E* NFL ST commercial

Lkr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Am I the only one that believes they make it sound like they are offering all NFL games to all subs free of charge and taking a shot at D* for charging for it? Sounds like it to me

What commercial? I don't think I caught it yet. But who knows what E* is doing now. I know lately E* has been taking some shots at D*. But I think they should hit them with what ever they can at this point.

I saw a commercial from Dish today with 2 families discussing how one family talked them into switching from Direct to Dish. They made some good points, but other points were a little missleading. Some points off the top of my head:

1. Why pay more for the same amount of programming (can be true)
  2. Dish offers more HD (true)
  3. Dish offers the same sports coverage without having to pay for the expensive sports packages (not true at all)

I saw a commercial from Dish today with 2 families discussing how one family talked them into switching from Direct to Dish. They made some good points, but other points were a little missleading. Some points off the top of my head:

3. Dish offers the same sports coverage without having to pay for the expensive sports packages (not true at all)

there was also one line that made it sound like the channel is up and running right now and available. i had to rewind to make sure what i heard was correct.

If it is the commercial I saw, Dish doesn't claim to carry all the Sunday Ticket games. They do pretty much say "Get a lot of the games, save the $300 ish you'd pay on DirectV to watch the Detroit Lions play the Cleveland Browns."

Between Sunday night football and the NFL Network Thursday games for 1/2 the season, the Sunday Ticket is less valuable. Unless you absolutely have to see every game.

Miner

If it is the commercial I saw, Dish doesn't claim to carry all the Sunday Ticket games. They do pretty much say "Get a lot of the games, save the $300 ish you'd pay on DirectV to watch the Detroit Lions play the Cleveland Browns."

Between Sunday night football and the NFL Network Thursday games for 1/2 the season, the Sunday Ticket is less valuable. Unless you absolutely have to see every game.

Miner
This is the part that is inaccurate. You cannot get anymore games you get with any provider. A lot of games is the same for all providers, including Direct. And you do not have to pay $300 to Direct to "get a lot games" as well.

The phrase "without having to pay " is the key...

They are pretty much just tossing the sports packs off the board and saying look now...

Is it creatively worded? yes it is. Is it entirely untrue? Not really...though you may get a groan from the crowd if you try to put MLBnet on the pedastal in equal standing with all the european football they may be offering. And thats coming from a fan of both...

So I don't know...I won't call it a lie, but I'm not going to endorse the claim either. Its way to debatable...

This is the part that is inaccurate. You cannot get anymore games you get with any provider. A lot of games is the same for all providers, including Direct. And you do not have to pay $300 to Direct to "get a lot games" as well.

You get a lot of games...

Ok...

Big Deal...

You DO get a lot of games...

Just not all the games...

not a lie...

Miner

SportsCrack...lol...:D

What commercial? I don't think I caught it yet. But who knows what E* is doing now. I know lately E* has been taking some shots at D*. But I think they should hit them with what ever they can at this point.

i saw it yesterday. it mentions the cost of ST and so on......................... the commercials for E* are getting better.

The phrase "without having to pay " is the key...

They are pretty much just tossing the sports packs off the board and saying look now...

Is it creatively worded? yes it is. Is it entirely untrue? Not really...though you may get a groan from the crowd if you try to put MLBnet on the pedastal in equal standing with all the european football they may be offering. And thats coming from a fan of both...

So I don't know...I won't call it a lie, but I'm not going to endorse the claim either. Its way to debatable...
The point is you cannot get the same sports coverage as they claim, AND one can get the same sports coverage as Dish with any provider, including Direct, without having to pay for expensive sports packages. In reality, there is no difference in sports coverage without the expensive sports packages.

And, I never said they lied. Something can be untrue and one can even mislead without actually lying.

You get a lot of games...

Ok...

Big Deal...

You DO get a lot of games...

Just not all the games...

not a lie...

The only issue I see is that they make you believe you have to have the sports pack to get the same games which is not true. You get the same games with Directv without paying for the sports sub that you would get with Dish.

This was very creative marketing by Dish. I will give them credit as it is about time.

The only issue I see is that they make you believe you have to have the sports pack to get the same games which is not true. You get the same games with Directv without paying for the sports sub that you would get with Dish.

This was very creative marketing by Dish. I will give them credit as it is about time.
That is the point I was trying to make. It is misleading.

That is the point I was trying to make. It is misleading.

And the point I was making is that its called marketing...

Whether is misleading is one thing, whether its completely false is another...

I don't deny that its misleading...I just don't see anything wrong with it...

Its the responsibility of the consumer to do their own due diligence before committing the cabbage...

And the point I was making is that its called marketing...

Whether is misleading is one thing, whether its completely false is another...

I don't deny that its misleading...I just don't see anything wrong with it...

Its the responsibility of the consumer to do their own due diligence before committing the cabbage...

That is what is so great about it. It is really riding the fine line of marketing. Directv has pretty much been doing the same thing for years. I personally feel this is one of the reasons that they have had better success over Dish. Consumers don't normally do their own due diligence before ordering a product.

:up to Dish on this one.

That is what is so great about it. It is really riding the fine line of marketing. Directv has pretty much been doing the same thing for years. I personally feel this is one of the reasons that they have had better success over Dish. Consumers don't normally do their own due diligence before ordering a product.

:up:up agreed.

Totally...D*s marketing has always been their strong suit...even when they didn't have a product... :p

The point is you cannot get the same sports coverage as they claim, AND one can get the same sports coverage as Dish with any provider, including Direct, without having to pay for expensive sports packages. In reality, there is no difference in sports coverage without the expensive sports packages.

And, I never said they lied. Something can be untrue and one can even mislead without actually lying.

it's the difference between "true" and "accurate"...

Totally...D*s marketing has always been their strong suit...even when they didn't have a product... :p
Remember I was the first to criticize Direct when they had a misleading commercial during a baseball game. The commentator said, "Get every game in HD all year long on DirecTV." I came out and actually said they were lying. I have since changed it to misleading.

They can make creative commercials that are successful that do not invlove stretching the truth or misleading the viewers. Most of the Dish commercial I posted about was creative, accurate, honest, and successful. They did not need to mislead the viewers with their sports comment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)