E* and Viacom Reach New Agreement

Damn, Charlie cuts a deal with the weakly watched Viacom Channels but decided to wage war against high-rated Fox News Channel? Crazy.

Ergen really picked the wrong target, Viacom was easy pickin's, they would have been clobbered in a Dish blackout. And I would have not minded if it stayed off for months.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$=====

Viacom is going to agree to anything, and probably did, to keep in business. Their stock tanked yesterday just on the idea that Dish was going to drop them. If it actually came to pass that Dish did drop them Viacom would just fizzle out in the dust....

I realize a lot of people on this site, including myself, don't watch a lot of these a channels but Viacom's portfolio is so broad a drop would affect a lot of people. MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon are essential cable channels that are musts for the majority. A lot of people on this site act like these are niche channels that nobody cares about and Viacom doesn't have any leverage, I don't get that at all.

Hours after its official midnight deadline expired, Viacom and Dish Network said they have reached a multi-year carriage agreement, avoiding a blackout of the satellite TV company's 14 million subscribers. The deal also includes carriage of select Viacom networks on Dish's over-the-top service Sling TV, which was a key part of the negotiations.
Viacom, Dish Reach Carriage Agreement
http://www.multichannel.com/news/satellite/viacom-dish-reach-carriage-agreement/404355

I've watched a fair amount of TV Land and MTV Live (used to be Palladia, dumb name)... Glad to see they stay, and I hope they add the HD feed for TV Land...

MTV Live/Palladia is easily my most watched out of that group. I love that channel and would have missed it greatly. Comedy Central to a certain extent as well, but it ain't what it used to be

I realize a lot of people on this site, including myself, don't watch a lot of these a channels but Viacom's portfolio is so broad a drop would affect a lot of people. MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon are essential cable channels that are musts for the majority. A lot of people on this site act like these are niche channels that nobody cares about and Viacom doesn't have any leverage, I don't get that at all.
How about dropping half of the 18 Viacom laggards, and keeping just the 9 high rated channels? I don't need to watch five hours of the Andy Griffith Show every day on TVLand either.

I just don't like Viacom using up all of that valuable Satellite space when there are a lot more channels and HD quality many people would enjoy.

Damn, Charlie cuts a deal with the weakly watched Viacom Channels but decided to wage war against high-rated Fox News Channel? Crazy.
Crazy in the sense that, there was never a "rate war" over FNC. It was Fox trying to leverage FNC in order to renegotiate deals on channels they repurposed but were under a different contract.

Ergen really picked the wrong target, Viacom was easy pickin's, they would have been clobbered in a Dish blackout. And I would have not minded if it stayed off for months.
Who says Viacom wasn't blundered? Viacom saw the writing on the wall and blinked.

A shame really. We'll miss you as you switch to Directv to get Comedy.TV.

Reactions: ChadT41
How about dropping half of the 18 Viacom laggards, and keeping just the 9 high rated channels? I don't need to watch five hours of the Andy Griffith Show every day on TVLand either.

I just don't like Viacom using up all of that valuable Satellite space when there are a lot more channels and HD quality many people would enjoy.

I'm sure Dish and others would love to do that, but Viacom would never do that. It's take the entire package or lose the handful of channels we know you can't afford to lose.

exactly.
This just may a straight renewal
I suspect that the agreements that are negotiated now most likely include the HD channels, I.E Dish has the option to provide the HD feed if they choose to add it for a channel that they don't already provide in HD.

Lots of folks will watch that 5 hours of Andy Griffith, my mother and dad watch an hour or two of Andy every time it is on TVLand.

Lots of folks will watch that 5 hours of Andy Griffith, my mother and dad watch an hour or two of Andy every time it is on TVLand.

I haven't been watching TVLand on DISH for quite a while because it's in SD. If/when it goes HD we'll watch a lot more of it, especially Andy. :)

Reactions: reddice
I've watched a fair amount of TV Land and MTV Live (used to be Palladia, dumb name)... Glad to see they stay, and I hope they add the HD feed for TV Land...
Looks like Viacom still calls MTV Live "Palladia." Here is a pic of logos from a Viacom commercial.
Viacom Channels.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts