E* forceing CH 101 on me....

Sorry you feel that way, but I am not a troll nor do you see me writing about a grandiose conspiracy. I seldom post here or on the other site, but when I discovered that a channel I had locked is now un-lockable it got me upset.
When you come home and turn on your receiver and find channel 101 is on and no matter how hard you try you cant change the channel and after you've went through the diagnostics which I'm sure your fully aware of and you still can't change the channel then you have a valid complaint. What you fail to realize is that 101 is actually a very important tool for the new costumer that if they would watch it would answer the vast majority of questions they have. Prior to my leaving employment with Dish there was some talk of making this happen because of unscrupulous installers blocking channel 101 generally to keep the customer in the dark about what channels their supposed to have or something else that 101 would tell them.

Of all the problems that Dish has this really is the weakest complaint that I have ever come across during the 6 years that I worked for them and 5 or so years that I have been here and believe me there have been some weak complaints about nonsensical stuff and if this is such a sore point for you I'd hate to see how you react when you get a billing error of $500 or more.

BTW, I'm not a fan of Dish except the dual tuner dvr's and I currently have Direct so I thought I would catch you up before you even attempted to go down that road.

Wow. Dude. Chill.

1. Delete the forced recording.

2. Make a favorites list without 101.

3. Enjoy your life.

Nuff Said'.

Oh, and if the Channel 101 always being on drives you batty, set an auto tune timer for 5 minutes before you usually get home and set it for a channel that you would LIKE to see be the default.

Problem solved.

What it has to do with this topic is if no one complains about the loss of the choice to lock any channel in the guide then E* will step it up to the next level.

See this is how it all begins, first they make 101 and 9500 unlockable. Then they make the shop at home channels unlockable, the next thing you know when ESPN or Disney or viacom's contract is up part of the new contract is all our channels must be kept in the main guides at all times no exceptions.

Actually this aspect is covered under FCC rules and regs... actual broadcast channels that have real programming on them.. (not just stuff for informational purposes ).. have to be capable of being blocked by parents.

So it really is a moot argument at this point.... Just make your favorites lists and be done with it....

All this thread is doing now is making you look like a douche and taking up memory on the servers... Now I don't mind you looking like a douche but the more memory that gets gobbled up by this crap the slower the site will become.

So will some one please lock this thread down, we have covered all that can be covered on this topic.

I'm pretty sure the channel locking feature is to prevent watching certain stations due to questionable content. I doubt you are worried about your precious snowflake watching something horrible on the Dish FYI channel, or the D500 channel.
It can be used for that. It can also be used to block unwanted channels from showing up in ANY of the guides.

The favorites is the feature you want to use. And apparently you are.
Sometimes, one would like to see what else may be available for viewing without having to scroll through a boatload of ship in the All Sub or All Channel guides.

I'm betting they had people calling up with questions about ordering PPV, DVR functionality and the like, and referred them to the tutorials on 101. But they probably discovered that some had locked the channel, so they made it unlockable.
FINALLY! The first, and only, intelligent response to the OP.

What you fail to realize is that 101 is actually a very important tool for the new costumer that if they would watch it would answer the vast majority of questions they have. Prior to my leaving employment with Dish there was some talk of making this happen because of unscrupulous installers blocking channel 101 generally to keep the customer in the dark about what channels their supposed to have or something else that 101 would tell them.

Well I am not a new customer and when I was I learned very quickly that the forums are the place to go to have my questions answered. E*'s customer no service was and as far as I know is still a joke. The fact that E* is doing this because of installers is BS they should fire them if they are doing that.

I know this is not the end of the world but I see this power to block the lock a potential problem.

All this thread is doing now is making you look like a douche and taking up memory on the servers... Now I don't mind you looking like a douche but the more memory that gets gobbled up by this crap the slower the site will become.
First, he doesn't look like a douche. And, second, the site won't slow down because of a few posts.

And, if the thread bothers you that much, you don't have to read it anymore than the OP needs to watch 101.

Asking to lock it down just makes you look like a douche.

Wow. Dude. Chill.

1. Delete the forced recording.

2. Make a favorites list without 101.

3. Enjoy your life.

Nuff Said'.

Oh, and if the Channel 101 always being on drives you batty, set an auto tune timer for 5 minutes before you usually get home and set it for a channel that you would LIKE to see be the default.

Problem solved.
Someone needs to explain to you exactly what "'Nuff said" means.

Sorry, I thought of another solution to your situation, and thought I'd try and offer an alternative solution. I won't make the same mistake again. Well, technically, THIS is a similar mistake....

