E* wants to take my 811 back after cancelling HD pak?!?!?

bigthrust

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
I just got off the phone with a E* CSR. I wanted to know when my DHA contract commitment was going to be fulfilled (I just wanted the end date) and I was also thinking about cancelling the HD pack (since there is no compelling programing....right Charlie). What I wanted to do was cut back the programming on the DHA plan to A180 w/ HBO (I currently have the Everything Pack). The CSR said that I had no end date for HD and if I cancelled the HD that I would have to send the 811 reciever back to E*. WTF??? I was going to use the 811 for HBO HD since I will still have the HBO pack. Is this normal policy for DISH? Also, I asked the CSR what will replace the 811 and he said nothing. I asked him if I could replace it with another 510 ( I have one already and love it). He said that it would cost me $29 to do that. SO, I have been paying Dish $$$ since 1996 and they want to treat me this way? :shocked Interesting....

When I first posted the details of the Dishin it up promo, I was told that there was a 1 yr commitment to the HD programming pack and a minimum sub level of AT60. If you cancel within this timeframe they can penalize you for the remainder of term(if you own) or will ask for the receiver to be returned (Lease).

Jason

In the papers that come with a leased 811 it clearly says if you have the 811 the HD pack is required or the 811 must be returned. There is NO time limit. There was only a 1 year requirement for those that bought the 811 for $149 on the promotion before.

In everyone's defense the terms have "evolved" so much in Dishin it up know one knows for sure anymore.

Bigthrust it is just another case of people signing a contract without understanding what they were signing. Why do you think DISH gives you such great promotions? They are only great for DISH Network you are paying them $10/mo. for HD Pak and $5/mo. to lease their equipment $180/Yr. now wasn't that cheaper than buying your own equipment. Charlie Ergin didn't get to be a BILLIONAIRE by giving you anything.

n0qcu said:
In the papers that come with a leased 811 it clearly says if you have the 811 the HD pack is required or the 811 must be returned. There is NO time limit. There was only a 1 year requirement for those that bought the 811 for $149 on the promotion before.

Papers? What papers. My dog has papers. From my install last week I have zero (0) papers for:
  • DP34
  • Superdish

Maybe they come after a while?

Barry Erick said:
Papers? What papers. My dog has papers. From my install last week I have zero (0) papers for:...
Barry, you didn't ask for a copy of the work/completion order you signed off when they were done installing your equipment? On this sheet it says you agree to honor all implied contracts/agreements, verbal, written, or otherwise...which basically means you agreed to Echostar's Terms and Conditions which I believe you can access from your account area of the E* website...I think maybe T&C's are even at least partially viewable using Dish home interactive?

Jason

Here is a question for you all....when i got my 811 I just called them and ask them about upgrading to 811....i paid 24.95 for shipping and got the hd package....had to remind her that i wanted the hd package . they never said anything about a 1 yr commitment and never recieved a copy of lease or anything just the reciever....never signed anything ....how could they hold me to 1 yr commitment???????

you never bought the receiver, you payed them the shipping cost, they charge you $5 a month lease for it, and they expect you to keep the HD pack as long as you have an HD receiver...

there is no commitment. if you stop paying for the HD pak they want their HD reciever back. at that point they'll be glad to lease you a non-HD reciever, or let you buy that one.

it's a rather reasonable system actually...

OdiOdin said:
you never bought the receiver, you payed them the shipping cost, they charge you $5 a month lease for it, and they expect you to keep the HD pack as long as you have an HD receiver...

there is no commitment. if you stop paying for the HD pak they want their HD reciever back. at that point they'll be glad to lease you a non-HD reciever, or let you buy that one.

it's a rather reasonable system actually...

OK, so I'm confused. Like klherr said: ...he spoke to a CSR over the phone, paid shipping charges to have an 811 shipped to him, never had an installer out (so no installation papers with fine print on them), he was intrigued by the HD pack so he decided to try it, didn't like it and wants to cancel. He's still leasing the 811, which he uses for HBO-HD to which he subscribes through DISH. What's wrong with that. If he had gone online and had to "agree" to some cryptic EULA before completing an online order for the 811, or if DISH made him sign an agreement and mail or FAX it back to them, prior to accepting his order for the leased 811, then they might have a case. But I don't see or hear anything of the kind in his post. So why shouldn't he get to keep the receiver for which he is paying a monthly lease fee? Seems to me, if DISH wants to put restrictions on their lease, they need to notify the lessee in advance, and get his (or her) agreement to the restrictions, in writing, prior to agreeing to lease that equipment.

He had to agree to the terms of the lease when he confirmed shipment. They make you listen to a recording. Wether he chose to listen to the recording or not is another matter. He had to press 1 or whatever to agree to the terms. HD receivers are much more expensive and they consider part of the price of the HD pak as extra lease money.

I too called Dish to get the 811 and they shipped it to me for 24.95. After I asked about upgrading to the 811 the csr said that was fine and then I told her I wanted to try the HD pack she never told me I had to have the HD pack to upgrade to the 811, also I never listened or agreed to anything as far as a commitment or that I had to have HD pack to get the 811. So if you have to have HD pack to keep the 811, what about the people who have all those movie packages, so they just get screwed out of those HD channels :confused: If that's the case then the HD movie channels should be part of the HD pack.

OdiOdin said:
He had to agree to the terms of the lease when he confirmed shipment. They make you listen to a recording. Wether he chose to listen to the recording or not is another matter. He had to press 1 or whatever to agree to the terms. HD receivers are much more expensive and they consider part of the price of the HD pak as extra lease money.

Dish may be offering different deals to different callers. I had called about two weeks ago, after I saw the promo on their website for 6 months of HD pack for free (for new customers with a one year commitment, blah, blah, blah). I called to ask if they had a comparable offer for existing customers. I was told that if I added (or upgraded one of my existing receivers to) an 811 on lease, I could get the promo. Notice that this offer is the opposite of one where you are getting the receiver IF you upgrade to HD pack. In this case I was offered a promo on the HD pack IF I took the receiver. I understand the HD pack would be free for 6 months and, unless I cancelled it within the six months, I would start getting billed for it after the promo period expired.

I was told that all I had to do is pay 24.95 for shipping, and if I sent back my 6000 (or any one of my other receivers, which are 7200's), "I could get a $25. credit, making the upgrade free". Now, IF there was some catch (which was never verbalized to me whatsoever), and IF I cancelled HD pack, and IF I had to send back the 811, would DISH track down my 6000 which I purchased (along with the add-on modules) and send it back to me?

BTW, I decided to hold off on the 811, because I preferred to have an HD-PVR. I already had, as I said, a 6000 to receive HD. Other posts indicate that others took the 811 upgrade deal and never were informed of the "catch", if there is one. I went online and searched their site and could find no mention of it either. Perhaps I searched in the wrong place. Do you know where I can find that page?

To my knowledge unless you are signed up with the HD pack you would not be able to receive HBO or Showtime HD. You can only get them if you subscribe to them normally + the HD pack.

bigalbklyn said:
To my knowledge unless you are signed up with the HD pack you would not be able to receive HBO or Showtime HD. You can only get them if you subscribe to them normally + the HD pack.

no... if you subscribe to HBO you get HBOHD same with showtime... you dont have to have the HD ak for those jsut the corresponding pay channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)