E* and Viacom Reach New Agreement

Lots of folks will watch that 5 hours of Andy Griffith, my mother and dad watch an hour or two of Andy every time it is on TVLand.

Anyone who watches 5 hours of Andy Griffith is probably in a hospital or nursing home where they can't get up to change the channel. That isn't a large target audience for Dish or for advertisers either.

Let's not kid ourselves, TVLand is just being greedy by screening the same show over and over again. That saves them from having to buy additional content.

Last edited:
Reactions: pattykay
I suspect that the agreements that are negotiated now most likely include the HD channels, I.E Dish has the option to provide the HD feed if they choose to add it for a channel that they don't already provide in HD.

Directv added all the HD feeds when they re-upped with Viacom, I'm sure it's part of the deal. We may see some additional Showtime feeds added too for those that care. I think Directv added those at roughly the same time as the missing HD feeds.

The issue with cord cutters is not only an issue for Dish but also for Viacom. Getting a deal done being part of SlingTv is a win win for both of them. Viacom can be offered on a platform (SlingTv) if their service is dropped by other providers and they can advertise that way benefiting them and Dish. Viacom probably realized that they will at least be on a platform that people are going to in the future SlingTv as other subscriber counts fall.

I haven't been watching TVLand on DISH for quite a while because it's in SD. If/when it goes HD we'll watch a lot more of it, especially Andy. :)
It comes on a couple of local channels in HD here WTTO out of Birmingham and WATL out of Atlanta. I sometimes watch on those.

Directv added all the HD feeds when they re-upped with Viacom, I'm sure it's part of the deal. We may see some additional Showtime feeds added too for those that care. I think Directv added those at roughly the same time as the missing HD feeds.
Showtime is owned by CBS now, not Viacom anymore. DirecTV also added all the Disney properties in HD too, but Dish never has added Disney XD and Disney Juniour. Also, DirecTV added BBC World Service when they re-upped with AMC Networks, Dish never has. Point being, just because DirecTv does it, doesn't mean Dish will.

Reactions: osu1991
Anyone who watches 5 hours of Andy Griffith is probably in a hospital or nursing home where they can't get up to change the channel. That isn't a large target audience for Dish or for advertisers either.

Let's not kid ourselves, TVLand is just being greedy by screening the same show over and over again. That saves them from having to buy additional content.
I won't say they watch all 5 hours at a time, but Baby Boomers, that I suspect watch more TVLand than any other demographic are still (and will be) a HUGE part of Dish's customer base. Your oldest Baby Boomer is just 70 now and there are millions and millions more. They are the ones who will keep pay TV when some GenX and Millennials/GenY may go to streaming only.

Does anyone know what channel Centric and Tr3s is on? When I search for them I get channel 371 for Centric and 872 for Tr3s. Neither channel number is in my guide.

I haven't been watching TVLand on DISH for quite a while because it's in SD. If/when it goes HD we'll watch a lot more of it, especially Andy. :)

You can watch Andy in HD now, it is on Netflix in Super HD.

Does anyone know what channel Centric and Tr3s is on. When I search for them I get channel 371 for Centric and 872 for Tr3s. Neither channel number is in my guide.
I think Centric is in the Dish Movie Pack, do you have it? MTV Tres might be in one of the Spanish packages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts