E* vs D* programming offer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

davemich

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
SW Lower Michigan
Just wondering which new offer is better thru one year of service. D* offer has $21 off for 12 months while E* offer is $25 off for 6 months plus HD free for 6 months. 50 more channels on Choice pak vs Classic Bronze but Dish has 2 TV's active. I see a $90 advantage for E* for 1 year. Anyone elses thoughts? I was leaning towards D* but now I'm rethinking.

After my debacle last with E* customer service, I'm going with D*. I got them to give me a free upgrade to a 722 HDDVR but they wanted a credit card which we don't have because of the numbers being stolen. I have been a E* customer for 4 years with NO late payments, period. Maybe, and let me say it again, MAYBE E* will wake up and keep me as a customer. Good luck with your situation. To me it sounds like D* has the better deal imho.

Jeff

I doubt E* will give you a better deal. I had been with them for 10 years and wanted to add a second HD DVR. E* wanted to charge me $100 for the other HD DVR and up my bill an additional $13 per month to have it. I gave them several chances to make a better deal and they never came up with anything better. Lucky I have Fios in my area and made the switch.

Just wondering which new offer is better thru one year of service. D* offer has $21 off for 12 months while E* offer is $25 off for 6 months plus HD free for 6 months. 50 more channels on Choice pak vs Classic Bronze but Dish has 2 TV's active. I see a $90 advantage for E* for 1 year. Anyone elses thoughts? I was leaning towards D* but now I'm rethinking.
Just and FYI. For the 2 active TV's only one can be HD. If you want HD on both TV's you will need another receiver. For Dish if it is another DVR, they charge a DVR fee for each receiver, whereas Direct charges one flat DVR fee per house.

For Dish if it is another DVR, they charge a DVR fee for each receiver ...
So if you have 4 TVs, DISH will charge only for two receivers? DirecTV charges a single DVR fee plus a fee for each receiver.

Also:
  • Does each TV have to be tethered to the dish?
  • Does the "slave" TV need to be able to take a remote? I have a Sony Trinitron KV1713 that has never seen a day in the shop and has the same great picture it had when I bought it 26 years ago :)D)! But it was never designed for a remote. It may be the last non-remote model Sony ever made!

So if you have 4 TVs, DISH will charge only for two receivers? DirecTV charges a single DVR fee plus a fee for each receiver.
If you use 2 DVRs for 4 TV's for Dish, then you will have 2 DVR fees and 1 additional receiver fee. If you use 4 DVRs for 4 TV's with Direct, then Direct will charge you 1 DVR fee and 3 additional receiver fees.

Keep in mind, if all of your TVs are HD and you want HD access on all of them, then you will need 4 seperate DVRs with Dish as well (which means 4 DVR fees and 3 additional receiver fees).
Also:
  • Does each TV have to be tethered to the dish?
  • Does the "slave" TV need to be able to take a remote? I have a Sony Trinitron KV1713 that has never seen a day in the shop and has the same great picture it had when I bought it 26 years ago :)D)! But it was never designed for a remote. It may be the last non-remote model Sony ever made!
I do not know how the set up is with the Dish DVRs. With Direct you can have more than one TV hooked up to their receivers as well. But you cannot watch two different programs on the two different TVs. You must either watch the same programming on both or watch each TV seperartely.

I have read these debates all the time and i have been relatively quiet on this matter, but i think I will give my opinion now. If price is what matters to you, then either one will be fine. When it all comes down to it, they are not that far apart on pricing. Their promos are different and with this particular one, Dish does have an advantage. As far as their regular pricing, there is really not that much different. The base packages look like Dish is cheaper, but Dish does nickel and dime you to death on things like local channels and not having a phone line hooked up to the receiver. Both of these are free with Directv.
When it come to customer service, Directv has them beat by a mile. I have had both and to me there is no comparison. I had Dish twice in a years time. The first time, I could not get a reliable signal. I had to call 3 times before they finally sent some one to my house to look at it. The tech they finally sent told me I could not get a LOS because of trees. Which made me ask, why did they install the thing ion the first place. Well a few months later I had a friend over that worked for Dish at one time. We were talking about my situation and he said my LOS was fine and there must be something else wrong. Well I was with Comcast at the time and was getting hammered with pricing, and Dish kept calling me asking me to come back, so I gave them another try. The install came and went fine and the installer said they went up and realligned my Dish which should solve the problem I had before. The next day, I was losing signals again. I called and set up a service call and they no showed me twice. When they finally sent someone, they tightened up my lines and said that was the problem. The next day, the same problem. Someone else came. They said the mount was loose on my dish and they tightened it so now it should be fixed. next day, guess what, I lost my signal again.
I finally decided to go up on the house and see if i could find anything. I am scared of heights so this was a big step for me. After I got up on the house, I wiggled my dish and I swear I could turn the thing 360 degrees around. It was that loose. Three Dish techs havd been up there and could not see this was nuts. I tightened it back up, with my wife helping me with the signal strengths. But every few days I would have to go up on the house and tighten it up again. I finally had enough and called and cancelled. To their credit they let me go with no fees, even though I was with them more than 30 days, but I can't shake that experience from my mind.
Don't get me wrong, Directv is not perfect, but I do feel for the most part, they treat me fairly and that is all I can ask. They show up when they say they will and when they say it is fixed, it is fixed. Just my 2 cents.

I think all these satellite offers are very misleading.
I had dish and my local cable offered me a good deal @ $25 a month for a year.
Two hd dvr's. No contracts. I already have their phone & high speed internet @ $60 a month for 24 months. (now THATS a great deal)
But I checked into D* since I use to have it for many years.
The D* site says $29 a month for 12. And free HD dvr upgrade.
If you go thru the process, you soon find the $29 does not include the hd dvr.
So you go to the next. $34 a month for 12. You get the HD dvr, but no HD service.
Whattttttt???
HD dvr service is additional.
So then you go to the next offer $39 for 12 months.
Oh, also it states NO up front costs.
After picking your HD dvr, you find you need warranty @ additional $5.99.
Then a network thingy for on demand @ $25. But not just one, two @ $25 = $50.
On the right you see your up front costs over $150.
Even though the front page stated NO up front.
What scammie operators.
I just closed the website.
I'll stick with my local cable @ 25 for 12 and my 2 HD dvr's.
The only add-on is local tax.

Realistically, there is no "deal" on satellite tv.

As you can see both promtions are decent and the prices are not to far off. When I was just looking to see how Dish's prices stacked up, the area that makes it pricey is if you have more then one HD TV and DVR, I have two and when I priced it on the Dish Dishbuilder site it was going to cost me about 10-15 more a month then directv.

The post regarding cable....You are pretty lucky, in our area of comcast each HD box has a monthy fee about 11.00 last time I looked (there way of saying they dont have a HD access fee, when they really do:) Monthly DVR fee of 9.95 on each DVR. And after there promo one year is over....price really jumps out, and in our area they have about 20 HD channels

DirecTV does charge for Local channels. They roll the price into the advertised packages. If you opt out of locals, for instance switch from "Choice" to "Choice - no locals", they cut $5 off your bill.

DirecTV does charge for Local channels. They roll the price into the advertised packages. If you opt out of locals, for instance switch from "Choice" to "Choice - no locals", they cut $5 off your bill.

the more u read, the more u learn, I never knew this, but thanks for the info

Bill

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)