Anyhoo, moving on....

Well I am not a new customer and when I was I learned very quickly that the forums are the place to go to have my questions answered. E*'s customer no service was and as far as I know is still a joke. The fact that E* is doing this because of installers is BS they should fire them if they are doing that.

I know this is not the end of the world but I see this power to block the lock a potential problem.

You seem to really hate Dish. Why not switch to DirecTV, Cable, FIOS, or U-Verse.

Ah but there what your failing to understand. While your not a new customer there are many being signed up every day and it would cost Dish to much money to individually set up so that after say two months a customer could lock 101 and 500. Another thing your failing to realize is that those who visit this site and others ( though they really should all come here ) are not your typical customer. We are the ones who want to know more about what it is that we have and are the type that neighbors and friends ask to hook up or figure out a problem with their tv or satellite or computer as opposed to the majority who want to come home and just click and watch and these are the same that wouldn't know HD from SD which was a news article not that long ago.

As an ex installer I have rolled on many trouble calls where the customer simply didn't know how to do something and they had never heard of the 101, once I showed them they were pleased and it was always the same thing about the original installer who failed to show them how to use the system and never mentioned 101. This is not a conspiracy or abuse of company power, its taking responsibility by doing the right thing and making it harder for bad installers to hide the channel and easier for customers to find it and do keep in mind that the technology changes and 101 is where the changes are broadcast most of the time.

First, he doesn't look like a douche. And, second, the site won't slow down because of a few posts.

And, if the thread bothers you that much, you don't have to read it anymore than the OP needs to watch 101.

Asking to lock it down just makes you look like a douche.

Who needs the pit or sonic babble when we have our very own GaryPen:up

Ah but there what your failing to understand. While your not a new customer there are many being signed up every day and it would cost Dish to much money to individually set up so that after say two months a customer could lock 101 and 500. Another thing your failing to realize is that those who visit this site and others ( though they really should all come here ) are not your typical customer. We are the ones who want to know more about what it is that we have and are the type that neighbors and friends ask to hook up or figure out a problem with their tv or satellite or computer as opposed to the majority who want to come home and just click and watch and these are the same that wouldn't know HD from SD which was a news article not that long ago.

As an ex installer I have rolled on many trouble calls where the customer simply didn't know how to do something and they had never heard of the 101, once I showed them they were pleased and it was always the same thing about the original installer who failed to show them how to use the system and never mentioned 101. This is not a conspiracy or abuse of company power, its taking responsibility by doing the right thing and making it harder for bad installers to hide the channel and easier for customers to find it and do keep in mind that the technology changes and 101 is where the changes are broadcast most of the time.

Who needs the pit or sonic babble when we have our very own GaryPen:up

I can appreciate all of what you posted but it still does not change my mind or concerns about this block the lock happenings. For some reason this disturbs me and I wanted to share my concern on the forum. Trust me had I known people would be jerks about it I would not have posted it.

HELLLOOOOOO MCFLY

As I have stated over and over again I could CARELESS ABOUT THE RECORDED COMMERICALS. This thread and my complaint is about E* now making ch 101 and ch 9500 unlockable. I stated this in the last sentence of my first post. Duhhhhh

BTW In the 8 years that I have been with E* I have never ever had a problem with a bill a receiver or any thing else. I was upset about the whole distant net fiasco but that was it.

E* is IMO the best DBS company out there. I just hate that they are now making certian channels unlockable.

If it bothers you so much that you can't lock out 101 and 9500 channels , then simply use a custom favorite list that you can select the channels yourself. IT is not that hard to get around it. As for the non ability to lock out those channels , why don't you write an email to the ceo@echostar.com and tell him of your problems or concerns? This is a minor problem in the grand scheme of things and I think you are blowing it out of all proportions. But remember this: If you post your thoughts on the forum you are going to get answers that you won't like BUTTHEAD!

If it bothers you so much that you can't lock out 101 and 9500 channels , then simply use a custom favorite list that you can select the channels yourself. IT is not that hard to get around it. As for the non ability to lock out those channels , why don't you write an email to the ceo@echostar.com and tell him of your problems or concerns? This is a minor problem in the grand scheme of things and I think you are blowing it out of all proportions. But remember this: If you post your thoughts on the forum you are going to get answers that you won't like BUTTHEAD!

I am not blowing anything out of porportion. I am simply writting about the fact that channels that I was able to lock are now unlockable. I have already sent the e-mail that you suggested. As to your last sentence that goes with out saying. When people are acting like jerks I point it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)