E* info needed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
Ok I hate to say it but I think I'm closer to swtching than I've ever been.

How do I find out if I am under a commitment? Didn't this used to be shown on your online Dish account info? Trying to find out if I would have a cancellation fee.

Also, can you watch stuff off the DVR after you've closed your satellite service? My wife still has about 22 hours of recorded stuff on the DVRs

No sour grapes. I've stayed with Dish a long time and might hang on a bit longer. But the MSG thing really is a big deal to me. I only watch Sabres hockey, but hockey season (for me) is something I look forward to from teh time the Stanley Cup is won. I like it that much.

I realize E* has to do their thing, so like I said... no sour grapes.... but they may be taking my choices away. I'll go to D* if I miss the opener. Or I'll go to IslandGuy's house and watch it there on cable :)

Ok I hate to say it but I think I'm closer to swtching than I've ever been.

How do I find out if I am under a commitment? Didn't this used to be shown on your online Dish account info? Trying to find out if I would have a cancellation fee. DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOU SIGNED UP? JUST ADD 2 YEARS TO YOUR INSTALL DATE UNLESS YOU MADE CHANGES TO PROGRAMMING OR EQUIPMENT THAT EXTENDED THE INITIAL CONTRACT. THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO TELL YOU IF YOU CALL OR DO A CHAT.

Also, can you watch stuff off the DVR after you've closed your satellite service? My wife still has about 22 hours of recorded stuff on the DVRs NO!!

No sour grapes. I've stayed with Dish a long time and might hang on a bit longer. But the MSG thing really is a big deal to me. I only watch Sabres hockey, but hockey season (for me) is something I look forward to from teh time the Stanley Cup is won. I like it that much.

I realize E* has to do their thing, so like I said... no sour grapes.... but they may be taking my choices away. I'll go to D* if I miss the opener. Or I'll go to IslandGuy's house and watch it there on cable :)

Good luck.

I am thinking of doing the same thing. I know there use to be something in your account profile that showed how much a buyout would be if you did it. I just sent them an email saying I was thinking about it. I like watching the Oklahoma City Thunder basketball and just found out FSN Oklahoma bought exclusive rights for the 2010-2011 season. Of course even if the FOX dispute is solved FSN Oklahoma will be on an alternate channel and may not be in HD. Directv has a channel dedicated to FSN Oklahoma and does have it in HD. Also FSN Southwest is fulltime HD not just game time HD. Dish wake up. The more you lose the more people that will jump ship!!!

Well I just got off the phone with Dish "loyalty department". I asked if they could turn on Center Ice just until the MSG thing gets settled. They told me I could get it turned on for $171 and change. My commitment is until July 2011. If they charge me $10 a month to terminate then it's only $100. They offered me HBO and Starz for 5 months for free. "Do they show Sabres games?" ..... "No, sir, they don't" ... "Well then I appreciate the gesture, but it doesn't really help resolve the issue does it?"

That's all they had. I thought I might have had a solution that would work, but they said no. I'm not angry. This is basically a bad situation for me AND for Dish. But it's as much a business decision for me as it is for them , albeit on a much smaller scale. :)

I mean.... if my local gas station couldn't give me regular gas because they couldn't come to terms with their supplier, then I'd go someplace else for gas, right? Even if I know the guy that owns the local gas station and we've had a good relationship. If he can't sell me gas, then I have to find someone who can.

This is a hard decision. I don't want to switch for a whole lotta reasons. But Dish is outa gas so I might have to. I'm gonna sleep on it and decide one way or another tomorrow.

Well I just got off the phone with Dish "loyalty department". I asked if they could turn on Center Ice just until the MSG thing gets settled.

even if they do you'd still be blacked out since they are your local team. Just because Dish doesnt carry the channel doesnt mean they can change the blackout rules

ask someone who would normally get YES if Dish carried it and they know when ESPN blacks out the games they are screwed as they are forced to watch it on YES (that dish doesnt carry)

You guys make a big deal out of this like your going to miss the entire season

Yes I'm pist the channels are gone, but you know they will come to terms in a few days.

They might settle in a couple days or they might not. I could hang in there with E* and miss a good portion of the season or maybe just a couple of games. I could switch to D* and THEY could have carriage issues with someone at some point. I know there's no guarantees.

There are other factors in my "business decision" as well.
#1: even with a termination fee to E* and an equpment upgrade fee to D*, I'll save $300 the first 12 months. After the promos and rebates are gone my monthly bill will STILL be a couple of dollrs less than I'm paying E* now.

#2 as I learn more about how D*'s whole home DVR works, I'm liking it. My wife has been asking for whole house DVR for a couple of YEARS now (really) and we use the DVRs so heavily, this actually would work for us. Even taking into consideration the HR24 can't do 3 streams at once (just 2 sat, rather than 2 sat + 1 OTA as my VIPs have)

#3 D* has MSG-HD where E* only has MSG in SD. MSG is where my hockey games are. I'm not a hockey LEAGUE fan, just a Sabres fan. And MSG is kinda key to watching the games.

So it's not just 1 thing. And any of the 3 I've listed, by themselves, probably wouldn't have me doing anything about it. And I'm not whining about it as much as I'm trying to decide what to actually do about it. No anger. Just trying to decide.

You guys make a big deal out of this like your going to miss the entire season

Yes I'm pist the channels are gone, but you know they will come to terms in a few days.

I said just that when they turned off ESPN News HD and ABC Family HD... still have not been turned back on and it isn't even being talked about any more

I am considering bailing as well. The DirecTV whole house DVR would solve the annoyances my wife and I go through setting three separate DVRs for shows.

If my cancellation fee is under $200, I'm out. NatGeo was the last straw.

If you OWN your DVRs you can continue to watch them after you end service.

my 722s stilkl got over 35 channels including some in free preview, barkers etc DVR still worked.

I set some timers on the remaing channels and ended up recording a movie with a chorus line of topless women..

if you lease the receivers they must be returned quickl;y and E will charge you $15 per box.....

nat geo is a must have channel for me. the retention department must be working overtime

Well the whole thing is misleading to new customers. In my example when I switched from Directv to Dish they were showing Disney, Disney XD, ABC Family, and ESPNEWS were in HD and my first day they were already gone. If someone didn't see the home page they may think that FX, NAT GEO, and local FSN are available because the sheet still shows them. If they are going to pull things at midnight they need to have an updated channel listings ready at that time so someone will not be misinformed.

I think I am going to look into D* also if this isn't resolved in a week. E* is getting pretty ridiculous with this nonsense.

I am considering bailing as well. The DirecTV whole house DVR would solve the annoyances my wife and I go through setting three separate DVRs for shows.

If my cancellation fee is under $200, I'm out. NatGeo was the last straw.

You'll still have to set each DVR separately. It's just that you can WATCH from any DVR regardless of which one physically has the recorded program. That's how it was explained to me. However you can use an online app or something to see your DVRs and program them. Keep in mind I don't HAVE teh equipment yet. This is just how it was explained to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)