eagle aspen ku lnb opinion wanted

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hi Laser,
While you can use one of those on your BUD, it is not going to be a simple "plug and play" installation. Most times i have seen a KU LNBF mounted to a BUD the installer has cut a hole in the scaler ring and mounted it. You have to be carefull to cut the hole in the right place. If you look around here you can see where others have done it.

You might want to consider waiting until the end of the month for the new C/KU lnbfs to become available, or find yourself a chapparal corotor or equivalent.

Hope this helps,
Doc

Here is a thread discussing putting a lnbf on a bud:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=47635
There used to be pics on that thread but now I cant see them

Last edited:
StarChoice did use these in both the single and dual output versions. They are only rated 0.8db, so they will work, but are not as low noise as newer LNBF's. You can probably find a lower noise LNBF for about the same price.

The shipping really adds up. If you have any retailers near you, check them to see if they have any used LNBF's or see if they have anything simular.

I have a few of the duals, but shipping is so expensive you would be better off getting one from someone local to you. Where are you located?

Last edited:
I am located near Cincinnati. I have a Eagle Aspen Gold C/KY NB that I put on my BUD but I am a little disappointed with the results. My son likes to watch Montana PBS on ACM3. But we have to put up with a lot of rain fade. He wants to watch it a Grandma's house also.

They have a BUD pointed at IA6 but PBS analog is moving to ACM4. When I tried to get it in on ACM4 the signal was very bad. So my plan was to replace the c-band NB with that KY NB and set them up with ACM3 PBS. They also like 3BAN but with the outage on Sky Angel I could kill two birds with on stone by converting the BUD to KY. It's a shame about Sky Angel because they have a lifetime subscription.

I dont see why you wouldnt be able to replace the c band lnb/feedhorn with a ku LNBF. Most people who are putting the ku lnbf on a BUD are trying to get both c/ku.

What kind of BUD are you working with, solid aluminum, mesh, or fiberglass? If it is solid aluminum you should have no problem. If it is mesh and you cannot fit a pencil thru the holes, once again, no problem. If a pencil fits thru the mesh it will be iffy for KU reception. If it is fiberglass you might not be able to get it to work for KU, as there is no easy way of seeing the size and condition of the mesh inbedded in the fiberglass.

Have you considered trying to find an old p* dish instead? I have one with the original LNBF and it works great for pbs on amc3.

Hope this helps,
Doc

It is a 6 foot mesh dish. I have the same one at home that is working with KU. I have been keeping my eyes open to look for an unused Primestar dish. Hopefully I will see one on someones house and be able to get it for free.

laseradam said:
It is a 6 foot mesh dish. I have the same one at home that is working with KU. I have been keeping my eyes open to look for an unused Primestar dish. Hopefully I will see one on someones house and be able to get it for free.
You might find that you get better reception with one of the large primestars than you do with your 6' mesh. The mesh lets your lnb see more TI than it will with a solid dish.

Hopefully someone out there who has both a 6' mesh and a p* dish can chime in and let us both know which one is better for KU reception off of amc3.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)