So I ordered PPV with no phone line...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ultimate4g63

Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
Home
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums. I got setup with DTV last week and am very much enjoying it.

I had always read that if a land line wasn't attached to the receiver I wouldn't be able to order PPV without calling, or using the internet. I was able to order the UFC fight (in SD) on Saturday and was wondering if anyone could explain how this could be.

I was just messing around and decided to see if the guide would give me the option to buy. It did, so I decided to go along with it thinking it'd eventually give me an error message. A few steps later it said that it was purchased, and that I was now "authorized" to view it. I was shocked. I still wasn't sure if it would work or not come fight time. I quickly canceled the purchase and tried to purchase the HD one instead just in case it did work. I wasn't even given an option to buy the HD one. It simply said to plug in my phone line, or call in. So I went back to the SD one and ordered it up. 10pm rolled around and I was watching the fight.

Can anyone explain how this happened? Will I get billed for the fight (i don't mind, paying, just want to know)?

Thanks!

You can use the remote to order PPV without a phone line. However, once the access card is full, you won't be able to any longer. The phone line is needed to report the PPV to DirecTV, at which time the card is flushed to allow more purchases. I'll leave it to others as how the internet connection can work into this.

If you have a HD DVR and have it connected to the internet via the ethernet port then it will report the purchase that way. If not then IIRC the box will let you do a few PPV purchses and then when it finds it can't call out it disables it.

If you want to do PPV's just use the DirecTV web site to order them, no surchage doing it that way and all receivers on the account have access to the program vs. when doing it by the remote only that receiver is authorized.

I do have the HD DVR. No land line, or ethernet connection.

It's a brand new box, as well as account.

So will I be billed for this? I wasn't sure if the receiver/dish was able to actually send signals back to DTV.

Thanks!

You will not be billed until it connects either via phone or Ethernet. But just like mentioned above, it will disable PPV until your receiver communicates with Direct.

In other words, if you NEVER connect it to phone or Ethernet, you got UFC for free. Going forward though you will have to use the website for ordering or call in to them for a fee.

You will not be billed until it connects either via phone or Ethernet. But just like mentioned above, it will disable PPV until your receiver communicates with Direct.

In other words, if you NEVER connect it to phone or Ethernet, you got UFC for free. Going forward though you will have to use the website for ordering or call in to them for a fee.

Interesting! I wonder why it wouldn't let me purchase the HD fight then. Maybe there's $50 cap?

Thanks!

If for any reason you have to return the receiver back to Directv, or you get a new one, when they receive it they will clear the info and bill you. You should be able to check your purchase info in the menu option for reviewing what has been ordered on this receiver, you can confirm the order there.

no it still gets scanned.. if I remember correctly if the box goes a certain amount of time without billing info for PPV being sent, it will disable ALL channels till a phone/ethernet is plugged in.

What about a smart cards swap? Doesn't the info "get lost"?

no it still gets scanned.. if I remember correctly if the box goes a certain amount of time without billing info for PPV being sent, it will disable ALL channels till a phone/ethernet is plugged in.

I think it starts by shutting down your future PPV access and eventually if you don't call in it will shut you down, or maybe they would call you first.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)