E* forceing CH 101 on me....

cj9788

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Miami, FL
I never had a problem with the forced recordings of E* propaganda before. The reason I had no problem with it was because I had ch 101 locked and hidden. Well it now appears that E* has taken away that ability. CH 101 is not only showing in my guide but I can not lock it, it does not appear in the list of ch's that can be locked. I will not watch any of the crap forced on my receiver and for the first time in 8 years I am really pissed at E* for doing this. I am not pissed about the ads could careless about that I am pissed about not being able to lock and hide ch 101.

The Recordings are for your benefit (at least I am sure that is what they believe) and if there is no way for you to lock it but you still want it out of your guide then i suggest you build a favorites list with all the channels you want on it and just operate from there... 101 doesn't show in my favorites list neither does 100...

It is not like you can't delete the recordings if you don't want to watch them.. they don't preempt anything you currently have set up.. and you can delete them without any special steps like having to enter a password they give you during the 5-10 minute show...

Moreover they don't change the channel in the middle of your favorite show, without warning, and force you to watch " DVR MADE EASY " without interruption in it's entirety or they add $5 to your bill for every day you put off viewing the program.

so what is the issue?

You don't really like your service and wanted to find something silly to complain about?

get over it.

I am not pissed about the forced recordings I could careless about that, What I am pissed about is I can no longer lock and hide a channel on my receiver. What next will they take away the ability to hide the shopping channels, what about pay per view they can just as easily take away the choice to hide those. What if a channel says as part of the carry agreement that e* can not let subs lock and hide the channel. This is just the begining.

I said it over there, I'll say it over here...
You subscribe to their service, you get to abide by their rules.
I subscribe to season tickets for the Broncos, but that doesn't mean I get to pick the players they put on the field.

I never had a problem with the forced recordings of E* propaganda before. The reason I had no problem with it was because I had ch 101 locked and hidden. Well it now appears that E* has taken away that ability. CH 101 is not only showing in my guide but I can not lock it, it does not appear in the list of ch's that can be locked. I will not watch any of the crap forced on my receiver and for the first time in 8 years I am really pissed at E* for doing this. I am not pissed about the ads could careless about that I am pissed about not being able to lock and hide ch 101.

*GASP* Those bastards! :eek: :rolleyes:

I said it over there, I'll say it over here...
You subscribe to their service, you get to abide by their rules.
I subscribe to season tickets for the Broncos, but that doesn't mean I get to pick the players they put on the field.

Again you are missing the point they will force other channls on us by removing the ability to lock and hide them. I have no problem with the ads no big deal but at least I had the choice of locking and hideing the channel. Next thing will be another channel that E* decides we must have and not be able to lock and hide.

I am and have been a happy E* customer for years since 2001, I love the service and the equipment. I have never had a problem with a receiver and have defended E* on this forum and the other one.

I am just unhappy with the fact that a channel I could lock befor is now being forced on me.

Holy crap, they aren't forcing this channel on anyone. Until there is a requirement that you watch channel 101 (or any other channel for that matter) for a certain amount of time before you can watch anything else means they aren't "forcing" anything on you.

Dish has been using that channel to assist when programing channels are not active when they should be as well as giving it's subscribers info on services and how to do several of the features available on the receivers. If you are not interested in learning what else you have available to you, it is your loss and you should just learn how to skip over the channel. Dish may be forcing the channel to be viewable in your guide, but they are not forcing you to watch it.

I never said they are forceing me to watch it, I am upset with not being able to lock it. I guess no one else cares that they are losing the option to choose which channels we can have in the guide. This has been on of my favorite things about E*. Now they are starting to put limits on what we can hide from the guide. I guess we will see what other channels we will lose the lock and hide feature on.

I have a custom channel list that does not include many channels including 101. Maybe you could do that too?

Yeah I know i use the favorites feature and seldom use the all channel guide. I am upset (and appear to be the only one) that E* is taking a choice to include or exclude a channel from the guide by using the lock feature. It is a matter of time that this ability is taken away for other channels in the future.

I currently lock all channels that I have no interest in. Channel 101 was one of them. I currently lock all shop at home channels, pay perview and adult channels, all the sports crap, most of the music channels and just about everything in the 9000's.

By E* taking this ability away with one channel it is a springboard to others being unlockable.

clockwork_big.jpg

I am upset (and appear to be the only one) that E* is taking a choice to include or exclude a channel from the guide by using the lock feature.

they still give you that option by setting up a favorites list. just set up a list and leave ch. 101 unchecked. use that list that you created to view your guide. it doesn't take that long at all. i have one set up for all sports channels, one for movie channels, and one that has all the rest of the channels that i care to watch. i really don't see why you are so upset.

Yeah I know i use the favorites feature and seldom use the all channel guide.

Then why the Drama Queen? It's one stupid channel. You are trying to make this into some kind of conspiracy. Surely there is something in your life (like spelling) that needs tending to besides ch.101.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am upset because this is just the beginning.

One example is the movie theaters showing commercials before the movie. They never did that before, then they did that first commercial for coke and no one complained, then they added another one and no one complained next thing you know they run commercial blocks of upto 10 mins before the movie starts.

Most people think this is silly but you know what I dont care, so be critical if you must but when they do this on a wide scale basis or to a channel you have locked and hidden then remeber the posts that were made here and on the other site.

Isn't this a bit like arguing that hammer manufacturers are showing favoritism because they only work well with nails and not screws? There is a concept of using the right tool for the job.

While locks appear to somewhat work for what you are looking for, Dish has already bundled in the "Favorites" feature to create a custom guide which provides exactly the functionality you are looking for.

The whole purpose of locks was to be able to prevent kids from tuning to channels that their parents do not approve of them viewing. Unless you don't approve of your kids seeing overly happy people in a cartoon-esque neighborhood showing them how to use the remote and pay the Dish bill, I don't see the problem here.

Then why the Drama Queen? It's one stupid channel. You are trying to make this into some kind of conspiracy. Surely there is something in your life that needs tending to besides ch.101.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

No all the bills are paid the kids are fed and the wife is content and happy, nothing else to do but this really.