E* HD Subs That Did Not Have VOOM

Smoky

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2003
NC Mountains
If you now have the 10 VOOM channels added to your HD package, but never had the VOOM service before, give us your thoughts. :)

I am happy to see forward movement towards increasing the HD content on Dish. This may be the kick the industry needs. All channels have excellent PQ and sound. I have a 921 and a Zenith 42" LCD. I think I am going to really enjoy Rave. Imagine music videos (concerts) without stupidity... GuyTV is showing Robocop 2 then Robocop 3 then Robocop 2 then Robocop 3 then .....

Almost all the 10 channels are pretty bad. The 2 movie ch are a joke! They have 2 or 3 programs a day and we don't need another ch to show a HD picture to our friends, do we?
Thse are certainly the 10 worst from the 21 available. I want STARZ-HD, MAX-HD,UNIVERSAL! What a waste of bandwidth!

:D I disagree. The picture is amazing. Content-wise, well thats lacking a little. But the wife loves the ultrahd fashion stuff! Give them time, there will be more stuff on these channels now that voom can focus on content and not broadcasting and content. I wonder if Directv will also be able to add their channels in the near future? or cable like Cox? anyone know?

Jon

Look at DiscHD when it first came out it was seriously lacking in HD content. Now its a lot better. Same with ESPNhd sucked at first. Now its better, still lacking, but better. :rolleyes:

Rave is cool. Like the HD 5.1 music. $5 for 10 channels is a no brainer, even if the are lite on content.

j5races said:
:D I disagree. The picture is amazing. Content-wise, well thats lacking a little. But the wife loves the ultrahd fashion stuff! Give them time, there will be more stuff on these channels now that voom can focus on content and not broadcasting and content. I wonder if Directv will also be able to add their channels in the near future? or cable like Cox? anyone know?

Jon

Look at DiscHD when it first came out it was seriously lacking in HD content. Now its a lot better. Same with ESPNhd sucked at first. Now its better, still lacking, but better. :rolleyes:

Being a former voomer I can tell you that YES there are plenty of repeat showings. Two movies in rotation per Cinema 10 movie channel. MonstersHD always had a wide variety of movies. Because Voom did not have any type DVR available it wasn't too bad. PQ was always excellent. Many former Dish sub's have said that even Voom's SD looked darn good.

I agree with others here that Voom will now be able to concentrate on the content. I always hoped that Voom's existence would spur the other sat and cable providers to improve their HD offerings. While I am bummed to have lost voom I am hopeful that Dish's larger sub base will accelerate the general availability of HD content.

Although I was a voom customer I never used it as my primary source of TV, just HDTV. I still am a COX HD DVR sub. Voom's OTA issues, lack of sports and DVR were significant concerns for many. But for me it was always about the HD as a rarely watch SD. I'm currently considering subscribing to just the Dish HD/Voom package. It should only cost me $20/mo to get Voom back and HDNet which is not offered by Cox locally. Anyone upgrade to a DVR and want to sell an 811 cheap? :)

BTW: When is the new 411 due?

Rave rocks. HD news was good for a quick 15 minute news update.

I haven't had a chance to watch any of the other channels yet.

I've particularly enjoyed Equator (enjoy the travel shows) and the Gallery channel (saw some pretty erotic statues!) as well as HDNews (the weather graphics were pretty sharp). For $5, I think it's worth more than doubling our HD programming. PQ was excellent.

It looks a lot like Discovery HDT. Lots of good images and very clear picture (except for the movie channels, but I have not watched enough of them to judge).

I just called to have them activated when I went home for lunch but they still hadn't come on when I left. We'll see tonight (or I may have to call to have them rehit my 921 again).

Huge Adds:

HD News, Equator, Rave, GuyTV

Good Adds:

Monster HD, Gallery HD.

Pretty Good adds:

The rest.....

GORGEOUS PQ. Let's see if it lasts.......