

Also in there they were denied moving E4 to 61.5W and then to 77W. The move to 61.5 is interesting, as it is right around when they decided to purchase R1...

HokieEngineer said:
Interesting info in the question 36 PDF.. In April 2004 E* was denied a request to operate satellites at 83, 105, 113, 121. Not sure if that means new satellites or what. They are currently leasing the space at 105 and 121 I believe.

Also in there they were denied moving E4 to 61.5W and then to 77W. The move to 61.5 is interesting, as it is right around when they decided to purchase R1...

This "Question 36" document is a standard part of an application of this type. The applications for satellites at 83, 105, 113 and 121 were all new satellites and since that time Dish has received approval for new satellites at 113 and 121 with the former being Ka band and the latter being extended Ku band.

In regards to the E-4 satellite being moved to 61.5 W and then to 77 W, this was actually a few months after the Rainbow-1 satellite deal was initially announced. By the way E-4 is at 77 W under a Special Temporary Authority and dish is waiting for a final ruling from the FCC about using E-4 at 77 W.

rocatman said:
This "Question 36" document is a standard part of an application of this type. The applications for satellites at 83, 105, 113 and 121 were all new satellites and since that time Dish has received approval for new satellites at 113 and 121 with the former being Ka band and the latter being extended Ku band.

In regards to the E-4 satellite being moved to 61.5 W and then to 77 W, this was actually a few months after the Rainbow-1 satellite deal was initially announced. By the way E-4 is at 77 W under a Special Temporary Authority and dish is waiting for a final ruling from the FCC about using E-4 at 77 W.

E-4 is space garbage. It is in worse shape than a 1978 Toyota Corolla with 500,000 miles on it.

Look here: http://www.sat-index.com/failures/echo4.html

Bottom line E-4 is on life support. The best thing Dish could do with E-4 is crash it into DTV's birds at 101
j/k

RVD420, that is some funny sh*t. Consider the lawsuit if E* crashed Echo4 into the DTV birds at 101deg and put DTV out of business until they could build a new one, launch it, test it, and get it lit up which would take years. E* and DTV would be up there 26000 miles in the sky playing bumper satellites.

Makes one wonder what kind of backup/redundancy/insurance issues both companies have in the event of a meteor hit or solar flare spike knocking one of their birds out, let alone possible collisions.

I don't think there's much debris lurking around in geo-sync at 22k miles out...the vast majority of the dangerous debris is in low earth orbit at around 110 miles up, or thereabouts. That's the stuff they're closely tracking, particularly during any satellite launch.

I find it sad that there are only posts about the condition of the E-4 satellite in this thread instead of any discussion about the significance of the spotbeam capabilities of the E-10 satellite. I guess its the nature of this forum unfortunately. This lack of interest is a huge disincentive for me to post this type of information in this forum in the future.

rvd..that is very funny.....scary part is what if.......I have to believe their are back -up systems or contingencies in place in case of a satellite failure or other damage.

rocatman said:
I find it sad that there are only posts about the condition of the E-4 satellite in this thread instead of any discussion about the significance of the spotbeam capabilities of the E-10 satellite. I guess its the nature of this forum unfortunately. This lack of interest is a huge disincentive for me to post this type of information in this forum in the future.
Well, we could indulge in the same intellectual masturbation that you and JL are doing on dbstalk. :D

dishcomm said:
rvd..that is very funny.....scary part is what if.......I have to believe their are back -up systems or contingencies in place in case of a satellite failure or other damage.

A total loss of a spot beam bird would be very damaging, but both providers should have enough in-orbit capacity to light up all their conus transponders.

mdonnelly said:
Well, we could indulge in the same intellectual masturbation that you and JL are doing on dbstalk. :D

I thought this was one of the primary purposes of these type of forums. There are a lot of topics on this forum that I would classify as "masturbation" whether I would classify them as "intellectual" is another story. Perhaps anything that you don't understand or don't care about could be classified as "intellectual masturbation". I could provide some additional information about E-4 but it could also be classified as "intellectual masturbation" so I will refrain. I will say that it is providing a useful service for the long range plans of Dish. I won't waste my time posting jokes about the condition of E-4 that have been repeated numerous times in the past.

rocatman said:

rocatman, I appreciate the info you are providing. I am following the thread at the other place.

It is just most of what is said goes over my head and probably over the heads of most here except for Hokie, Tom, and a few others.

What, can't anyone have a little fun here. That is what makes this forum so much better than at the other place. You don't have to worry about people taking stuff the wrong way, until now I guess. Grow up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts