E* and Viacom Reach New Agreement

Dish deal shows Viacom channels haven't lost their value, analysts say
The top media analysts have churned through the forensics of the carriage renewal deal between Dish (NASDAQ: DISH) and Viacom and the results are in: Viacom fared better than expected.

"While we were well aware that Ergen and Dish very much want to make their virtual MVPD, Sling, into an even more powerful/desirable service, we are surprised they were willing to pay meaningful increases to Viacom," said BTIG Research analyst Richard Greenfield, in a blog post.

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/di...vent-lost-their-value-analysts-say/2016-04-22

Well honestly Dish would have been hurting significantly just as Viacom would if a deal wasn't reached.
Despite what the Fanboys think.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: reddice
Directv and U-verse carry it in HD.

Well, OSU and CKhalil18 count me wrong on POPTV not having an HD feed. Strange that PSVue isn't carrying it in HD or it's only a 720p feed that's being carried. (The aspect ratio is 16:9 but it has black borders and it didn't look as sharp as say MTV on the service) Thanks for the correction guys!

As for the overall value of the VIACOM channels, it's a must for parents who have kids (Nick properties) and they do have at least three solid channels Spike,(Cops, Bellator, Lip Sync Battle) Comedy (South Park, Daily Show) and MTV (Teen Wolf, Shannara Chronicles, Scream, other scripted fare) I would argue that TVLand would be the forth but all the other channels I don't really think anyone would miss if they were gone.

Incorrect. You can get HD just fine with a solid 5mbps, I know I did it for years.

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk

I stand corrected........if that is the case
I supposedly have 6 mbps, but every time I download something via the HWS, the picture quality is not as good as the Dish picture

I stand corrected........if that is the case
I supposedly have 6 mbps, but every time I download something via the HWS, the picture quality is not as good as the Dish picture

Are you sure you are ordering the HD version ? I notice a lot of the Discovery Network and Viacom channels who offer on Demand on DISH only offer the shows in SD. Also if it's Starz content in HD whoever encodes the On Demand Starz/Encore content does a terrible job. I noticed the same terrible PQ on the Starz/Encore Play! App vs. HWS even though it's HD. (Gamma is to high)

This is actually disappointing to see Viacom still here. 95% of the content on these channels is junk. With a good showing towards cutting channels DISH could have made a strong effort to keep costs in check. Any increase to this group, even the "single digit" increase that is being cited is ridiculous. I don't want to pay for this garbage.

Reactions: MitchDeerfield
This is actually disappointing to see Viacom still here. 95% of the content on these channels is junk. With a good showing towards cutting channels DISH could have made a strong effort to keep costs in check. Any increase to this group, even the "single digit" increase that is being cited is ridiculous. I don't want to pay for this garbage.

You have a choice, time to move to an area that has one of the Cable companies not carrying them.

You have a choice, time to move to an area that has one of the Cable companies not carrying them.

I have a choice you are right. But we found out really that DISH says that they are out to guard us all against price increases and DISH waffled. Charlie Ergen is quoted time and time again about how the ratings of most of the Viacom channels is falling - and falling fast. He says maybe its time to pull it completely OR get a rate reduction. SO then in the end he nevertheless settles for a rate increase. Seriously, if there was ever a broadcasting group to take a stand on and make an example out of this was the one. There is really not one make or break channel in Viacom's lineup.

And I'm sure there are millions of people who watch the Viacom channels and who don't want to pay for the 'garbage' channels that you watch. It's all relative.

I have a choice you are right. But we found out really that DISH says that they are out to guard us all against price increases and DISH waffled. Charlie Ergen is quoted time and time again about how the ratings of most of the Viacom channels is falling - and falling fast. He says maybe its time to pull it completely OR get a rate reduction. SO then in the end he nevertheless settles for a rate increase. Seriously, if there was ever a broadcasting group to take a stand on and make an example out of this was the one. There is really not one make or break channel in Viacom's lineup.

Remember that this is all just your opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It was reported by some analysts, based on their observations and nothing concrete
That sounds like something to get upset over.... Can I call myself an analyst and go the other way with it and start telling people Viacom is paying Dish? With nothing concrete...

Whatever Viacom got I have ZERO doubts that DISH was prepared to not carry the channels. I also have ZERO doubt Viacom got less than they went in asking and thought they were prepared to take a stand on. Getting an increase is relative, if they did. How much less than they were asking, and how close to what DISH was willing in the end to accept. But very importantly to DISH how much did Vicom wilt on the online agreements because that was a sticking point as we learned more so than money with Disney for example.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts