E! HD and BBCA HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mini1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
Where are they? I watch quite a bit on both channels and I would like the HD feed. My old small town cable system even had E! HD.

What is taking so long for D* to add them?

Guess DTV don't like wimpy channel in both SD/HD lol

Sent from my 1976 Ford Pinto using SatelliteGuys

My guess is cost. It costs DTV less to add premium HD like HBO because they make more money off of it. But I do have to agree that DTV needs to add more basic cable HD channels. If they would have done that already, I would've switched to them by now.

My guess is cost. It costs DTV less to add premium HD like HBO because they make more money off of it. But I do have to agree that DTV needs to add more basic cable HD channels. If they would have done that already, I would've switched to them by now.

Same for me, until they add both AMC and BBC in HD I will not even consider coming back, no matter how many great offers they give me to come back(and they are really good offers, the last call I had from them I could not believe what they were offering me but as I told the CSR on the phone, no AMC and BBC in HD, no coming back).

Also E! is comcast and D* and comcast are not on the best of terms. Maybe next year comcast may force it by putting some NHL games or olympics on it.

Where are they? I watch quite a bit on both channels and I would like the HD feed. My old small town cable system even had E! HD.

What is taking so long for D* to add them?

Just remember its a "best over all thing" and there are nearly 20 million subs out there and they don't ALL have the same views and desires. Companies are about making money and being in it for the LONG term; not about trying to appease the minorities just to claim they have EVERYTHING; that isn't smart business. Think long-tern sustainability and adding every channel just to do it is wrong. Most that are remaining (I didn't say ALL) aren't worth the bandwidth, let alone the costs likely being asked to carry them..

Also E! is comcast and D* and comcast are not on the best of terms. Maybe next year comcast may force it by putting some NHL games or olympics on it.

How much more would Comcast charge to carry a simulcast of the SD feed? I just can't see it being that big of a deal if they already have the carriage agreement with the SD feed. If they were on that bad of terms, they would not have the SD feed. They would drop the channel altogether.

How much more would Comcast charge to carry a simulcast of the SD feed? I just can't see it being that big of a deal if they already have the carriage agreement with the SD feed. If they were on that bad of terms, they would not have the SD feed. They would drop the channel altogether.
well the SD feed may be part of a old deal also comcast may want D* to have G4 HD and Style HD to get E! HD.

I could see E! and Style going together but I'm not sure they'll make them add G4 back, since there are rumors now that it could get sold.

Just remember its a "best over all thing" and there are nearly 20 million subs out there and they don't ALL have the same views and desires. Companies are about making money and being in it for the LONG term; not about trying to appease the minorities just to claim they have EVERYTHING; that isn't smart business.

I doubt that adding HD to E! and BBCA would be "appeasing the minorities." In my opinion, both of these are mainstream channels. The reason they added the HBO HD's first is because they expect a payback by increasing the number of HBO subscribers...

It still amazes me how nobody is ever satisfied with what they've got. Need i remind everyone that it wasn't that long ago that there were NO HD channels because there was NO HD. High definition is great, I think just about everyone would agree with that. But, please people, not everyone can have his own way. Just remember that HD is still in its relative beginning and it will take time for all providers to catch up. At some point in the future everyone will be able to have what he/she wants because everyone is demanding and nobody is ever happy. Perhaps maybe we should go back to the pre-HD days when a big 35-inch CRT standard definition picture looked really great!!! In comparison to HD that picture looked awful, but back then it was considered great. Everything is relative to some extent. Please just keep in mind that, in terms of television, we have it really good right now, and it will only get better. D* has been a leader in HD from the beginning and at some point they will try to appease everyone. If, after weighing all the factors, you happen to feel that E* or cable is better for you than D*, then by all means that should be your decision. But I find it hard to believe that one or two HD channels being offered on one provider is enough to sway you over another. There are plenty of SD channels that I would like to have in HD but can't, however I am patient and will wait until D* can and will carry them. In the meantime, I will enjoy D* for what I like, which is sports and other programming, and I will enjoy most of it in HD. I realize I can't have everything, but considering just 15 years ago I thought my cable system with 60 channels was awesome, I think I can live with DirecTV's selection of 170 HD CHANNELS, even if they are not all that I watch. Just my opinion.

I doubt that adding HD to E! and BBCA would be "appeasing the minorities." In my opinion, both of these are mainstream channels. The reason they added the HBO HD's first is because they expect a payback by increasing the number of HBO subscribers...

No doubt that your comment re: HBO is on accurate, but there's no way I'd consider E! orBBCA "mainstream". I watch a lot of BBCA, and emailed D* more than a year ago asking about BBCA-HD... but less than 20% of the people I know even watch it rarely.

Sorry to say but research their ratings and you would likely find out that even though these may be considered mainstream channels that the total hours viewed or ratings shares likely are not very high comparatively speaking. And thus the masses likely could care less if the channel was even on, let alone in HD. What compelling content does E! offer in HD (especially for the PAYING demographic)?

I MIGHT consider The Girls Next Door and Holly's World as the only shows I would even think of watching; LOL

Yeah if D would add E HD, ID HD, Diy HD I would be a happy camper! Oh and I wish they would include Fox Soccer in their Ultimate package like E has it in their top 250.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

No doubt that your comment re: HBO is on accurate, but there's no way I'd consider E! orBBCA "mainstream". I watch a lot of BBCA, and emailed D* more than a year ago asking about BBCA-HD... but less than 20% of the people I know even watch it rarely.

With all the channels out there, an SD channel with close to 20% viewership (even rarely) is a significant channel. Some of the programming like Torchwood (previously) and Dr. Who is very entertaining. If Dr. Who were presented in HD, I would expect viewership to increase significantly. I agree with you on E! -- I never watch it. I included it in my previous comment because the thread title contained both channels.

I can't prove it, but I feel that there are a number of channels currently in HD that would be watched less than BBCA if it were in HD. It's hard to get accurate viewership data because people tend to watch only HD channels when they have HD tv's. Comparing viewership rates between SD and HD channels is like comparing apples with oranges...

Sorry to hijack the thread, but we are getting 4 new HD channels according to a flyer I just got in the mail from D*.

On 7/27, we get 5Starmax HD East, WMax HD East, @Max HD east, and HBO2 HD West.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but we are getting 4 new HD channels according to a flyer I just got in the mail from D*.

On 7/27, we get 5Starmax HD East, WMax HD East, @Max HD east, and HBO2 HD West.

great! get more people mad about not adding some non-premium channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)